Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) ›  Creative Aurvana Live! 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Creative Aurvana Live! 2 - Page 8

post #106 of 416
The box is much nicer than the first CAL!. It gives the impression of a premium product. I know many wont think of this as important when talking about headphones, but for me it's important.
post #107 of 416

Just wanted to post this very positive review on this russian site (I like this site so much I often check it even if I'm not russian). 

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fdetail%2Fcreative_aurvana_live_2%2F&sandbox=1

 

Do note their frequency response graphs are quite heavily smoothed out so it sometimes may represent a slightly more optimistic view but yea the FR response graph is like a mix of LCD3 vs TH900 (LCD linear bass response but roughly TH900 quantity, TH900 kind of mid & highs balance (slight uphill in the highsrange). Curious to hear more about these. :)

They certainly are bassier than Aurvana Live but I like that ;p

post #108 of 416

I've done some raw measurements. Check out if you want. What I like about it is that the emphasis is mostly in sub-bass. So the mids aren't affected unlike most bassy headphones.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods#post_10052487

post #109 of 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpage View Post
 

I've done some raw measurements. Check out if you want. What I like about it is that the emphasis is mostly in sub-bass. So the mids aren't affected unlike most bassy headphones.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods#post_10052487

 

IMO it just covers the whole bassrange nicely and starts rolling off suitably before 200Hz which is what I want it to, it's roughly at that point like CAL2 starts rolling off which avoids the bleed into lower-mids. I don't know what people got against good quality midbass, without midbass the music I listen to would sound awful.

Very interested in these headphones now. Looks like a new budget champ, excellent sound quality for the price, excellent comfort and detachable cable and build quality/looks seems okay (the weak point seems the swivel point, that can be a questionmark regarding build quality possibly). :)


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/10/13 at 11:54pm
post #110 of 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 

Just wanted to post this very positive review on this russian site (I like this site so much I often check it even if I'm not russian). 

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fdetail%2Fcreative_aurvana_live_2%2F&sandbox=1

 

Do note their frequency response graphs are quite heavily smoothed out so it sometimes may represent a slightly more optimistic view but yea the FR response graph is like a mix of LCD3 vs TH900 (LCD linear bass response but roughly TH900 quantity, TH900 kind of mid & highs balance (slight uphill in the highsrange). Curious to hear more about these. :)

They certainly are bassier than Aurvana Live but I like that ;p

Thanks for the link.

 

Google translate is not the best, but from what I understand it uses the same grill as the D7100? :O Or is that just some crazy  Google translation?? The driver seems to be the same, but the speakergrill is different.

 

Hope someone who speaks russian can clear this up.

post #111 of 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaresma View Post
 

Thanks for the link.

 

Google translate is not the best, but from what I understand it uses the same grill as the D7100? :O Or is that just some crazy  Google translation?? The driver seems to be the same, but the speakergrill is different.

 

Hope someone who speaks russian can clear this up.


What I understood is that the diaphragm consists of the same material, bio-cellulose material, more paper (microfiber) like material used in those headphones, if you check the pics it indeed looks very similar. Denon (Dxxxx and Dxxx series), Sony (R10) and Fostex (TH600, TH900) seems to use it. It even has a bit of "suspension" for the driver. It's a bit more like a speaker design than typical headphone design.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/11/13 at 7:05am
post #112 of 416

Just another shot in the dark I am guessing that no one here has a pair of MadDog Alpha pads? I might have to be the first one to see if they work if I can save up the money for a pair. 

post #113 of 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaresma View Post
 

Thanks for the link.

 

Google translate is not the best, but from what I understand it uses the same grill as the D7100? :O Or is that just some crazy  Google translation?? The driver seems to be the same, but the speakergrill is different.

 

Hope someone who speaks russian can clear this up.

 

No the D7100 has a different driver and different grill. Afaik he D7100 were not made by Foster JP.

 

-----

 

I agree to other posters, the bio cellulose drivers look a bit more like the ones used in speakers. I believe those drivers made by Foster are among the best ever made. Still love my modified CAL! more than all other portable headphones available today. Most natural sound.

 

I was wondering about one detail I found in this picture: http://twojepc.pl/html/Test-Recenzja-Creative-Aurvana-Live!2/36.jpg

There appears to be a rectangular gap on the back side of the baffle. Another gap on the corresponding cup.

To me this looks like a port ! Can one of the CAL!2 owners confirm this ?

This would explain higher precision, better bass and soundstage (I installed a port on my modded CAL!1 a long time ago and that was exactly what happened to the sound).

 

At the same time it would mean that the CAL!2 are not closed cans but half open...


Edited by zachgraz - 12/11/13 at 8:08am
post #114 of 416

If the drivers are the same as in the first CAL! how can they be so much better in the new CAL2?

 

Is Creative tweaking the drivers? I don't much about this stuff, I'd appreciate an explanation :)

 

Thanks


Edited by Quaresma - 12/11/13 at 12:35pm
post #115 of 416

how do these compare to the momentum interms of clarity and timbre?

post #116 of 416
Same way $300 mad dogs are created from $100 fostex. It is all about tweaking, search it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaresma View Post

If the drivers are the same as in the first CAL! how can they be so much better in the new CAL2?

Is Creative tweaking the drivers? I don't much about this stuff, I'd appreciate an explanation smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Edited by bixby - 12/11/13 at 1:53pm
post #117 of 416

The drivers are definitely tweaked! Much better than the first CAL! I rated this 5 star in my review. Really surprised that Creative put out a can like this

post #118 of 416

Anyone use other cables on this? I'm still using stock cable.

 

I don't like that it's 2,5mm in the headphone end, that really narrows down cable choice, unless you want to use a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter:/

post #119 of 416

Hi there, I just signed op on this forum to post my review and also follow the discussion on this CAL2.

 

ATM there aren't too many reviews on the internet, but maybe it will become more popular later on, just like the original CAL?

post #120 of 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaresma View Post
 

Anyone use other cables on this? I'm still using stock cable.

 

I don't like that it's 2,5mm in the headphone end, that really narrows down cable choice, unless you want to use a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter:/

I bought a sub mini plug for it but it don't fit so I have to grind it down before soldering. I don't really have the time to do it right now

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachgraz View Post

 

I was wondering about one detail I found in this picture: http://twojepc.pl/html/Test-Recenzja-Creative-Aurvana-Live!2/36.jpg

There appears to be a rectangular gap on the back side of the baffle. Another gap on the corresponding cup.

To me this looks like a port ! Can one of the CAL!2 owners confirm this ?

This would explain higher precision, better bass and soundstage (I installed a port on my modded CAL!1 a long time ago and that was exactly what happened to the sound).

 

At the same time it would mean that the CAL!2 are not closed cans but half open...

 

Those rectangular gap does act kinda like a port but it's pretty small and the earpad covers them. I will play with it the next time I open up my CAL! 2.

 

 

I haven't had much time to play with it so the only mod I experimented with (besides earpads) is stuffing the inside. The bass is a little more controlled now and the mids and vocals are a little forward too but sub bass is not as good as before. To me this sounds a little more balanced but I'll need more ear time to know for sure. I'll try different materials to see if the sound change, but right now it sounds pretty good.

 

 

Here's a picture of the 2.5mm jack in case someone's interested. 

 


Edited by RoMee - 12/11/13 at 8:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) ›  Creative Aurvana Live! 2