Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 176

Hey, I have a question for those who own a pair. I'm looking for a replacement headphone for my dying Beats Studio and my dead Beats Executives (over-ear travel headphones that are comfortable, aren't ugly or have a super long un-detachable cable like my ATH-M50s do). From what I've heard, these headphones are very comfortable and light and also have a detachable cable.

 

There's one thing that's stopping me from buying a pair, and that's the build material. I've searched a few places, but none of them have a pair on display. What material are the following parts made of?

I miss the very nice feeling machined aluminum finish of the Beats Executives. Contrary to what people say about Beats here, I haven't come across a headphone as well built as the Executives.

post #32 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

Hey, I have a question for those who own a pair. I'm looking for a replacement headphone for my dying Beats Studio and my dead Beats Executives (over-ear travel headphones that are comfortable, aren't ugly or have a super long un-detachable cable like my ATH-M50s do). From what I've heard, these headphones are very comfortable and light and also have a detachable cable.

 

There's one thing that's stopping me from buying a pair, and that's the build material. I've searched a few places, but none of them have a pair on display. What material are the following parts made of?

I miss the very nice feeling machined aluminum finish of the Beats Executives. Contrary to what people say about Beats here, I haven't come across a headphone as well built as the Executives.

 

Plastic, plastic, and… plastic!

 

Your upper arrow points on a glossy plastic, while your lower arrow points to a matte silver plastic.

 

This intense use of plastic means that they are really light on your head, even with the battery and electronics inside, and that, without having you look like you wear the Zik (these are so horrible... less horrible if you stay inside!!).

 

I do take great care with anything, but I feel the 10R could survive a couple of hits. When not in use, you can wear them around your neck, with the earpads turning against your neck. That's an easy way to take care of them.

 

Only issue is, I loose the seal sometimes. I have a rather small head, and the pads seem to go too far from my ears. I will have to fine tune the position on my head.

 

But, I got I question while reading your post… If you liked that much your dead Executives, why don't you just buy another pair?

post #33 of 176
Picked these up at best buy (didn't buy them, I just literally picked them up) and the build felt horrible. Rediculous downgrade from the 1r..
post #34 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass View Post
 

 

Plastic, plastic, and… plastic!

 

Your upper arrow points on a glossy plastic, while your lower arrow points to a matte silver plastic.

 

This intense use of plastic means that they are really light on your head, even with the battery and electronics inside, and that, without having you look like you wear the Zik (these are so horrible... less horrible if you stay inside!!).

 

I do take great care with anything, but I feel the 10R could survive a couple of hits. When not in use, you can wear them around your neck, with the earpads turning against your neck. That's an easy way to take care of them.

 

Only issue is, I loose the seal sometimes. I have a rather small head, and the pads seem to go too far from my ears. I will have to fine tune the position on my head.

 

But, I got I question while reading your post… If you liked that much your dead Executives, why don't you just buy another pair?

 

It's a real shame that Sony's "premium" headphone uses so much plastic. At least the headband extensions are stainless steel, right?

 

In this case, I might get another pair of Beats Executives in the near future. Although the ANC still makes it sound terrible, the speaker drivers used in the Executives are a tad better than the ones in the Studios (1.0). I know because I swapped the drivers out from the Executives to the Studios. 

 

The only thing stopping me is where I buy the Executives - only my local Apple Store sells it, and it's pretty far away from where I work.

post #35 of 176

purchased these during our canadian boxing day sale for 130$, I must say @ that price I feel like its worth it vs other competition that that price point...

anyways, I find it has a awkward seal, I just cant seem to get it right while commuting

post #36 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

 

It's a real shame that Sony's "premium" headphone uses so much plastic. At least the headband extensions are stainless steel, right?

 

In this case, I might get another pair of Beats Executives in the near future. Although the ANC still makes it sound terrible, the speaker drivers used in the Executives are a tad better than the ones in the Studios (1.0). I know because I swapped the drivers out from the Executives to the Studios. 

 

The only thing stopping me is where I buy the Executives - only my local Apple Store sells it, and it's pretty far away from where I work.

In fact, the premium Sony headphone are the 1r, as Trunks159 said. I've never tried nor held the 1r, so i can't tell the difference between the 1r and the 10r.

 

For your question about the headband extensions… I let you guess… yes, plastic again! The only visible metal is the screws, and a little touch of metal inside the connector for the USB cable and the sound cable. That's all! But Executive is made of plastic too, right? Even if they look to be metal made…

 

But if you browse this forum a little, you will find plenty of more valuable headphones than the Executives. Since We, as individual, tend to promote the products we are pleased with, I won't suggest any here, but I invite you to read some topics.

post #37 of 176

Fine, then that's that.

 
Suck it, MDR-10R.
hJWYtxo.jpg
 
And FIY, the Executives are more or less 70% aluminum/stainless steel. The rest is cushions and the only real plastic bit is pictured here: 
CPCTNGU.jpg
I would recommend that you try out a pair of Executives for yourself. It has the unmistakable cold feel of metal.
 
 
Update:
 
Damn you, Sony. Fooled yet again. The yokes in the 1R's are also plastic.

 

fwgN1Xe.jpg

 

Look at that difference.

 

IxUxe36.jpg


Edited by vantt1 - 12/28/13 at 11:45pm
post #38 of 176

I feel like my money's been wasted on the MDR-1Rs given the disappointing build, and that the 10Rs will probably provide a similar experience for less money.

 
By the looks of it, I might return the 1Rs and get the 10Rs instead. People who bash Beats laugh at the size of the 40 mm driver found in the Studios/Pros. The MDR-1R and 10R both have 40 mm drivers, but I expected at least 50 mm in the 1Rs. Negligence on my part.

 

Chances are I won't be able to notice any difference in sounds up to 80,000 Hz, let alone 40,000 Hz.


Edited by vantt1 - 12/29/13 at 12:10am
post #39 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

I feel like my money's been wasted on the MDR-1Rs given the disappointing build, and that the 10Rs will probably provide a similar experience for less money.

 
By the looks of it, I might return the 1Rs and get the 10Rs instead. People who bash Beats laugh at the size of the 40 mm driver found in the Studios/Pros. The MDR-1R and 10R both have 40 mm drivers, but I expected at least 50 mm in the 1Rs. Negligence on my part.

 

Chances are I won't be able to notice any difference in sounds up to 80,000 Hz, let alone 40,000 Hz.


hey, it seems like build quality is one of your primary concerns when looking at headphones -> I would suggest looking into the Sennheiser Momentums Over-ears (all stainless steel metal + real leather, super feather light - $300 at razerdogaudio) or the V-Moda M100 (tank-like mostly metal build quality extensively tested for durability, $300ish as well - on sale $260 was the lowest I've seen at amazon). Those two options have excellent build quality, but note that there are many very nice high-quality sounding headphones consist of primarily plastic as it is very lightweight.

 

I would recommend you look into the Momentums for a very nice clean, clear, well-balanced sound w/ a nice slight consumer-friendly bass boost VS. the M100s if you like the v-shaped sound signature (similar to beats - but with more clarity, less recessed mids, better bass texture/detail/extension, and crisp trebles.)
 

Edit: Driver size has NO correlation to sound quality or performance. You will find the frequency range of the headphones on the specs. Also note that the frequency range is not indicative of the performance as well as a headphones can sound muddy or unclear or unbalanced while having a large frequency range. higher frequency sounds actually benefit from smaller drivers (think speaker tweeters) while larger drivers are more for bass (think subwoofers). For headphones though, the driver size really does not matter. There are great and terrible headphones at every driver size. Normal human hearing range is from 20hz to 20,000 hz, so chances are you won't notice anything at 40khz or 80khz. To notice all the micro-detail of the treble range 2,00hz to 20,000hz, you simply need very well-balanced, clear headphones without a bass boost such as the AKG K701/Q701 or the AKG K550. A lot of high-end "audiophile" neutral headphones strive to accomplish that. However, if you are used to the Beats house sound with their enormous bass boost, you will probably find these well-balanced headphones too bass light upon first listen. lol people who bash beats and actually know what they are talking about are usually complaining about the crazy bass boost, muddy bass, recessed mids, and lack of clarity/detail for their price point... not driver size. hahah. aka you can find better sounding headphones at a better price.

 

Hope this helps and good luck with your headphones search. PM me if you have any other questions or want more detailed impressions of the headphones I've tried.


Edited by money4me247 - 12/29/13 at 6:28am
post #40 of 176

Is there a difference between the bass of the 10r and the 10rc?

post #41 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 


hey, it seems like build quality is one of your primary concerns when looking at headphones -> I would suggest looking into the Sennheiser Momentums Over-ears (all stainless steel metal + real leather, super feather light - $300 at razerdogaudio) or the V-Moda M100 (tank-like mostly metal build quality extensively tested for durability, $300ish as well - on sale $260 was the lowest I've seen at amazon). Those two options have excellent build quality, but note that there are many very nice high-quality sounding headphones consist of primarily plastic as it is very lightweight.

 

I would recommend you look into the Momentums for a very nice clean, clear, well-balanced sound w/ a nice slight consumer-friendly bass boost VS. the M100s if you like the v-shaped sound signature (similar to beats - but with more clarity, less recessed mids, better bass texture/detail/extension, and crisp trebles.)
 

Edit: Driver size has NO correlation to sound quality or performance. You will find the frequency range of the headphones on the specs. Also note that the frequency range is not indicative of the performance as well as a headphones can sound muddy or unclear or unbalanced while having a large frequency range. higher frequency sounds actually benefit from smaller drivers (think speaker tweeters) while larger drivers are more for bass (think subwoofers). For headphones though, the driver size really does not matter. There are great and terrible headphones at every driver size. Normal human hearing range is from 20hz to 20,000 hz, so chances are you won't notice anything at 40khz or 80khz. To notice all the micro-detail of the treble range 2,00hz to 20,000hz, you simply need very well-balanced, clear headphones without a bass boost such as the AKG K701/Q701 or the AKG K550. A lot of high-end "audiophile" neutral headphones strive to accomplish that. However, if you are used to the Beats house sound with their enormous bass boost, you will probably find these well-balanced headphones too bass light upon first listen. lol people who bash beats and actually know what they are talking about are usually complaining about the crazy bass boost, muddy bass, recessed mids, and lack of clarity/detail for their price point... not driver size. hahah. aka you can find better sounding headphones at a better price.

 

Hope this helps and good luck with your headphones search. PM me if you have any other questions or want more detailed impressions of the headphones I've tried.

Voilà.

 
aechjVj.jpg
 

A little bit of metal wouldn't hurt. At this market segment and for this intended target audience, I'd at least expect a hard carry case.

 

A few things that I like about these more than the MDR-1R:

 

 - More streamlined appearance

 - Headband extensions click into place with more rigidness

 - Cheaper

 

But I cannot use Beats cables with this MDR-1-R, because the cable's device end is slightly thicker (and colored gray), so a user won't "accidentally" plug it into the headphone, rendering the inline remote useless and awkwardly placed. Also, it's a shame that the ear cup only pivots, and doesn't fold for added portability.

 

Well, for $53.60. I can't expect too much, right?

 

P.S. on Money4Me's post:

 

Build material is pretty high up on my list; everyone knows that metal>plastic (in terms of feeling "premium"). All the Apple fanboys/girls praise the iPhone's aluminum construction and bag out Samsung for their plastic phones. I own a Samsung, and use an aluminum bumper case to compensate for the plastic build.

 

Where I live, the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears are hard enough to find as it is - the over ears would be even harder to find! Same goes with any V-Moda set.

 

I know that driver size has minimal effect to audio quality. Some mid-high end IEMs (not the armature ones) have tiny drivers, and they can push out some impressive sound. I know that most Beats bashers know what they're talking about, but you know that there are people out there who bash Beats simply for the sake of bashing, with little or no knowledge about what's going on inside (and outside) a Beats headset and why they sound that way (and how to correct it!).

 

Step 1: Obtain Beats Studio/Executive

Step 2: Rewire to become passive headphone

Optional: Install Bluetooth circuit for dual wired/wireless functionality

Step 3: ??????

Step 4: Profit!!

 

On another note, I have the AKG K701s (see my dp!), and I find the Sennheiser HD650 to have a better sounding "tuning" to me, if you know what I mean.

post #42 of 176

since getting the MDR10RNC, how does it stack up against the other Active Noice Cancelling products out there besides the Bose QC' series? I know Senn,Monster have a few ANC products in this price catagory

post #43 of 176

Sorry, that's the MDR-10RNC. This is the MDR-10R thread. I only have the 10R, not the NC. But I have owned the Bose QC15 in the past, and I'm very impressed with its noise cancelling. But because it is a relatively primitive implementation of noise cancellation compared to the 10RNC, which has three adaptive profiles, the long-term effect of using a headphone optimized for use on an airplane in non-airplane conditions just doesn't cut it for me.

post #44 of 176

This doesn't look much like an appreciation thread.  Not a troll or anything but there's a lot of people complaining about them.  Including me lol:redface:.

post #45 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post
 

This doesn't look much like an appreciation thread.  Not a troll or anything but there's a lot of people complaining about them.  Including me lol:redface:.


note: from what I've read the mdr-10r is the downgrade model from the mdr-1r, but they are currently priced pretty similarly, soooo... maybe that's why

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread