Hello all, how's it going?
Firstly I want to say that I'm not an audiophile, though I have researched a fair amount on headphones before. So I hope I don't come off as a complete noob lol.
Now, I listen to a wide variety of music, but I am mostly focused on rock, metal and "groovy" music. I also travel a lot, and because I am a student, I tend to carry heavy books and other stuff in my bag. So I always need some headphones which are durable with a great sound quality.
My first proper headphone for this criteria was Shure SRH440. It wasn't the best but it did its job well and lasted me about 3 years. THing is, they finally gave in this week. I could replace the chord to see if that helps but I think it's time for a new pair of cans.
I researched on ATH M50s but for some reason they fiddled around with it and now it's not so good as the first gen.
Shure SRH840 is good but isn't sturdy and clear enough for my requirements.
V-MODA LP2 limited edition was interesting because of the great bass but it didn't have the sound profile and isolation I am looking for, similar thing with the M-80.
So I came here to ask you headphone enthusiasts for help because I clearly need it!
My requirements are:
1) Great sound quality: at least the same as if not better than my Shures. I listen to rock and metal mainly with some audiobooks.
2) Durability: I travel and sometimes have to run with the heavy stuff in my bag. Even though I take care of my cans it would be nice to have a pair that last.
3) Comfort: won't hurt my head or ears after an hour or so of use. Doesn't matter if it gets a little sweaty, I want closed ear cans.
4) Be portable: so if I am in a bus or a train it's not too big to fit in my bag, won't slip off my head, you know ...
5) Compatible with my sony mp3 player and smartphone.
My budget is $200-$210 max. I realise it's a lot of demands for a newbie, so I hope I don't come off as rude or anything :). I would really appreciate your help though, I've got a trip coming shortly and I am desperate to find a new pair that will last and keep me happy.
Thank you very much.
Edited by retrotoons - 10/2/13 at 10:04pm