I'm new to the world of non-crappy headphones and I've had the DT990 PRO 250ohm for about a week. I went with the DT990 because comfort is absolutely paramount to me and they do not disappoint in this regard. Honestly, I love the way they sound for most songs in my collection. They would be the perfect headphone for me if it wasn't for a significant minority of songs in my collection where the treble is painfully piercing. I've since come to learn that the DT990 is a "bright" headphone with emphasize on the highs. To make matters worse, I've got a Magni/Modi on the way and some impressions from members on head-fi suggest that (the modi?) is slightly bright which at best will make no difference but could exacerbate the problem at worse.
Anyway, I've decided to break-in the DT990 for 40-50 hours to see if it helps any but honestly I'm not optimistic and so I need to prepare for the possibility that I will be returning these headphones. In anticipation of that, I'm looking for suggestions for replacements. My criteria is as follows:
1. Comfort is paramount. I need over-the-ear and I really like the velour pads on the 990.
2. My music taste leans heavily towards rap music but I listen to all genres. Bass is important to me. The DT990 has a decent amount of bass and ideally I'm looking for cans that at least match the 990 in bass.
3. I like the soundstage of the 990 and so I'd like to go with open cans but I'm willing to consider closed back
4. Must pair well with the Magni/Modi stack with the understanding that I'm sensitive to sibilance so I need a can with warm-ish characteristics.
5. Budget of around $200, I may go to $250 if its a really good match.
I'm looking at the Q701, HE-300 (high end of the budget...is it a really strong match?), HD598, HD558. I'm also wondering if I should consider the DT880 or DT770 as I've read that they don't have treble as harsh as the 990.