Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Thinking of returning DT990 PRO...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of returning DT990 PRO...

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm new to the world of non-crappy headphones and I've had the DT990 PRO 250ohm for about a week.  I went with the DT990 because comfort is absolutely paramount to me and they do not disappoint in this regard.  Honestly, I love the way they sound for most songs in my collection.  They would be the perfect headphone for me if it wasn't for a significant minority of songs in my collection where the treble is painfully piercing.  I've since come to learn that the DT990 is a "bright" headphone with emphasize on the highs.  To make matters worse,  I've got a Magni/Modi on the way and some impressions from members on head-fi suggest that (the modi?) is slightly bright which at best will make no difference but could exacerbate the problem at worse.

 

Anyway, I've decided to break-in the DT990 for 40-50 hours to see if it helps any but honestly I'm not optimistic and so I need to prepare for the possibility that I will be returning these headphones.  In anticipation of that, I'm looking for suggestions for replacements.  My criteria is as follows:

 

1.  Comfort is paramount.  I need over-the-ear and I really like the velour pads on the 990.

2.  My music taste leans heavily towards rap music but I listen to all genres.  Bass is important to me.  The DT990 has a decent amount of bass and ideally I'm looking for cans that at least match the 990 in bass.

3.  I like the soundstage of the 990 and so I'd like to go with open cans but I'm willing to consider closed back

4.  Must pair well with the Magni/Modi stack with the understanding that I'm sensitive to sibilance so I need a can with warm-ish characteristics.

5.  Budget of around $200, I may go to $250 if its a really good match.

 

I'm looking at the Q701, HE-300 (high end of the budget...is it a really strong match?), HD598, HD558.  I'm also wondering if I should consider the DT880 or DT770 as I've read that they don't have treble as harsh as the 990.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 9

What are you currently using to drive the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

post #3 of 9
Seems like the DT770 will fit the bill. It has the smoothest treble out of the three (770,880,990), The 880 is the most balanced of the bunch. But for Rnb/Rap type music the 770 would be a better match. Deeper Bass. 558/598 you'll be wanting more in the low end, they have decent Bass but it is very small. Not hard hitting at all. The Senns are on the warmer side so they would pair well with the Schiits but like I said you'll want more low end. Not sure on the 701's, but from reading reviews, they seem bass light as well with a more mid/treble lean. yeah, I think 770 would be your best bet out of what you've listed...
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

What are you currently using to drive the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

 

an E10.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post

Seems like the DT770 will fit the bill. It has the smoothest treble out of the three (770,880,990), The 880 is the most balanced of the bunch. But for Rnb/Rap type music the 770 would be a better match. Deeper Bass. 558/598 you'll be wanting more in the low end, they have decent Bass but it is very small. Not hard hitting at all. The Senns are on the warmer side so they would pair well with the Schiits but like I said you'll want more low end. Not sure on the 701's, but from reading reviews, they seem bass light as well with a more mid/treble lean. yeah, I think 770 would be your best bet out of what you've listed...

 

I suspected that.  I really like the sound stage on the 990 PRO.  I assume the 770 isn't as wide but I suppose a closed can will be more bassy.  Its all about compromise I guess (or an empty wallet..ideally, I think the HE400 would be a great match for me but I'm not ready to spend $400 on a pair of headphones yet.)

 

Thanks for the suggestions.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm looking at frequency response charts on HeadRoom.  Any thoughts on the Custom One Pros?  I was actually considering those before I pulled the trigger on the 990s.  Looking at the chart on HeadRoom, they don't seem to have the treble brightness of other Beyer headphones.

 

Also what about the Focal Spirit One?

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post

Seems like the DT770 will fit the bill. It has the smoothest treble out of the three (770,880,990), The 880 is the most balanced of the bunch. But for Rnb/Rap type music the 770 would be a better match. Deeper Bass. 558/598 you'll be wanting more in the low end, they have decent Bass but it is very small. Not hard hitting at all. The Senns are on the warmer side so they would pair well with the Schiits but like I said you'll want more low end. Not sure on the 701's, but from reading reviews, they seem bass light as well with a more mid/treble lean. yeah, I think 770 would be your best bet out of what you've listed...

 

Well, I just saw the DT770 PRO 250 ohm posted in the Deals thread for $113.  It feels like faith so I pulled the trigger.  I'm still going to hold on to the 990 for right now.  They have been burning in for about 24 hours and they aren't sounding all that harsh right now...not sure if its just because I'm listening with a fresh pair of non-fatigued ears or what. I still have a couple weeks to decide if I want to return the 990 or not. I was planning on buying a pair of closed cans to pair with my e10 for work anyway.  So if I decide to keep both then the 770 will be on work duty.  

 

Is it good to have two pair of cans from the same brand or should I just pick one and buy a completely different brand for work (to experience more varied sound signatures)?

 

I've officially spent more on headphone gear in the past 2 weeks then in the previous 29 years of my life combined.  Does that officially make me an audiophile or do I just have a problem?


Edited by nixkid - 10/3/13 at 4:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkid View Post

Does that officially make me an audiophile or do I just have a problem?

BOTH!!!

biggrin.gif
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkid View Post

Well, I just saw the DT770 PRO 250 ohm posted in the Deals thread for $113.  It feels like faith so I pulled the trigger.  I'm still going to hold on to the 990 for right now.  They have been burning in for about 24 hours and they aren't sounding all that harsh right now...not sure if its just because I'm listening with a fresh pair of non-fatigued ears or what. I still have a couple weeks to decide if I want to return the 990 or not. I was planning on buying a pair of closed cans to pair with my e10 for work anyway.  So if I decide to keep both then the 770 will be on work duty.  

Is it good to have two pair of cans from the same brand or should I just pick one and buy a completely different brand for work (to experience more varied sound signatures)?

I've officially spent more on headphone gear in the past 2 weeks then in the previous 29 years of my life combined.  Does that officially make me an audiophile or do I just have a problem?
I say both...LOL
You can never have too many headphones, here is a sample of mine smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684031/i-c-fs-sennheiser-hd-558-slightly-used-adult-owned
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Thinking of returning DT990 PRO...