Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) - Page 192

post #2866 of 7989

Hi there guys, I've been following thse Dolphin reviews/questions quite attentively, and I got a couple of questions:

 

- How do they compare to the Brainwavz HM5 in terms of sound quality and isolation?

- Where can I get the Dolphins in black?

 

thanks in advance

post #2867 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post

Hope that helps those looking at the onkyo or the dolphins. I will be stepping out for a few hours but will be back if you got any questions/comments. tongue.gif

Great comparison Netforce I really enjoyed reading it smily_headphones1.gif
post #2868 of 7989
HM5 vs Dolphin's, copied from a PM I answered a couple of weeks ago:

"Regarding hm5 and the Dolphin's they're pretty much opposites. Hm5 got great soundstage (for a closed can), are a bit cold (analytical) in the presentation and does not offer much in the bass department. To be honest I find them a bit boring and are not using them much.

The Dolphins on the other hand have a much warmer soundsignature, smaller soundstage (actually the only grip I've got with them) and really nice bass. I think that they remind a lot of the Momentums with a bit more subbass and a tad better clarity.

They both offer great isolation and clarity. I would consider the hm5 to big for portable use though. The cups on them are at least twice the sice of the cups on the dolphin's."

This was before I removed the foam on my Dolphin's. Even if the mod helped a lot with the soundstage I'd still say that the HM5 got the edge there.

Hope this helps.
post #2869 of 7989

it helps a lot. your comparison brought up some more questions: if the dolphins cups is at least half the size of the HM5's ones, does it mean that the Dolphin's are on ear, or are they a proper circumaural headphone? and the previous question: where can I get them in black? white and that oceanic blue are completely off my choices, as well as that green-ish gold. 

post #2870 of 7989
They are around the ear.

Sorry I have no idea if they even exist in black.
post #2871 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
 

Hope that helps those looking at the onkyo or the dolphins. I will be stepping out for a few hours but will be back if you got any questions/comments. :p


thanks, helped a lot. Now I kinda want dolphins... :D

post #2872 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post

So got the onkyo few hours ago



Here are some comparisons and impressions between the modded dolphin and fc300




Bass:
The dolphin's have some bass boost toward the sub bass and it is quite good, tight controlled and little overall bleed into the mids. I like my headphones bassy but don't mind if they aren't especially bassy/basshead headphones. The onkyo have quite a bit more emphasis towards the mid bass and I would call these some standard basshead headphones. It is rather tight and controlled as well and has overall more bass quantity than the dolphins. Though as a result of having more bass there is some bleed into the lower mids. Overall with bass I wouldn't say one is too much better than the other as they both focus on different things, the dolphins with sub bass and the onkyo with mid bass but certainly more. If I did have to lean one way I would say the dolphins for less bleed into the mids and slightly better control though that may be a result of having less bass quantity.

Mids:
Both mids are quite fantastic both quite rich and fairly detailed on both. The onkyo as I mentioned I found had some bleed from the bass. Overall both are very competent in the mids, male and female vocals sound quite good. No real victors for me in the mids, maybe the dolphins.

Treble:
In the treble there are some notable differences. As a result of the foam mod with the dolphins the treble became a bit more forward and while I don't mind that so much I did notice a bit more sibilance as a result. The dolphins overall became a brighter headphones and while I am quite used to it and can eq it down if a song is especially sibilant that may not be for everyone. The Onkyo on the other hand doesn't have an as forward treble but it is forward enough to really sound quite nice and detailed without sibilance issues. I have another pair of headphones that are quite bass boosted with a quite recessed treble, the phiaton ms 400, and those have a quite dark signature. The onkyo in comparison to the phiatons aren't a really dark headphone but aren't a really bright headphone so it strikes nicely in the middle. If I would have to say I prefer the treble of any I would say onkyo as they aren't as laid back to give a dark sound signature but isn't as forward to hit sinilance problems.

Soundstage:
Had I not removed the foam from the dolphins this might of been a closer contest, but as I have this hands down goes to the dolphins. Soundstage after the mod has really improved and I have fallen in love with this headphone again. Even with my issues with the sibilance as a result of the mod I would handily do it again if I had to (though I wouldn't want to since that was a pain in the rear). The soundstage on the onkyo aren't especially small it is quite decent and nice. I just really would say the dolphins take soundstage quite handily.

Comfort:
The dolphins is over ear though my ears touch the inner cup slightly. I have used the dolphins at work without the foam mod and it gave my ears even less space and after a few hours my ears did end up a bit sore. The onkyo on the other hand is on ear though for an on ear ear the cup size is quite massive and isn't uncomfortable for the short time I've used them. My earlobe is touching all of the inner cup with the exception of the top and bottom of my ear lobes which touch the pads. I would imagine these would get uncomfortable quicker than the dolphins but I have only had them for a few hours and been taking them off and on a bit. So I would say overall comfort I would say go for the dolphins though I was moving some boxes outside in this dumb and hot California heat earlier with the onkyos and it wasn't too sweaty for me.

Isolation:
Both are quite good, companies did not cheap out on real crappy pads and though each are not real leather the pleather used works quite well. When I had the onkyo on earlier I missed a few calls from my mother and she was not too pleased about that. At work with the dolphins my boss has gotten upset a few times as he tries to get my attention while I had the dolphins on and I couldn't hear him. Overall I haven't really reached a conclusion between the two as I have only had the onkyo for a short time.

Accessories:
So the onkyo came with the headphones, some reading material, a plasticish bad and one cable. The dolphins came with two cables, a hard shell case, some reading material, and the headphones.

Build:
The dolphins have some nice metal parts and a lot of plastic materials. The onkyo is mostly plastic though really hard plastic and some metal parts here and there. It swivels really similar to a lot of other headphones. Both are built quite nice so no real conclusion on my part and really based on preference. The dolphins did have a bit of squeak in the left cup but I fixed it with some wd40.

Overall:
Both are really evenly matched headphones, I would say in my opinion I like the dolphins more for it's bigger soundstage. The onkyo I would recommend for bassheads with a real good overall sound and real nice treble. The onkyo I got off amazon for $108 if you factor in tax but I am a prime member so I went for two day free shipping. The dolphins I got secondhand from bhazard and price to performance I would say the dolphins perform better with the mod though it does give a more forward treble and give some sibilance. The onkyo are a really great value and I would say they handily outclass my phiaton ms400 in nearly every category soundwise for my bassy headphone.

These are only my brief impressions of the onkyo and even without any form of burn in I did find the onkyo to sound quite good. Not a too big believer in burn in though.

tl;dr: dolphin sub bass based, foam mod removal = more soundstage, bit more sibilant, over ear
onkyo mid bass based, much bassy, beauty treble, on ear

that is a superb review netforce. many thanks for it!

I am a little surprised about the bass of the onkyos. I guess I got confused with reviews with a different model,

I know you don't believe in burn in, but if you stick to listening to the onkyos and do detect any changes, be sure to let us know!

I haven't given any updates on my experience with dolphins. initially I complained of some sibilance after performing the mod. well, that was in essence due to turning up the treble on my e07k to my favored +2/+4 for my IEMs which I use more frequently, with the treble set to 0, the treble really is just nice. extended presence without the sibilance. needless to say, soundstage had improved noticably, as well as a tinge of more airiness to the lower mids imo
post #2873 of 7989

I'm a bit puzzled by a comment of Dolphin being more sibilant after the mod.  It will sound brighter with a more open soundstage, but highs don't sound that harsh to my ears, just perfect.  After this mod, it really went up in value, IMHO.

post #2874 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

I'm a bit puzzled by a comment of Dolphin being more sibilant after the mod.  It will sound brighter with a more open soundstage, but highs don't sound that harsh to my ears, just perfect.  After this mod, it really went up in value, IMHO.

Did they get closer to Vmoda -XS after the mod?

post #2875 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by airomjosh View Post
 

Did they get closer to Vmoda -XS after the mod?

 

In terms of upper mids/treble?  After the mod Dolphin sounds brighter than XS.  It's still slightly v-shaped, but that mod brought up vocals more upfront, though I think XS has vocals more balanced.  Of course, Dolphin kills XS in sound isolation and bass, while XS steps over anything in build quality and being super compact when folded.

 

I was actually doing more listening with Dolphin on a few of my typical offending sibilant tracks, and in a few cases it came borderline close but not as bad as neutral/revealing Ety's or ATH-IM02.  So I guess some might find Dolphin a bit too bright after the mod, YMMV.  So, I have to re-track back my previous comment.  Yes, after the mod it will be a little more sibilant but not harsh.  But I personally will not go back, really like how much more revealing the sound is now while still retaining a powerful bass.

post #2876 of 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post

So got the onkyo few hours ago



Here are some comparisons and impressions between the modded dolphin and fc300




Bass:
The dolphin's have some bass boost toward the sub bass and it is quite good, tight controlled and little overall bleed into the mids. I like my headphones bassy but don't mind if they aren't especially bassy/basshead headphones. The onkyo have quite a bit more emphasis towards the mid bass and I would call these some standard basshead headphones. It is rather tight and controlled as well and has overall more bass quantity than the dolphins. Though as a result of having more bass there is some bleed into the lower mids. Overall with bass I wouldn't say one is too much better than the other as they both focus on different things, the dolphins with sub bass and the onkyo with mid bass but certainly more. If I did have to lean one way I would say the dolphins for less bleed into the mids and slightly better control though that may be a result of having less bass quantity.

Mids:
Both mids are quite fantastic both quite rich and fairly detailed on both. The onkyo as I mentioned I found had some bleed from the bass. Overall both are very competent in the mids, male and female vocals sound quite good. No real victors for me in the mids, maybe the dolphins.

Treble:
In the treble there are some notable differences. As a result of the foam mod with the dolphins the treble became a bit more forward and while I don't mind that so much I did notice a bit more sibilance as a result. The dolphins overall became a brighter headphones and while I am quite used to it and can eq it down if a song is especially sibilant that may not be for everyone. The Onkyo on the other hand doesn't have an as forward treble but it is forward enough to really sound quite nice and detailed without sibilance issues. I have another pair of headphones that are quite bass boosted with a quite recessed treble, the phiaton ms 400, and those have a quite dark signature. The onkyo in comparison to the phiatons aren't a really dark headphone but aren't a really bright headphone so it strikes nicely in the middle. If I would have to say I prefer the treble of any I would say onkyo as they aren't as laid back to give a dark sound signature but isn't as forward to hit sinilance problems.

Soundstage:
Had I not removed the foam from the dolphins this might of been a closer contest, but as I have this hands down goes to the dolphins. Soundstage after the mod has really improved and I have fallen in love with this headphone again. Even with my issues with the sibilance as a result of the mod I would handily do it again if I had to (though I wouldn't want to since that was a pain in the rear). The soundstage on the onkyo aren't especially small it is quite decent and nice. I just really would say the dolphins take soundstage quite handily.

Comfort:
The dolphins is over ear though my ears touch the inner cup slightly. I have used the dolphins at work without the foam mod and it gave my ears even less space and after a few hours my ears did end up a bit sore. The onkyo on the other hand is on ear though for an on ear ear the cup size is quite massive and isn't uncomfortable for the short time I've used them. My earlobe is touching all of the inner cup with the exception of the top and bottom of my ear lobes which touch the pads. I would imagine these would get uncomfortable quicker than the dolphins but I have only had them for a few hours and been taking them off and on a bit. So I would say overall comfort I would say go for the dolphins though I was moving some boxes outside in this dumb and hot California heat earlier with the onkyos and it wasn't too sweaty for me.

Isolation:
Both are quite good, companies did not cheap out on real crappy pads and though each are not real leather the pleather used works quite well. When I had the onkyo on earlier I missed a few calls from my mother and she was not too pleased about that. At work with the dolphins my boss has gotten upset a few times as he tries to get my attention while I had the dolphins on and I couldn't hear him. Overall I haven't really reached a conclusion between the two as I have only had the onkyo for a short time.

Accessories:
So the onkyo came with the headphones, some reading material, a plasticish bad and one cable. The dolphins came with two cables, a hard shell case, some reading material, and the headphones.

Build:
The dolphins have some nice metal parts and a lot of plastic materials. The onkyo is mostly plastic though really hard plastic and some metal parts here and there. It swivels really similar to a lot of other headphones. Both are built quite nice so no real conclusion on my part and really based on preference. The dolphins did have a bit of squeak in the left cup but I fixed it with some wd40.

Overall:
Both are really evenly matched headphones, I would say in my opinion I like the dolphins more for it's bigger soundstage. The onkyo I would recommend for bassheads with a real good overall sound and real nice treble. The onkyo I got off amazon for $108 if you factor in tax but I am a prime member so I went for two day free shipping. The dolphins I got secondhand from bhazard and price to performance I would say the dolphins perform better with the mod though it does give a more forward treble and give some sibilance. The onkyo are a really great value and I would say they handily outclass my phiaton ms400 in nearly every category soundwise for my bassy headphone.

These are only my brief impressions of the onkyo and even without any form of burn in I did find the onkyo to sound quite good. Not a too big believer in burn in though.

tl;dr: dolphin sub bass based, foam mod removal = more soundstage, bit more sibilant, over ear
onkyo mid bass based, much bassy, beauty treble, on ear

Good comparison. Now I know I'm ready to receive my Dolphins. I liked the Onkyos when I demoed them smily_headphones1.gif
post #2877 of 7989
@Twister6
I agree with you on the treble. I don't find it sibliant either. Just more sparkling and energetic.

Might be personal preference or difference between the pairs.....

Edit: Or it may be as simple as different sources wink.gif
Edited by peter123 - 5/4/14 at 12:19am
post #2878 of 7989

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. This was probably my longest written comparison between two headphones and didn't know how well it would come out.
 

About the sibilance, it looks like opinions are a bit mixed about it. Been noticing sibilance on especially sibilant tracks with my modded dolphins, I don't mind so much bright headphones just some sibilance here and there bothers me. But yeah maybe it maybe just me or my pair, still find them a fantastic pair of headphones just the sibilance is my only real negative about them.

post #2879 of 7989
There's a lot of talk about the Dolphins, but has anyone tried the pricier Don Scorpio drama?

I'm interested in impressions on the drama.

Thanks
post #2880 of 7989
We need a little "drama" on this blog lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)