Hey head-fi! I am a budding audiophile that is using a Onkyo HT-R3330 AV receiver as an amp. However, I am upgrading my ath A900's, and would also like to get rid of my receiver. Could anyone tell me it is any good, or any better, than a 100-300$ amp? I was planning to get the Q701's or HD 600's, could the receiver run it, or what amp/DAC could be suggested? And what is the value of the Receiver (I'm guessing close to nil)?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best open cans for $225 US Last post on 2/9/15 at 6:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need Advice: Audio Technica ATH-A900X - Creative ZxR built-in Amp, or Schiit Magni Amplifier? Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do u trust Frequence Response Graph ?? Innerfidelity Last post on 1/4/15 at 7:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Price:Performance Confusion ; HD600, Q701, Dt880/990 Last post on 11/11/14 at 10:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
Foreword As the creator of the Titan 1 thread on head-fi, I have most of the information given here placed in the thread; however, this review is a coalescing and enhancement of the various...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Master & Dynamic for providing me with a review sample of ME03 in exchange for my honest opinion. Master & Dynamic definitely knows how to build...
Hey the bang for your buck ratio is great for these. I got them years ago for $500. I've been using them to replace the little tin box in my TV for years. The satellite surrounds are ignored/not...
So this is my first day impression of the Emotiva Stealth 8 speakers and I will be updating every week untilll I have come to the conclusion that I've finally made it through the burn-in process....
Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Technically the Onkyo's high impedance headphone output is not the best choice for driving 40-Ohm ATH-A900 headphones, so selling off the ATH-A900 for other headphones sounds like a good idea.
I would think the Onkyo could decently drive the 62-Ohm Q701 or 300-Ohm Senn HD600s.
Could a dedicated headphone amplifier drive them better, I would think so.
But as long as you have the Onkyo, you might as well use it.
Getting a decent DAC for use with the Onkyo might be a better value.
What sources are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
I have the Onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the Onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genres
Sounds like selling off the amplifier for the cash is the best move.
Is there an over all budget for the headphones and DAC/Amp?
Guess we can assume your going to play music files from your laptop?
Which kind of music? or all kinds/types of music?
What about games? or movies?
It might help to settle on what headphone you will get before figuring out the best DAC/amp to get.
Technically the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp ($75) could drive any of the three headphones you have listed, but for more cash there would be better choices.
I listen mainly to classic, alternative rock, and electronic. However, I still listen a bit to other genres, such as Latino, rap. jazz, blues or country, to name a few. They will not really be for movies or gaming (although perhaps gaming in the future). My overall budget will depend on how much I can sell my headphones and receiver for. My cap was going to be about 400$ (amp and headphones), and I was hoping to get one or both of them used.However, my max budget might go up if I can get more for my headphones and amp.
- Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 7 seconds ago
- › Interview With Sony: NW-ZX2... Your Questions Answered 10 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 24 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 2 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3