Hey head-fi! I am a budding audiophile that is using a Onkyo HT-R3330 AV receiver as an amp. However, I am upgrading my ath A900's, and would also like to get rid of my receiver. Could anyone tell me it is any good, or any better, than a 100-300$ amp? I was planning to get the Q701's or HD 600's, could the receiver run it, or what amp/DAC could be suggested? And what is the value of the Receiver (I'm guessing close to nil)?
- productAKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Signature Reference-Class Premium Headphones, Whitetagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712? Last post on 9/23/13 at 9:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 1000$ budget, what to buy? Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Entry Level Stax Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:34 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Head Amp/ DAC suggestions for $250 - $1,000 Last post on 6/8/13 at 2:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/6/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 510/1/13 at 6:13pm
Technically the Onkyo's high impedance headphone output is not the best choice for driving 40-Ohm ATH-A900 headphones, so selling off the ATH-A900 for other headphones sounds like a good idea.
I would think the Onkyo could decently drive the 62-Ohm Q701 or 300-Ohm Senn HD600s.
Could a dedicated headphone amplifier drive them better, I would think so.
But as long as you have the Onkyo, you might as well use it.
Getting a decent DAC for use with the Onkyo might be a better value.
What sources are you hooking up to the Onkyo?post #3 of 510/1/13 at 6:23pmThread StarterI have the onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genrespost #4 of 510/1/13 at 6:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by tacgunner1
I have the Onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the Onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genres
Sounds like selling off the amplifier for the cash is the best move.
Is there an over all budget for the headphones and DAC/Amp?
Guess we can assume your going to play music files from your laptop?
Which kind of music? or all kinds/types of music?
What about games? or movies?
It might help to settle on what headphone you will get before figuring out the best DAC/amp to get.
Technically the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp ($75) could drive any of the three headphones you have listed, but for more cash there would be better choices.post #5 of 510/2/13 at 4:31amThread Starter
I listen mainly to classic, alternative rock, and electronic. However, I still listen a bit to other genres, such as Latino, rap. jazz, blues or country, to name a few. They will not really be for movies or gaming (although perhaps gaming in the future). My overall budget will depend on how much I can sell my headphones and receiver for. My cap was going to be about 400$ (amp and headphones), and I was hoping to get one or both of them used.However, my max budget might go up if I can get more for my headphones and amp.
- Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 34 seconds ago
- › Numbers,.... Male vs Female HeadFiers? 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-300 mod removes the dark sound 1 minute ago
- › [IC] Audio-Technica ATH-W10VTG 2 minutes ago
- › Rockboxed clip, EQ and a p 2 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Melbourne - Audeze LCD2R2 Hifiman HE-500, Fischer FA-011LE,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi