Hey head-fi! I am a budding audiophile that is using a Onkyo HT-R3330 AV receiver as an amp. However, I am upgrading my ath A900's, and would also like to get rid of my receiver. Could anyone tell me it is any good, or any better, than a 100-300$ amp? I was planning to get the Q701's or HD 600's, could the receiver run it, or what amp/DAC could be suggested? And what is the value of the Receiver (I'm guessing close to nil)?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need Advice: Audio Technica ATH-A900X - Creative ZxR built-in Amp, or Schiit Magni Amplifier? Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do u trust Frequence Response Graph ?? Innerfidelity Last post on 1/4/15 at 7:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Price:Performance Confusion ; HD600, Q701, Dt880/990 Last post on 11/11/14 at 10:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Tube Headphone Amp On The Way + Questions Last post on 10/13/14 at 5:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Technically the Onkyo's high impedance headphone output is not the best choice for driving 40-Ohm ATH-A900 headphones, so selling off the ATH-A900 for other headphones sounds like a good idea.
I would think the Onkyo could decently drive the 62-Ohm Q701 or 300-Ohm Senn HD600s.
Could a dedicated headphone amplifier drive them better, I would think so.
But as long as you have the Onkyo, you might as well use it.
Getting a decent DAC for use with the Onkyo might be a better value.
What sources are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
I have the Onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the Onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genres
Sounds like selling off the amplifier for the cash is the best move.
Is there an over all budget for the headphones and DAC/Amp?
Guess we can assume your going to play music files from your laptop?
Which kind of music? or all kinds/types of music?
What about games? or movies?
It might help to settle on what headphone you will get before figuring out the best DAC/amp to get.
Technically the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp ($75) could drive any of the three headphones you have listed, but for more cash there would be better choices.
I listen mainly to classic, alternative rock, and electronic. However, I still listen a bit to other genres, such as Latino, rap. jazz, blues or country, to name a few. They will not really be for movies or gaming (although perhaps gaming in the future). My overall budget will depend on how much I can sell my headphones and receiver for. My cap was going to be about 400$ (amp and headphones), and I was hoping to get one or both of them used.However, my max budget might go up if I can get more for my headphones and amp.
- Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 14 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 25 seconds ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 33 seconds ago
- › What are the best BT IEM under 50$? 1 minute ago
- › Looking for something JUST like superlux 681 evo 1 minute ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 2 minutes ago
- › S:flo2 impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Need new headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3