Hey head-fi! I am a budding audiophile that is using a Onkyo HT-R3330 AV receiver as an amp. However, I am upgrading my ath A900's, and would also like to get rid of my receiver. Could anyone tell me it is any good, or any better, than a 100-300$ amp? I was planning to get the Q701's or HD 600's, could the receiver run it, or what amp/DAC could be suggested? And what is the value of the Receiver (I'm guessing close to nil)?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AKG K702 or Q701 vs Sennheiser HD600 or 650 vs Fidelio X1 Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need recommendation Last post on 4/7/14 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Help]A hi-fi headphone recommendation Last post on 3/1/14 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Power Metal Headphones Last post on 2/4/14 at 12:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Technically the Onkyo's high impedance headphone output is not the best choice for driving 40-Ohm ATH-A900 headphones, so selling off the ATH-A900 for other headphones sounds like a good idea.
I would think the Onkyo could decently drive the 62-Ohm Q701 or 300-Ohm Senn HD600s.
Could a dedicated headphone amplifier drive them better, I would think so.
But as long as you have the Onkyo, you might as well use it.
Getting a decent DAC for use with the Onkyo might be a better value.
What sources are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
I have the Onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the Onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genres
Sounds like selling off the amplifier for the cash is the best move.
Is there an over all budget for the headphones and DAC/Amp?
Guess we can assume your going to play music files from your laptop?
Which kind of music? or all kinds/types of music?
What about games? or movies?
It might help to settle on what headphone you will get before figuring out the best DAC/amp to get.
Technically the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp ($75) could drive any of the three headphones you have listed, but for more cash there would be better choices.
I listen mainly to classic, alternative rock, and electronic. However, I still listen a bit to other genres, such as Latino, rap. jazz, blues or country, to name a few. They will not really be for movies or gaming (although perhaps gaming in the future). My overall budget will depend on how much I can sell my headphones and receiver for. My cap was going to be about 400$ (amp and headphones), and I was hoping to get one or both of them used.However, my max budget might go up if I can get more for my headphones and amp.
- Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beats by Dre question, could you like them if.. 26 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 1 minute ago
- › 128GB MicroSDXC genuine or fakes? 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 7 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH-840 vs Denon AH-D2000 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)