Hey head-fi! I am a budding audiophile that is using a Onkyo HT-R3330 AV receiver as an amp. However, I am upgrading my ath A900's, and would also like to get rid of my receiver. Could anyone tell me it is any good, or any better, than a 100-300$ amp? I was planning to get the Q701's or HD 600's, could the receiver run it, or what amp/DAC could be suggested? And what is the value of the Receiver (I'm guessing close to nil)?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 11/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can't seem to decide on a set of headphones, would like some help. Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K702 or Q701 vs Sennheiser HD600 or 650 vs Fidelio X1 Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need recommendation Last post on 4/7/14 at 6:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Help]A hi-fi headphone recommendation Last post on 3/1/14 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Technically the Onkyo's high impedance headphone output is not the best choice for driving 40-Ohm ATH-A900 headphones, so selling off the ATH-A900 for other headphones sounds like a good idea.
I would think the Onkyo could decently drive the 62-Ohm Q701 or 300-Ohm Senn HD600s.
Could a dedicated headphone amplifier drive them better, I would think so.
But as long as you have the Onkyo, you might as well use it.
Getting a decent DAC for use with the Onkyo might be a better value.
What sources are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
I have the Onkyo hooked up to my laptop. I could always sell the Onkyo and get an amp. Besides, it is made for speakers, so someone might as well use it to it's full potential, seen as it is only being used as an amp. If a dedicated amp is more adviseable, could you please give me some suggestions? And my upgrade list is the Q701, HD600 and HE-400. Which is adviseable, or are there any more sub 400$ pairs? No overkill bass, but no weak bass, good all around for all genres
Sounds like selling off the amplifier for the cash is the best move.
Is there an over all budget for the headphones and DAC/Amp?
Guess we can assume your going to play music files from your laptop?
Which kind of music? or all kinds/types of music?
What about games? or movies?
It might help to settle on what headphone you will get before figuring out the best DAC/amp to get.
Technically the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp ($75) could drive any of the three headphones you have listed, but for more cash there would be better choices.
I listen mainly to classic, alternative rock, and electronic. However, I still listen a bit to other genres, such as Latino, rap. jazz, blues or country, to name a few. They will not really be for movies or gaming (although perhaps gaming in the future). My overall budget will depend on how much I can sell my headphones and receiver for. My cap was going to be about 400$ (amp and headphones), and I was hoping to get one or both of them used.However, my max budget might go up if I can get more for my headphones and amp.
- Wondering about stereo receiver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 43 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › First time buyer of "Audiophile" grade headphones. What next? 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears' New Way Of Making Custom In-Ear Monitors - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Free D-25 manual 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 4 minutes ago
- › I need help!!! 6 minutes ago
- › What smartphone screen size do you prefer? 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 6 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)