When I auditioned the Meridian Direct at the dealer, I brought my Sony Vaio laptop (3-years-old, USB2 ports) and had zero problems. Bringing the DAC home, I am having issues with my HTPC and its Intel Z87 USB3 ports. And now looking at the Meridian website, this appears to be a known issue that I seemed to have overlooked. So while I am using the DAC via its optical input, I am hoping Meridian releases a new driver soon to support USB3 under Windows.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 10/14/14 at 1:54am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 5/29/14 at 6:38am in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DRAGONFLY vs EXPLORER Last post on 3/6/14 at 9:40am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Today
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one? - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I couldn't take it anymore. I had to finally stop listening to the HERUS after 3 hours tonight. It was seriously edgy to me. Almost as edgy as Dragonfly.
Took it out and feel so relieved.
I seriously miss my Meridian Director. I guess I didn't realize a good thing when I had it. :(
*** EDIT ****
Just listened to DSD album. I'm now in the "DSD sounds great" camp. Non edgy, lots of texture, sounds like what I imagine really good analogue would sound like.
Too bad that I mostly listen to streaming and non-DSD files :(
Edited by LAmitchell - 4/24/14 at 9:13pm
Why are you downgrading? Did you get rid of the Meridian? It sounds like you can't get it back???
Try out the $750 TEAC US-501 if you want to play with DSD.
If you are playing with side-grade products, also try the Arcam irDAC and Schiit Gungnir USB2.
Yeah, I got to thinking that it would be nice to be able to have both a DAC and a HEADAMP... I love listening to my system, but I also love to watch movies using my headphones lately.
... just a heads up for the thread visitors from the UK. Meridian Director DAC is currently on sale @ Sevenoaks Sound & Vision. It's nicely down to 300£ (that's £150 saving). Well, basically it's just £50 more then Meridian Explorer atm. Interesting ....
Here is the direct link:
I've ordered one just to see (hear) what's that all fuss about the Meridian house sound Will see how it goes ...
Edited by Incognito73 - 5/3/14 at 1:40pm
I got mine at a steep discount as well. I have to wonder whether Meridian is trying to get rid of them due to faulty hardware. My Direct DAC only works in Windows7 when the Advanced settings are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100 Hz. Anything higher causes the USB lights on the DAC to switch to 2x or 3x but then no sound comes from the DAC. No word on any solution from Meridian. I have been in contact with them. I am also using the latest 1.67 driver.
Do you use USB3 by any chance? I *really* don't want to believe that I will end up with the same problems as iDSD (at the moment unusable on my MacBook Air (Late 2013) and dekstop PC with Intel xHCI USB3 platform). Although your manifestation is a bit different as I can't stream with iDSD at all (it starts and then just everything is stuck after less then a minute). Anyhow, hardly doubt that they are clearing the stock as Sevenoaks was the only e-tailer with heavy discount. I do believe that Meridian is a bit overpriced and £299 was the price I was prepared to pay for the Director DAC. In any case, Sevenoaks offer 30 day hassle-free returns so purchase is more or less safe.
Direct DAC is just the naming game as in the US, because of some reason, Meridian can't use the "Meridian Director" branding. Essentially, it's the same machine with different name.
Cool, even one of the Woo Audio guys likes it. What are your thoughts on it so far?
My box says Director.
After some trial and error, my Director works fine via USB only when the advanced settings in Windows are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100Hz only. Any other setting and I get errors. Meridian is aware of the problem.
- Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 18 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › In need of desktop amp to power Klipsch - WB14 & subwoofer 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)