When I auditioned the Meridian Direct at the dealer, I brought my Sony Vaio laptop (3-years-old, USB2 ports) and had zero problems. Bringing the DAC home, I am having issues with my HTPC and its Intel Z87 USB3 ports. And now looking at the Meridian website, this appears to be a known issue that I seemed to have overlooked. So while I am using the DAC via its optical input, I am hoping Meridian releases a new driver soon to support USB3 under Windows.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 7/28/14 at 2:05pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 5/29/14 at 6:38am in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DRAGONFLY vs EXPLORER Last post on 3/6/14 at 9:40am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one? - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I couldn't take it anymore. I had to finally stop listening to the HERUS after 3 hours tonight. It was seriously edgy to me. Almost as edgy as Dragonfly.
Took it out and feel so relieved.
I seriously miss my Meridian Director. I guess I didn't realize a good thing when I had it. :(
*** EDIT ****
Just listened to DSD album. I'm now in the "DSD sounds great" camp. Non edgy, lots of texture, sounds like what I imagine really good analogue would sound like.
Too bad that I mostly listen to streaming and non-DSD files :(
Edited by LAmitchell - 4/24/14 at 9:13pm
Why are you downgrading? Did you get rid of the Meridian? It sounds like you can't get it back???
Try out the $750 TEAC US-501 if you want to play with DSD.
If you are playing with side-grade products, also try the Arcam irDAC and Schiit Gungnir USB2.
Yeah, I got to thinking that it would be nice to be able to have both a DAC and a HEADAMP... I love listening to my system, but I also love to watch movies using my headphones lately.
... just a heads up for the thread visitors from the UK. Meridian Director DAC is currently on sale @ Sevenoaks Sound & Vision. It's nicely down to 300£ (that's £150 saving). Well, basically it's just £50 more then Meridian Explorer atm. Interesting ....
Here is the direct link:
I've ordered one just to see (hear) what's that all fuss about the Meridian house sound Will see how it goes ...
Edited by Incognito73 - 5/3/14 at 1:40pm
I got mine at a steep discount as well. I have to wonder whether Meridian is trying to get rid of them due to faulty hardware. My Direct DAC only works in Windows7 when the Advanced settings are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100 Hz. Anything higher causes the USB lights on the DAC to switch to 2x or 3x but then no sound comes from the DAC. No word on any solution from Meridian. I have been in contact with them. I am also using the latest 1.67 driver.
Do you use USB3 by any chance? I *really* don't want to believe that I will end up with the same problems as iDSD (at the moment unusable on my MacBook Air (Late 2013) and dekstop PC with Intel xHCI USB3 platform). Although your manifestation is a bit different as I can't stream with iDSD at all (it starts and then just everything is stuck after less then a minute). Anyhow, hardly doubt that they are clearing the stock as Sevenoaks was the only e-tailer with heavy discount. I do believe that Meridian is a bit overpriced and £299 was the price I was prepared to pay for the Director DAC. In any case, Sevenoaks offer 30 day hassle-free returns so purchase is more or less safe.
Direct DAC is just the naming game as in the US, because of some reason, Meridian can't use the "Meridian Director" branding. Essentially, it's the same machine with different name.
Cool, even one of the Woo Audio guys likes it. What are your thoughts on it so far?
My box says Director.
After some trial and error, my Director works fine via USB only when the advanced settings in Windows are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100Hz only. Any other setting and I get errors. Meridian is aware of the problem.
- Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Owners Unite 19 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-560 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 58 seconds ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › HD800s with portable AMP/DAC for iMac 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › Nooby here needing help. ATH M50's, DAC and Mixer questions.. 9 minutes ago
- › How do I hook up two active monitors to subwoofer without sound card? 9 minutes ago
- › Simple, low cost, HiFi network music streaming device 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)