When I auditioned the Meridian Direct at the dealer, I brought my Sony Vaio laptop (3-years-old, USB2 ports) and had zero problems. Bringing the DAC home, I am having issues with my HTPC and its Intel Z87 USB3 ports. And now looking at the Meridian website, this appears to be a known issue that I seemed to have overlooked. So while I am using the DAC via its optical input, I am hoping Meridian releases a new driver soon to support USB3 under Windows.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 12/18/14 at 3:05am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 5/29/14 at 6:38am in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DRAGONFLY vs EXPLORER Last post on 3/6/14 at 9:40am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
The Brainwavz M1 has been widely toted as a popular option at under $50 for the last few years. Why is that the case? Well, because at the time of their debut, they were one the few balanced...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one? - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I couldn't take it anymore. I had to finally stop listening to the HERUS after 3 hours tonight. It was seriously edgy to me. Almost as edgy as Dragonfly.
Took it out and feel so relieved.
I seriously miss my Meridian Director. I guess I didn't realize a good thing when I had it. :(
*** EDIT ****
Just listened to DSD album. I'm now in the "DSD sounds great" camp. Non edgy, lots of texture, sounds like what I imagine really good analogue would sound like.
Too bad that I mostly listen to streaming and non-DSD files :(
Edited by LAmitchell - 4/24/14 at 9:13pm
Why are you downgrading? Did you get rid of the Meridian? It sounds like you can't get it back???
Try out the $750 TEAC US-501 if you want to play with DSD.
If you are playing with side-grade products, also try the Arcam irDAC and Schiit Gungnir USB2.
Yeah, I got to thinking that it would be nice to be able to have both a DAC and a HEADAMP... I love listening to my system, but I also love to watch movies using my headphones lately.
... just a heads up for the thread visitors from the UK. Meridian Director DAC is currently on sale @ Sevenoaks Sound & Vision. It's nicely down to 300£ (that's £150 saving). Well, basically it's just £50 more then Meridian Explorer atm. Interesting ....
Here is the direct link:
I've ordered one just to see (hear) what's that all fuss about the Meridian house sound Will see how it goes ...
Edited by Incognito73 - 5/3/14 at 1:40pm
I got mine at a steep discount as well. I have to wonder whether Meridian is trying to get rid of them due to faulty hardware. My Direct DAC only works in Windows7 when the Advanced settings are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100 Hz. Anything higher causes the USB lights on the DAC to switch to 2x or 3x but then no sound comes from the DAC. No word on any solution from Meridian. I have been in contact with them. I am also using the latest 1.67 driver.
Do you use USB3 by any chance? I *really* don't want to believe that I will end up with the same problems as iDSD (at the moment unusable on my MacBook Air (Late 2013) and dekstop PC with Intel xHCI USB3 platform). Although your manifestation is a bit different as I can't stream with iDSD at all (it starts and then just everything is stuck after less then a minute). Anyhow, hardly doubt that they are clearing the stock as Sevenoaks was the only e-tailer with heavy discount. I do believe that Meridian is a bit overpriced and £299 was the price I was prepared to pay for the Director DAC. In any case, Sevenoaks offer 30 day hassle-free returns so purchase is more or less safe.
Direct DAC is just the naming game as in the US, because of some reason, Meridian can't use the "Meridian Director" branding. Essentially, it's the same machine with different name.
Cool, even one of the Woo Audio guys likes it. What are your thoughts on it so far?
My box says Director.
After some trial and error, my Director works fine via USB only when the advanced settings in Windows are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100Hz only. Any other setting and I get errors. Meridian is aware of the problem.
- Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 50 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-XC Bubinga in mint condition 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 3 minutes ago
- › Budget Headphone Amps? 3 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 6 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 6 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by Tom22
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)