When I auditioned the Meridian Direct at the dealer, I brought my Sony Vaio laptop (3-years-old, USB2 ports) and had zero problems. Bringing the DAC home, I am having issues with my HTPC and its Intel Z87 USB3 ports. And now looking at the Meridian website, this appears to be a known issue that I seemed to have overlooked. So while I am using the DAC via its optical input, I am hoping Meridian releases a new driver soon to support USB3 under Windows.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 6/13/16 at 2:18am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
So like many I'm not exactly into a super flat sound signature. I like some bass at times, actually pretty much all the time. I own flat headphones and I've heard many of the best flat headphones...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one? - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I couldn't take it anymore. I had to finally stop listening to the HERUS after 3 hours tonight. It was seriously edgy to me. Almost as edgy as Dragonfly.
Took it out and feel so relieved.
I seriously miss my Meridian Director. I guess I didn't realize a good thing when I had it. :(
*** EDIT ****
Just listened to DSD album. I'm now in the "DSD sounds great" camp. Non edgy, lots of texture, sounds like what I imagine really good analogue would sound like.
Too bad that I mostly listen to streaming and non-DSD files :(
Edited by LAmitchell - 4/24/14 at 9:13pm
Why are you downgrading? Did you get rid of the Meridian? It sounds like you can't get it back???
Try out the $750 TEAC US-501 if you want to play with DSD.
If you are playing with side-grade products, also try the Arcam irDAC and Schiit Gungnir USB2.
Yeah, I got to thinking that it would be nice to be able to have both a DAC and a HEADAMP... I love listening to my system, but I also love to watch movies using my headphones lately.
... just a heads up for the thread visitors from the UK. Meridian Director DAC is currently on sale @ Sevenoaks Sound & Vision. It's nicely down to 300£ (that's £150 saving). Well, basically it's just £50 more then Meridian Explorer atm. Interesting ....
Here is the direct link:
I've ordered one just to see (hear) what's that all fuss about the Meridian house sound Will see how it goes ...
Edited by Incognito73 - 5/3/14 at 1:40pm
I got mine at a steep discount as well. I have to wonder whether Meridian is trying to get rid of them due to faulty hardware. My Direct DAC only works in Windows7 when the Advanced settings are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100 Hz. Anything higher causes the USB lights on the DAC to switch to 2x or 3x but then no sound comes from the DAC. No word on any solution from Meridian. I have been in contact with them. I am also using the latest 1.67 driver.
Do you use USB3 by any chance? I *really* don't want to believe that I will end up with the same problems as iDSD (at the moment unusable on my MacBook Air (Late 2013) and dekstop PC with Intel xHCI USB3 platform). Although your manifestation is a bit different as I can't stream with iDSD at all (it starts and then just everything is stuck after less then a minute). Anyhow, hardly doubt that they are clearing the stock as Sevenoaks was the only e-tailer with heavy discount. I do believe that Meridian is a bit overpriced and £299 was the price I was prepared to pay for the Director DAC. In any case, Sevenoaks offer 30 day hassle-free returns so purchase is more or less safe.
Direct DAC is just the naming game as in the US, because of some reason, Meridian can't use the "Meridian Director" branding. Essentially, it's the same machine with different name.
Cool, even one of the Woo Audio guys likes it. What are your thoughts on it so far?
My box says Director.
After some trial and error, my Director works fine via USB only when the advanced settings in Windows are set to 16- or 24-bit at 44100Hz only. Any other setting and I get errors. Meridian is aware of the problem.
- Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 12 seconds ago
- › Looking for some decent IEMs around 100$ 1 minute ago
- › Connecting headphone amp to Yamaha receiver via the Yamaha's... 1 minute ago
- › EarSonics Velvet Crystal 1 minute ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rose Mojito Earbuds 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 2 5 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...