From lurking on forums, I have always seen soundstage as a feature in recommendations. I believe it is very unfair, A recent comment that stood out was "The k701 soundstage is huge" I own the K702 and many other headphones and the sense of soundstage is maybe 2-3cm more than say my mrspeakers mad dogs. I really don't get where the "Huge" comes from. I find any sense of stage comes from the recording, Binural recordings I rarely find a difference in distance size between headphones they all sound 3d. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Related Forum Threads
- Best Behind the Head Headphones? Last post on 4/18/13 at 6:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH-940 question Last post on 10/9/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphones that sound closest to K 702s? Last post on 12/14/12 at 11:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones/headset - $300-400 price range! Last post on 10/21/13 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
The concept of soundstage is so overblown it starts to get a bit inaccurate when people recommend based on soundstage size.post #1 of 59/30/13 at 3:45pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/30/13 at 6:33pmpost #3 of 59/30/13 at 7:10pm
Yeah I agree soundstage is pretty overhyped. To me there's one major difference in headphones' sound spaciousness: open and closed. One sounds congested usually and the other sounds free usually. I don't like getting into the soundstage largeness and accuracy argument.post #4 of 59/30/13 at 7:23pmpost #5 of 59/30/13 at 9:05pm
I too have a tendency to agree with the fact that it is 'overhyped'. I also agree with what a previous poster said about it being related to the distance of the drivers to your ears. I know with my SE-50, which are huge, and the drivers sit pretty far away from my ears, I feel like the soundstage is wider. Very similar to my A900's with regards to the distance from my ears.
I've read in a few places that soundstage is very much, if not mostly, due to recording techniques and of course the type of music you're talking about. A pop song, for example, might not need the expansive sound that an orchestra does, and it's evident in the recordings.
However, I'm not ruling anything out. These are just my experiences up to this point.
- The concept of soundstage is so overblown it starts to get a bit inaccurate when people recommend based on soundstage size.
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Three Word Story 9 seconds ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 39 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear