or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Is there a 7.1 channel DAC ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a 7.1 channel DAC ?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I have a razer tiamat true 7.1 channel headset.

 

I am just wondering if a 7.1 channel DAC exists ?

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
 

I have a Razer Tiamat True 7.1 channel headset.

 

I am just wondering if a 7.1 channel DAC exists ?

Assuming you mean an external DAC that can output 8 separate channels of audio?

Some external sound cards might(?) offer 8-channel output.

but I think an external sound card is not the best value

 

If this is for a PC, just get a used ($60) Xonar DX or D1 sound card, CS4398 DAC chip :)

Cheaper sound card would also work.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

well, I already have the vantec external 7.1 sound card. the problem is that when i pair it with the razer tiamat there are audio problems like when i play dead space 3 for instance the gun shots sound so low. I am wondering if i should get a quality 7.1 DAC or i should mess around with the equaliser in vantec's driver to fix the problem...

post #4 of 7

     To answer your question simply, yes. However, you must realise that most of what is dealt with on Head-Fi is for stereo, because most headphones are the equivalent of a 2.0 speaker set-up in terms of speaker layout. After taking a quick look at Razer's FAQ for the Tiamat, you need the five standard 3.5mm jack outputs from your computer. Most external DACs/ sound processors won't have 3.5mm outputs, so you would need to do a messy 3.5mm to RCA converter on each one of them from their analogue surround outputs. Honestly, you're probably better off keeping what you already have OR looking at Razer's website and list of recommended sound-cards and going with one of those. I would recommend first looking to see if your operating system AND sound card is configured correctly (as per Razer's FAQ) and then consider your other options.

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
 

well, I already have the vantec external 7.1 sound card. the problem is that when i pair it with the razer tiamat there are audio problems like when i play dead space 3 for instance the gun shots sound so low. I am wondering if i should get a quality 7.1 DAC or i should mess around with the equaliser in vantec's driver to fix the problem...

Technically, your Vantec is a "7.1 channel DAC", the DAC chip in the Vantec is converting 8-channels of digital audio to 8-channels of analog audio, but I'm guessing the Vantec is not very good as is sells for $22.

I'm assuming your using a laptop?

 

Sell off the Razer and Vantec,

and buy a Xonar U3 or Creative X-fi Go, both are USB sound cards and cost around $40

also buy some quality stereo headphones ($) and any add-on mic you like.

The U3 and X-fi Go will processing 5.1 audio into headphone surround sound, for use with the stereo headphones.

We only have 2 ears (stereo input), so it only takes 2-channel (stereo) to make our ears hear surround sound.

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Technically, your Vantec is a "7.1 channel DAC", the DAC chip in the Vantec is converting 8-channels of digital audio to 8-channels of analog audio, but I'm guessing the Vantec is not very good as is sells for $22.

I'm assuming your using a laptop?

 

Sell off the Razer and Vantec,

and buy a Xonar U3 or Creative X-fi Go, both are USB sound cards and cost around $40

also buy some quality stereo headphones ($) and any add-on mic you like.

The U3 and X-fi Go will processing 5.1 audio into headphone surround sound, for use with the stereo headphones.

We only have 2 ears (stereo input), so it only takes 2-channel (stereo) to make our ears hear surround sound.

 

This is excellent advice if you're willing to start from scratch. As far as headphones are concerned, you do not need a million drivers right next to your ears to get "surround sound". Any pair of headphones with decent clarity and soundstage should be more than sufficient for your needs. Furthermore, a properly mixed stereo track should also give the correct spacing and positioning, so you might not even have to really worry about finding a multi-channel processor. No need to blow a bunch of money on new gear unless you really want to, there are many quality options for around $100 or so.

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix924S View Post

This is excellent advice if you're willing to start from scratch. As far as headphones are concerned, you do not need a million drivers right next to your ears to get "surround sound". Any pair of headphones with decent clarity and soundstage should be more than sufficient for your needs. Furthermore, a properly mixed stereo track should also give the correct spacing and positioning, so you might not even have to really worry about finding a multi-channel processor. No need to blow a bunch of money on new gear unless you really want to, there are many quality options for around $100 or so.

Great advice from Phoenix and PurpleAngel. Sometimes it's worth rethinking in your entire setup smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Is there a 7.1 channel DAC ?