Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC - Page 9

post #121 of 272

I am using a Chord Co. SilverPlus USB cable to good effect, and a Furutech F 63 (G) 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter.

 

The Furutech adapter sounds great, but is not designed to work with every 3.5mm male plug out there, which is kind of annoying, though it does work for me. Specifically, it is designed with an inset female jack, the 3.5mm male plug needs to have a very slim diameter body or it won't fit.

 

Furutech's own FT-735 (R) male 3.5mm plug fits perfectly of course, but others with a wider diameter body won't fit, even the smallest version of the ViaBlue T6s "small" is too big, as are the older versions of the Oyaide 3.5mm plugs.

 

The molded plastic body 3.5mm plug found standard on many headphones does fit in my experience, I have various folding "travel" headphones from Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyerdynamic, all of which have a stock 3.5mm plastic plug barrel that will fit the F 63 (G).

 

The Herus is a very fine sounding unit in my opinion, it will even do a more than credible job as a USB DAC in a high-end home stereo for those that have an older legacy DAC that lacks a USB input.

 

I use my Herus in the office with a Windows 7 laptop, i7 @ 2.9 GHz, 8Gb of RAM, running JRMC19. Superb sound and tiny footprint.

 

The Herus also works flawlessly with both a Mac mini home computer running Audirvana+, and the iPad2+CCK running either the stock Music app, or better yet the Onkyo HF player app for native hi-rez file support.

 

The Herus does a great job of sounding detailed and resolving, without ever getting into the analytical or etched/hyper detailed realm. It gets out of the way of the music and doesn't push the listener into dissection mode. Very dynamic, but not at the expense of portraying all leading edge and no decay.

 

I find the presentation to improve across the board when the Herus is coupled with an iFi Purifier, though that's only compatible with my computers, the iPad+CCK won't stay locked to the Herus for more than a second or two when using the Purifier.

 

The iPad+CCK+Purifier combo does not produce the iPad error message stating incompatibility due to excessive power requirements, however the Herus will not stay reliably locked to the source for more than a brief moment or two, and will reconnect/disconnect repeatedly as evidenced by it's LED switching between red and blue. This is not an issue with the W7 laptop, where all aspects of the sound are enhanced/refined when coupling the Purifier to the Herus. The Mac mini also benefits from the Purifier, though to a lesser extent than the W7 laptop.


Edited by MikeyFresh - 3/13/14 at 8:38pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 272

For what it's worth, I have the Chord Hugo sitting here next to the Herus. And they aren't that different in general character. Not saying the Herus is on the same level as Hugo - it's not. But the sound signature they both go for - resolving, clear, but not analytical - is pretty similar. Still enjoying the heck out of the Herus and will eventually have a full write up about it. 

post #123 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post

I am using a Chord Co. SilverPlus USB cable to good effect, and a Furutech F 63 (G) 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter.

The Furutech adapter sounds great, but is not designed to work with every 3.5mm male plug out there, which is kind of annoying, though it does work for me. Specifically, it is designed with an inset female jack, the 3.5mm male plug needs to have a very slim diameter body or it won't fit.

Furutech's own FT-735 (R) male 3.5mm plug fits perfectly of course, but others with a wider diameter body won't fit, even the smallest version of the ViaBlue T6s "small" is too big, as are the Oyaide 3.5mm plugs.

The molded plastic body 3.5mm plug found standard on many headphones does fit in my experience, I have various folding "travel" headphones from Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyerdynamic, all of which have a stock 3.5mm plug barrel that will fit the F 63 (G).

The Herus is a very fine sounding unit in my opinion, it will even do a more than credible job as a USB DAC in a high-end home stereo for those that have an older legacy DAC that lacks a USB input.

I use my Herus in the office with a Windows 7 laptop, i7 @ 2.9 GHz, 8Gb of RAM, running JRMC19. Superb sound and tiny footprint.

The Herus also works flawlessly with both a Mac mini home computer running Audirvana+, and the iPad2+CCK running either the stock Music app, or better yet the Onkyo HF player app for native hi-rez file support.

The Herus does a great job of sounding detailed and resolving, without ever getting into the analytical or etched/hyper detailed realm. It gets out of the way of the music and doesn't push the listener into dissection mode. Very dynamic, but not at the expense of portraying all leading edge and no decay.

I find the presentation to improve across the board when the Herus is coupled with an iFi Purifier, though that's only compatible with my computers, the iPad+CCK won't stay locked to the Herus for more than a second or two when using the Purifier.

The iPad+CCK+Purifier combo does not produce the iPad error message stating incompatibility due to excessive power requirements, however the Herus will not stay reliably locked to the source for more than a brief moment or two, and will reconnect/disconnect repeatedly as evidenced by it's LED switching between red and blue. This is not an issue with the W7 laptop, where all aspects of the sound are enhanced/refined when coupling the Purifier to the Herus. The Mac mini also benefits from the Purifier, though to a lesser extent than the W7 laptop.

Sad to hear the F63 doesn't fit all plugs out there.
I should have read this post before ordering one.
Hope it fits my oyaide plugs.
post #124 of 272

You will likely be OK if you have the Ultrasone version of the Oyaide 3.5mm plug, as it does have an extension between the plug body and the 3.5mm portion that actually seats in the jack.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Even if you don't have the Ultrasone version, it appears to me in other photos of the standard Oyaide 3.5mm plugs that they have now added a similar (though shorter) extender to the regular version:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

The above also might work, but I have an older production of these plugs, some of the very first to hit the U.S. shores a few of years back. Neither the straight nor the right angle Oyaide plugs I have will fit, they lack the extender bit between the body and actual plug piece, the two meet flush which prohibits the plug from seating deep enough in the recessed 3.5mm female opening of the Furutech F 63 (G).

 

It's a great quality adapter, I hope it works for you or I guess an alternative would be to re-terminate your cable with the new version of the plug, assuming it actually fits. I can't confirm that as I don't have the newer Oyaide plugs on hand to try.

post #125 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post

You will likely be OK if you have the Ultrasone version of the Oyaide 3.5mm plug, as it does have an extension between the plug body and the 3.5mm portion that actually seats in the jack.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Even if you don't have the Ultrasone version, it appears to me in other photos of the standard Oyaide 3.5mm plugs that they have now added a similar (though shorter) extender to the regular version:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


The above also might work, but I have an older production of these plugs, some of the very first to hit the U.S. shores a few of years back. Neither the straight nor the right angle Oyaide plugs I have will fit, they lack the extender bit between the body and actual plug piece, the two meet flush which prohibits the plug from seating deep enough in the recessed 3.5mm female opening of the Furutech F 63 (G).

It's a great quality adapter, I hope it works for you or I guess an alternative would be to re-terminate your cable with the new version of the plug, assuming it actually fits. I can't confirm that as I don't have the newer Oyaide plugs on hand to try.

The oyaide plugs i have do have the extension bits, but the recessed area on the f63 appear to be very deep.
Hope it isnt the macro pics thats playing tricks on me.
The plug has shipped so i guess i'll know soon, thanks for the advice. smily_headphones1.gif
post #126 of 272

Hopefully you have the Ultrasone version which by the looks of it will fit. I'm not sure the extender bit on the standard version is long enough though.

 

Will you please post your results? :happy_face1:

 

I am thinking about replacing the Oyaide 3.5mm plugs I have with newer versions, however I don't want to go to the trouble of ordering them if they won't fit the F 63!

 

Specifically, if you can somehow use the pictures to determine if you have the Ultrasone version or not, and whichever version you have, does it fit the F 63?

 

Please note if you are able to try the straight, or both the straight and right angled Oyaide plugs, that would be of huge help to me in deciding what to do (or skip) on my end.

 

Thank you.

post #127 of 272

Looks like a good 2.5-3.0mm deep cavity compared to the regular Oyaide plugs. *That Ultrasone version looks nice btw!*

Ok once I receive mine, I'll get some pics for ya

 

post #128 of 272
Thanks for that, it will help me determine if I have to spring for the too pricey Furutech FT-735 plugs. They are quite nice but at about $30 each, way over the top when the Oyaide plugs are about $12-18 each in the U.S. depending on the version.

The F63 seems worth the trouble though, it does sound better than a stock brass adapter with the Herus.
post #129 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post

Thanks for that, it will help me determine if I have to spring for the too pricey Furutech FT-735 plugs. They are quite nice but at about $30 each, way over the top when the Oyaide plugs are about $12-18 each in the U.S. depending on the version.

The F63 seems worth the trouble though, it does sound better than a stock brass adapter with the Herus.

 

I'm betting the Oyaide on the right MAY fit since it has an extended portion.

post #130 of 272

The "Ultrasone" version is the SRHP variant... there are two plugs, the P-3.5SR, which has the normal bump, and the P-3.5SRHP, which has the extended bump.

 

This is the SRHP:

 

 

The bump is about 4mm, and I think the normal version is half that at 2mm... just measure the F63 to see how deep it goes.

post #131 of 272
So according to a tweet from Resonessence Labs the Herus should be receiving a firmware upgrade soon. Not certain what it fixes but hopefully some sonic tweaks.
post #132 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post  So according to a tweet from Resonessence Labs the Herus should be receiving a firmware upgrade soon. Not certain what it fixes but hopefully some sonic tweaks.


Oooh... :popcorn:

 

Perhaps it'll address the hiss?

post #133 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 


Oooh... :popcorn:

 

Perhaps it'll address the hiss?


I'm not hearing any hiss, but I don't think I have the super sensitive IEMs that this could happen with.

 

My IEMs are Etymotic ER-6, which I've never loved and are now getting old. What are you using that causes the Herus to hiss?

 

Specific to the Herus, do you have any IEMs that you feel are a good match?

post #134 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post  I'm not hearing any hiss, but I don't think I have the super sensitive IEMs that this could happen with.

 

My IEMs are Etymotic ER-6, which I've never loved and are now getting old. What are you using that causes the Herus to hiss?

 

Specific to the Herus, do you have any IEMs that you feel are a good match?

 

I don't own the Herus; I only used it once, via iPad CCK, to the UERM. I picked up low levels of hiss compared to the Concero HP, which I do have. Then again, the hiss isn't too strong, merely light. It's just that the HP is dead quiet (well, almost; if you're attentive, you can hear the hiss).

 

I would expect the ER6 to pick up hiss pretty easily, but I guess not.

 

Some people have said that the Herus is a great match with the FitEar F111.

post #135 of 272
I use ER4S with Herus and I do not hear hiss. And I listen kind of quietly, not high volume. Source is iPhone 4S and MacBook.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC