The OP is clearly using a computer as their source, WASAPI in one rig and spotify in another. Telling them to revert to something else, be it tape, CD, or vinyl, does not make sense to me. I have no problem with proponents of Analog or Redbook preferring those mediums to digital but when someone is already locked in it just seems like regression.
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Survey - how much money would you pay for a headphone setup that is guaranteed to be the best out... Last post on 4/15/14 at 12:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009,boxed MINT Condition..USA Only Last post on Yesterday at 4:19 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... Last post on Yesterday at 11:24 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 4/14/14 at 7:14am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
Upgrade to SR 009? - Page 2post #16 of 239/29/13 at 8:29pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 239/29/13 at 10:41pmThread StarterI planned on upgrading the DAC as well. I just wanted to wait that one out a bit as burson is making a new dac and the schiit statement is coming. Now who knows if they will be better or worse than whats available but I kind of wanted see what they did before I decided on a dac. Everything I do is pc based and don't plan on switching any time soon. I figured if I got the 009 I could stop upgrading headphones for awhile as there is nothing better to get. That statement is a bit subjective but that's how I see it.post #18 of 239/29/13 at 11:59pm
The most important is find right headphone for you, if you will love SR-009 do not look back. And source. Of course important is everything (amp, cables..) but mainly hp and source are the most in my opinion becouse you have base stones (in speaker world it would be sure also acoustically adjusted room). And than quality source will show you what highend headphone is really capable, non tired believable sound.
I was not satisfy with HD800 in past for example but I want give them new chance on my actual rig and some nice amp when will have chance. But I feel it wont be for me.
Edited by knopi - 9/30/13 at 12:14ampost #19 of 239/30/13 at 4:48pm
I would only be doing this if you heard an 009 system and really liked it and could pretty much duplicate the chain, possible including the source.
The 009 is the opposite of a plug+play system, and it seems that currently there may not be a perfect amp for it yet. (Certainly there is no consensus around here.)
It's an enigmatic phone, and can be exasperating to get right, sometimes thrilling, sometimes fatiguing for some reason you can't put your finger on.
I would say it's a phone only for someone with lots of high end headphone experience who can deal with the effort it takes to get a high-resolution system to sound right.
If you are familiar with major names in speakers, think trying to get Wilson Audio speakers to sound right vs. Harbeths.
If I were you, I would try TH900s or maybe even an Abyss if you can afford it before jumping into the uncharted stat seas, as both of these take just a reasonable amount of care and feeding to
make you forget about equipment and just enjoy the music and be end-game worthy (at least until the next generation of phones come out).
Edited by rgs9200m - 9/30/13 at 4:50pmpost #20 of 2310/3/13 at 2:19pm
I don't know if the OP is still considering it, but I say get the SR-009 if you can.
I heard a set running off the BHSE, and it made every other can in the room seem like child's play. I don't think the HD800 belongs in the same conversation as the 009. Most cans I've heard are like windows to the music. The 009 was like opening the adjacent door and stepping into the music. It was an experience for sure.
I was so impressed that I immediately committed myself to buying one within my first year of finishing school. It was that good.post #21 of 2310/3/13 at 3:02pm
I owned that exact combo with very good associated equipment for almost a year and its not as black and white as the quick audition would lead one to believe - at least not if you put proper care into properly amping the HD800. Some of the very things that may be considered strengths could be seen by others as weaknesses. Auditions (preferably extended) are key.post #22 of 2310/3/13 at 3:14pmpost #23 of 2310/4/13 at 7:13amQuote:
In your case it wouldn't be blind. The way you did it is the preferred way, if possible.
- Upgrade to SR 009?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Comparisons: 14 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 second ago
- › Oppo shows prototype of headphone amp/DAC/pre-amp 58 seconds ago
- › ATH-M50x or Sennheiser Momentum On Ear 4 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 6 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 7 minutes ago
- › The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 8 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 9 minutes ago
- › ibasso dx50 10 minutes ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 12 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob