Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for up-to $130 (USD) headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for up-to $130 (USD) headphones

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Introduction:

Another PC gamer here :D ! Not sure if any of you Head-Fi'ers are familiar with LinusTechTips, but after watching more and more videos, I've finally come to the decision to split away from 'gaming headsets' to a more traditional pair of cans and a Zalman mic.

 

What do I plan to use them for?:

Funk, Electro, Nu-disco, Jazz/ec (No rock/anything heavy like that) and for gaming.

 

 

What am I looking for?: 

1.) Comfort (Pref. for long durations *6+ hours*)

2.) Sound quality

 

Comfort is a very big factor for me (Current pair is actually giving me sores on my ears, from having parts of my ear pressed to the drivers so forcefully.

 

============================================================================================

I've looked at a few pairs;

HD 518 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1J20V81617

JVC RX900 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826262103

AT ADH-900 http://icdn1.digitaltrends.com/image/ath_ad700-g1-800x600.jpg

============================================================================================

 

I'm looking for the best pair for my needs, up to ~$130 USD.

 

What would you recommend? Thoughts, advise?

post #2 of 12

Does your computer have an add-on sound card or are you using on-board audio?

Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Guess we can assume your into FPS gaming?

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Does your computer have an add-on sound card or are you using on-board audio?

Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Guess we can assume your into FPS gaming?

 

On-board audio currently

 

I have only experienced Closed, so I can't really say for sure. (Environment is in my own room, not a lot of background noise).

 

Gaming-wise, it's mainly SC2, League of Legends etc... Games that don't really require much 'pin-point surround precision' I suppose.

post #4 of 12

Get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (Amazon).

 

As there do not appear to be a noise problem, get open headphones.

Headphone wise, could order the Audio Technica ATH-TAD500, sells on eBay ($100), ships from Japan.

You might be able to get some used Sennheiser HD558s, with in you budget.

Samson SR-850, $50 and it's only $16 for cloth ear pads.

Takstar Hi2050 (Technica Pro HPT-990), $70

post #5 of 12
Sounds like the 558 would work. They are going for $131 on Amazon (New) or $109 Factory Refurb, I bought a Refurb set months back and they come brand spanking new, just without a box.
So you get a little savings. And you still get the Sennheiser warranty.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post

Sounds like the 558 would work. They are going for $131 on Amazon (New) or $109 Factory Refurb, I bought a Refurb set months back and they come brand spanking new, just without a box.
So you get a little savings. And you still get the Sennheiser warranty.

Who is selling the HD558 refurbs?

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Who is selling the HD558 refurbs?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

If don't have any on Amazon go directly to their site and look. Sometimes they sell out quick on Amazon and will not show up for sale.

http://www.adgtron.com/catalog/index.php

Drop them an Email or call, They also have another sister store as well that has stock.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Wow! 558's look amazing!

 

 

Question I've been meaning to ask; What would be the difference for open and closes pairs? (I assume for noise-isolation, but anything else?)

post #9 of 12

In a closed headphone, the ear-cups are usually sealed to isolate other sounds from disturbing your music hence the term 'closed', but music usually sounds boxed inside a space. e.g. ATH-M50

In an open headphone, the ear-cups are either fully or partially open to give your ears the impression of better depth or space in the music at the cost of less isolation. e.g. HD558


Edited by Spastic - 9/29/13 at 5:53pm
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone!

 

Final question;

 

I really enjoy listening to music when playing.

 

Would there be a noticeable difference between using say, a cheaper Xonar, over an on-board audio solution?

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished
If don't have any on Amazon go directly to their site and look. Sometimes they sell out quick on Amazon and will not show up for sale.
http://www.adgtron.com/catalog/index.php
Drop them an Email or call, They also have another sister store as well that has stock.

I already have the HD558s, I usually try to keep tab of the best prices, as I like to recommend the HD558s to others.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospekt View Post

I really enjoy listening to music when playing.

Would there be a noticeable difference between using say, a cheaper Xonar, over an on-board audio solution?

I like to think the Xonar DG ($27. minus $10 mail in rebate, 27-10 = $17), is a cheap way to find out if a sound card would improve audio quality, plus it's basic headphone amplifier should be better at driving headphones then mid priced (under $150) and for sure low priced motherboards (under $100).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for up-to $130 (USD) headphones