Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced - Page 2

post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman-us View Post
 

Thanks for your question. No decision has been taken for HM-802 for the U.S. market. I believe it has been announced in Asia.

 

Peter


oh thank you , may I see the announcement page of the asian one? I am currently living in an asian country (technically this is my home country)

post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


oh thank you , may I see the announcement page of the asian one? I am currently living in an asian country (technically this is my home country)

lucky u xD 

 

Oh yea what are teh specifications of the 802 vs the old 801 [which I own and adore] 

post #18 of 109

Hm 802 spec (from first post)

DAC: Dual Wolfson WM8740

Amp Section: OPA627 based

Battery: 16.8v Lithium battery pack

 

Hm801

DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM1704U-K (for Player, Coaxial and USB)

Op-Amp: OPA627

14.8 volt Lithium Polymer Battery Bay

 

 

so it have bigger battery,dual dac instead of singles but with a 801 tuning , and same kind of modular amp module as the 901

and it 600 bucks

 

looking like a winner here hifiman

post #19 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 

Hm 802 spec (from first post)

DAC: Dual Wolfson WM8740

Amp Section: OPA627 based

Battery: 16.8v Lithium battery pack

 

Hm801

DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM1704U-K (for Player, Coaxial and USB)

Op-Amp: OPA627

14.8 volt Lithium Polymer Battery Bay

 

 

so it have bigger battery,dual dac instead of singles but with a 801 tuning , and same kind of modular amp module as the 901

and it 600 bucks

 

looking like a winner here hifiman

The bigger Battery is nice, but the change from PCM to Dual Wolfsons? Not sure... I suppose it would be... well I'd have to hear it. But the price looks great :3. Any USB support 

post #20 of 109

Maybe ? just liek the 901 ? if they are running the same firmware I am on the side of them doing the same exact thing besides for the DAC sections

 

for reference on how a dual wolfson sound, the ak120 have the exact same thing , I am guessing the dac will sound similar amp notwithstanding

post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 

Maybe ? just liek the 901 ? if they are running the same firmware I am on the side of them doing the same exact thing besides for the DAC sections

 

for reference on how a dual wolfson sound, the ak120 have the exact same thing , I am guessing the dac will sound similar amp notwithstanding

Ahh so the ak120 has the same set up, I hear the 120 is a little cleaner than the 801 I have now atm, good to hear

 

anyways, does the hm802 run USB dac same as the 801 did?  

post #22 of 109
Heads up, everyone: the HM-802 is now available for order on head-direct.com.
I attach the link for the option of the normal amp card. There are options for the other amp cards too.

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=187
post #23 of 109

more choices, yay!

 

Anyone compared the 802 to the 901? $300 difference, but could be a tough choice...

post #24 of 109

Anybody know if you purchase the HM802 /w balanced card combo, do you still get the standard amp card?

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

Anybody know if you purchase the HM802 /w balanced card combo, do you still get the standard amp card?


I think you will only get balance card but not the new standard "classic" card. However, the balance/single switch on the player will allow you to use single-ended phones

post #26 of 109

Ok.  Good to know.  I like the instant balance/SE slide switch on the HM901/HM802 versus my balanced MA8 that I have to unscrew and remove the back cover and flip the switches.

post #27 of 109

Hi I wonder if you could help me as I'm a bit naive with regards to some of the terminology when I looked at the different 802 models available on the Head-Direct website. ie Balanced/minibox etc. Presumably these different models are tailored towards different individuals requirements (and budgets!). 

 

I'm looking for a new DAP to replace my old Nationite Sflo2, My requirements would be just for portable use and my current iems are JH Pro16's. SQ is key and most of my collection is FLAC. 

 

Budget wise I guess I'm looking at something mid price ie £500 (UK Sterling), hence my interest in the HM-802 series. Also tempted by the new premium Walkman.

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark.

post #28 of 109
See what the nice courier brought yesterday?
post #29 of 109
Congrats, kiats. Are those C435? Looking fwd to your impressions.
post #30 of 109

Yes, they are. Good eye! It's paired with the wonderful Tralucent silver/gold, thanks to Gavin.

 

I am still letting it burn in. But initial impressions are pretty favorable. Comparing the HM 901 vs the HM 802 is uncannily like contrasting the Fitear C435 vs MH334. While the HM 901 is balanced and astonishingly clear, the HM 802 is warmer and less transparent. What the HM 802 does have to make up for that is the lovely timbre of percussion and strings. Very organic.

 

Whilst it's still early days, I suspect what will happen is that the HM 802 will be for days when I feel like just enjoying the music and relaxing next to a warm fireplace, single malt whiskey in one hand and a good book in the other. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced