Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My first fully open headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first fully open headphones

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hey Head-Fi community I was looking to buy my first pair of fully open headphones. I would like for them to have a detachable cable and circum-oral (around ear) cups. as far as sound, I want something that is rather harsh in the mids and highs with a controlled bass (I cannot stand floppy bass). sound-stage is a must given they are open headphones. as far as price goes I was hoping they could be under $200 but if they are exceptional I guess they can be over by a bit, it would also be nice if they are portable but is not a must. oh, and one more ting I have rather odd, large ears so if the cups where a little bigger that would be nice.

 

Thanks for reading

post #2 of 8

HD 598/600/650

post #3 of 8

I wouldn't call the  mids or trebles harsh (nor am I sure why one would actually want harsh mids) but the AKG Q701 can be had for $230 at Amazon and is very hard to beat at that price IMO.   Some will claim the bass is too soft but I find them quite enjoyable to listen to.  Especially when paired up with my inexpensive Project Sunrise tube amp. You're ears would have to be pretty monstrous to not easily fit within the cups.

post #4 of 8

The Ultrasone HFI-2400 is quite good I think for what you're talking about (and waddaya know, I'm selling mine! http://www.head-fi.org/t/683202/ultrasone-hfi-2400-with-coiled-neutrik-cable-and-v-moda-cable :D)

 

Open headphone with detachable cable and a fairly low profile (doesn't stick out too much). If you're after soundstage they won't disappoint, I think that's what they do best. Very good imaging. And they're efficient enough that you can get away with using them portably (and I'm including good portable use cables with mine). Good mids and treble with a strong (but not overly emphasized) bass response that is well controlled. The earpads are spacious, shouldn't have a problem with fit. They go for $300 normally when new , but selling mine for under $200 if you're interested. Honestly, for under $200 it would be difficult to do better.


Edited by HeretixAevum - 9/27/13 at 5:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedChicken View Post
 

I wouldn't call the  mids or trebles harsh (nor am I sure why one would actually want harsh mids) but the AKG Q701 can be had for $230 at Amazon and is very hard to beat at that price IMO.   Some will claim the bass is too soft but I find them quite enjoyable to listen to.  Especially when paired up with my inexpensive Project Sunrise tube amp. You're ears would have to be pretty monstrous to not easily fit within the cups.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post
 

HD 598/600/650

this, used the senn hd600 can be found between 200-300... the AKG's are nice also...

 

BUT

 

what kinda music are you into?

post #6 of 8
Quote:
 I want something that is rather harsh in the mids and highs

 

Then DON'T get the HD 598/600/650.  Nothing harsh about those.  (But that should be a good thing, no?)

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious Lab View Post
 

 

Then DON'T get the HD 598/600/650.  Nothing harsh about those.  (But that should be a good thing, no?)

 

whoa, totally misread that! I hope its a typo?

post #8 of 8

based on the fact that you have large ears- i wouldnt reccomend a Q701/k701/k702. I have large ears, and with large ears comes a large head. I have a large head, and when i put the Q701 on, the headband stretches up so much that the earcups don't sit flush on my face and they are extremely uncomfortable, and the earpads are hard.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My first fully open headphones