or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression - Page 32

post #466 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
 

I got the iDSD nano two days ago and it does not work on the USB 3.0 ports of my Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop!

Fortunatelly the coputer has USB 2.0 ports also, so I can use the DAC.. Do I need to update the firmaware to the beta or I can wait untill it is released? 

Does it give better sound???

 

Thnx in advance!!!

 

I guess that the firmware won't affect the synergy with Mac's.? I have a late 2009 mac mini (USB 2.0 only)... May be silly question but... : ) :)

i don't think usb 3.0 will give you better sound than usb 2.0. those who are using the beta firmware update probably only have usb 3.0 and their units don't work at all. if you don't have to update the firmware, i wouldn't. 

post #467 of 1720

Question:

Can the iDSD Nano play true (non DoP) DSD using the foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd-0.7.1 component????

If yes is there a link with the proper settings?

 

If no why ifi claims NATIVE DSD??

post #468 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post

Question:
Can the iDSD Nano play true (non DoP) DSD using the foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd-0.7.1 component????
If yes is there a link with the proper settings?

If no why ifi claims NATIVE DSD??
Why would DoP not be considered native? There is NO conversion to PCM.
post #469 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
 

Question:

Can the iDSD Nano play true (non DoP) DSD using the foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd-0.7.1 component????

If yes is there a link with the proper settings?

 

If no why ifi claims NATIVE DSD??

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


Why would DoP not be considered native? There is NO conversion to PCM.

 

+1 There is no PCM conversion. DoP is just a scheme for getting DSD format data through the USB Audio 2.0 protocol. 

post #470 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
 

Question:

Can the iDSD Nano play true (non DoP) DSD using the foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd-0.7.1 component????

If yes is there a link with the proper settings?

 

If no why ifi claims NATIVE DSD??

Hi,

 

Just to clarify, 

 

First, "native DSD" refers to leaving the DSD datastream original (native) without applying digital processing inside the DAC Chip, not with regards to support for ASIO 2.2.

 

Second, the upcoming firmware update will add ASIO 2.2 support.

 

If you wish to read about what we think of PCM and DSD chipsets, then read the AudioStream interview and Appendix. It goes into quite some detail. This is why we say "True Native."

 

thanks

post #471 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

Hi,

 

Just to clarify, 

 

First, "native DSD" refers to leaving the DSD datastream original (native) without applying digital processing inside the DAC Chip, not with regards to support for ASIO 2.2.

 

Second, the upcoming firmware update will add ASIO 2.2 support.

 

If you wish to read about what we think of PCM and DSD chipsets, then read the AudioStream interview and Appendix. It goes into quite some detail. This is why we say "True Native."

 

thanks

Thank you very much for your answer!!!!!!!!!
I admit I didn't read the interview yet!

post #472 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


Why would DoP not be considered native? There is NO conversion to PCM.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanChu View Post
 

 

 

+1 There is no PCM conversion. DoP is just a scheme for getting DSD format data through the USB Audio 2.0 protocol. 

Thnx guys!!!!!

post #473 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwaxxer View Post
 

You should have got a little 'card' in the box. It folds out and has all the colors and what they mean.

 

One other thing I found out - the internal battery needs some good amps to charge fully and in a reasonable length of time. I use my Sony 10AH CycleEnergy battery to charge it. I outputs up to 3.6 amps at 5V.

 

Thanks a lot!  I hadn't noticed that on the card before.

 

Thanks again

post #474 of 1720

For all nano iDSD owners:

Quad-Speed DSD256 for iDSD

 

 

Quantum leap to Quad-Speed DSD 256 on nano iDSD

Not to rest on our laurels, iFi is absolutely over the moon to announce that with the latest firmware update, the nano iDSD is now capable of True Native Quad-Speed DSD256 playback at 11.2MHz/12.4MHz.  The nano iDSD is already the #1 seller in Japan and with the free Quad-Speed DSD256 upgrade, there is nothing to touch it.

 

ASIO 2.2 native DSD transfer  

Previously, the only native DSD transmission protocol was DSD over PCM (DoP). With the latest iFi driver, one can choose between ASIO 2.2 or DoP for native DSD playback.

 

[1] Firmware 4.0 must be used in conjunction with the latest iFi driver v2.20

[2] Quad-Speed is four times the SACD sample rate.

[3] It is also referred to as DSD256 because the sample rate is 256x that of CD.

post #475 of 1720

OK, I updated my iDSD Nano FW to v4.0 today. I have a Macbook Pro (OSX Mavericks) and a Mac mini (Mavericks and Win7 under Bootcamp). For some reason update did not work under Bootcamp Win7-64bit. I had to do it using Parallels on Macbook Pro. 

 

When I run Audirvana+ it still reports DSD64 & 128. No DSD256 is recognised. Likewise JRiver for Mac reports only x2 DSD. Am I missing something here? Can anyone confirm what's expected after the update?

 

Sorry in advance if I missed something obvious and thanks

post #476 of 1720

My J.River 19 for windows is limited to 2xDSD for upsampling. You are not going to see a DSD256 option. If you have a DSD256 file it may play back it back at DSD256 using bit streaming. HQplayer for windows is the only player I know that can upsample to DSD256. I have heard that it works with the Nano. I have not tried it yet.

post #477 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradoSound View Post

OK, I updated my iDSD Nano FW to v4.0 today. I have a Macbook Pro (OSX Mavericks) and a Mac mini (Mavericks and Win7 under Bootcamp). For some reason update did not work under Bootcamp Win7-64bit. I had to do it using Parallels on Macbook Pro. 

When I run Audirvana+ it still reports DSD64 & 128. No DSD256 is recognised. Likewise JRiver for Mac reports only x2 DSD. Am I missing something here? Can anyone confirm what's expected after the update?

Sorry in advance if I missed something obvious and thanks
I wonder if audirvana is limited to 128 for now...maybe a software update is needed?
post #478 of 1720

I noticed that after upgrading to firmware 4.0 my Mac (A+, and Midi) "sees" the idsd like 24 bit DAC while before it showed like 32 bit.
Is this the case, or I don't remember correctly?
Also on PC the JRMC needs 24 bit integer setting on KS mode in order to play while before it played in 32 integer...

Something went wrong in my instalation or that's the way it is??

post #479 of 1720

What about batery?
Do you prefer it on batery or powered by USB?

 

 

And how should it be used in order to maintain batery life? 

Should it be permanently pluged or like any other device should it make charging cycles??

post #480 of 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
 

I noticed that after upgrading to firmware 4.0 my Mac (A+, and Midi) "sees" the idsd like 24 bit DAC while before it showed like 32 bit.
Is this the case, or I don't remember correctly?
 

 

using Audio Midi Setup to select the iDSD nano on macbook pro:

with the beta firmware showed as 24 bit, with pulldown selection up to 384.

 

 

just did my update to 4.0.

Audio Midi shows same.

 

using Audirvana+, it recognizes DAC as 24/384.

but Auto Detection does not recognize "light up" DSD64 or DSD128.

still must select

 DSD Over PCM

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression