Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression - Page 30

post #436 of 932

Any update about new firmware and USB3 compatibility issues? Well, it's almost 4 weeks now ... and no word from iFi.

post #437 of 932

The last have heard from a developer on the Computer Audiophile forums has stated AMR has provided him with a possible fix and it is working for him, He also stated that there were other DAC's he tried from differnt makes that did not work for him. I do not know when the firmware driver is ready for general release and I did not want to jump the gun on our offical good  iFI support person here.

post #438 of 932

Would be interesting to know a bit more about that fix! Yes, it seems that latest motherboards revisions and laptops with Intel xHCI platform  are causing "DACs havoc" ... BUT I'm still baffled how come that more in-lab testing was not done as that USB3 platform was around for a year or so.

post #439 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post

 

Would be interesting to know a bit more about that fix! Yes, it seems that latest motherboards revisions and laptops with Intel xHCI platform  are causing "DACs havoc" ... BUT I'm still baffled how come that more in-lab testing was not done as that USB3 platform was around for a year or so.


Hi,

 

USB 3.0 has been out for sometime - correct.

 

But, this particular generation of USB 3.0 chipset came out <2 months before the iDSD was launched.

 

We tested the iDSD with the previous generation and other makes of USB chipsets but due to the dynamic nature of computers, there is no way to test with everything that is out and those that are coming in the piepline. This is why it has wreaked havoc with so many DACs out there.

 

We hope this clarifies.

post #440 of 932
I can understand that issue could happen on PCs, where every single one is somehow different, but MACs apretty standard. Why don't you ensure that your product works correctly with all known versions of MACs?
post #441 of 932

Is it possible that iFi post the information about the beta firmware (or beta fix)? ... as I would really like to test the device. It's boxed for a month or so and luckily enough I have extended trial out authorised by the distributor. If HQPlayer developer got the code, I don't see a reason why loyal customer base is excluded from the process.

post #442 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

I can understand that issue could happen on PCs, where every single one is somehow different, but MACs apretty standard. Why don't you ensure that your product works correctly with all known versions of MACs?

While Apple has fewer hardware versions they are far from being free with problems with audio on USB3 and even USB2 in some cases and sometimes a new OS update will break the functionality of a audio USB unit. 

 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24003292#24003292

 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25018420#25018420


Edited by john57 - 5/4/14 at 6:39pm
post #443 of 932

For those of us who have been in this 'computer audio' thing for some years, we realize that there are some issues that are still being resolved with each change in technology. It wasnt long ago when all USB protocols were USB 1.0 only. Very limited in bandwidth.

 

To now get DSD over USB is pretty amazing really. Before I was 'converted' to USB audio I was a Ethernet enthusiast. Now, USB is CLEARLY better in sound quality. Its all good. keep the faith....

post #444 of 932

Yes is surprising how well USB is working these days in sprite of issues  I no longer see any advantage in using S/PDIF over USB any more that I have been using for many years. I recently got a network audio player that uses Ethernet and it has its own set of issues for me to deal with and solve. I have deal with Ethernet issues all the time in my last job.  Any changes in USB hardware is supposedly backward compatible but we all well know does not always work smoothly. Getting DSD to work within the USB specifications was quite a feat. I enjoy playing with my iDSD and looking forward with the micro.

post #445 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post


 

Is it possible that iFi post the information about the beta firmware (or beta fix)? ... as I would really like to test the device. It's boxed for a month or so and luckily enough I have extended trial out authorised by the distributor. If HQPlayer developer got the code, I don't see a reason why loyal customer base is excluded from the process.


Hi


 

The majority of iDSD customers have USB 2.0 ports and/or have another version of USB 3.0 of course have not enquired about this update.


 

Of course you may. You only have to ask to test the beta and we shall email it to you. We have to track and do this on a case-by-case basis.


 

So if you email tech@ifi-audio.com one of our guys would be more than glad to send you the beta.


 

At the moment, it is passing all the tests with PCs and Macs out there with this particular port.


 

It does require Win PC and USB 2.0 port (of course). So Mac users do need access to a Win PC for this firmware update. Or BootCamp or Parallel.

 

Also, dont worry about being past the 30-day period. All iFi retailers have and will support 100% their customers on this.


Edited by iFi audio - 5/5/14 at 4:48am
post #446 of 932

This table highlights the MACs that work and the MACs that dont work. Please appreciate this is a summary.

 

MacBook Pro w/ Retina Mavericks 10.9.2 USB3.0 port issue
   
 
iMac Mavericks 10.9.2 USB3.0 port issue
   
 
MacBook Air Mavericks 10.9.2 USB3.0 port issue
   
 
MacBook Pro w/o Retina Mavericks 10.9.2 Works
   
 
Mac Mini Mavericks 10.9.2 Works
   
 
Mac Pro Mavericks 10.9.2 Works

 

As you can see, they dont all use the same USB3.0 port chipset.

post #447 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

 

While Apple has fewer hardware versions they are far from being free with problems with audio on USB3 and even USB2 in some cases and sometimes a new OS update will break the functionality of a audio USB unit.


 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24003292#24003292


 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25018420#25018420


Correct.

 

We all live for Windows and OS X updates among other things, App updates et al. :popcorn:

 

This is the dynamic nature of Computers (and Computer Audio).

post #448 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 


Hi


 

The majority of iDSD customers have USB 2.0 ports and/or have another version of USB 3.0 of course have not enquired about this update.


 

Of course you may. You only have to ask to test the beta and we shall email it to you. We have to track and do this on a case-by-case basis.


 

So if you email tech@ifi-audio.com one of our guys would be more than glad to send you the beta.


 

At the moment, it is passing all the tests with PCs and Macs out there with this particular port.


 

It does require Win PC and USB 2.0 port (of course). So Mac users do need access to a Win PC for this firmware update. Or BootCamp or Parallel.

 

Also, dont worry about being past the 30-day period. All iFi retailers have and will support 100% their customers on this.

 

Thank you for this. Much appreciated!

 

Yes, I have latest Z87 chipset/motherboard with Intel xHCI USB3 only ports (USB2 ports are emulated and non-native). I can only use iDSD if I completely disable the USB3 support in Bios ... but then all ports are USB2 emulated and I can't use my USB3 native external hard/flash drives. With the MacBook Air (late 2013) where I was planned to use iDSD new firmware is only option as I can't fiddle with USB3 settings. Anyhow, will contact you shortly via e-mail. For sure, will let you know how it goes!

post #449 of 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

...

It does require Win PC and USB 2.0 port (of course). So Mac users do need access to a Win PC for this firmware update. Or BootCamp or Parallel.

 

Also, dont worry about being past the 30-day period. All iFi retailers have and will support 100% their customers on this.

 

This is great news!  If you don't mind sharing, is the Win PC and USB 2.0 port used to flash the the firmware in the iDSD Nano?

 

If anyone gets this working on a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, please share how this is working for you.

post #450 of 932

I can verify that the firmware update worked on my MacBook Pro 2013.  I updated using Parallels and I'm good to go!

 

PB

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
 

 

This is great news!  If you don't mind sharing, is the Win PC and USB 2.0 port used to flash the the firmware in the iDSD Nano?

 

If anyone gets this working on a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, please share how this is working for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression