or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression - Page 26

post #376 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

 

Hi,

 

You are correct. the Intel xHCI does not work with USB AC 2.0.  This is the root cause and has affected those new products with this USB 3.0 chipset. We are working on the code and have been doing this round the clock. If you PM us with the retailer details we are more than happy for them to extend the period.

 

We will have the solution but this has not only effected DACs out there but also peripherals such as HDDs and thumb drives.

 

iFi is in the same boat as the others.

 

As an interim work around, you can go into the BIOS and reset the port back to USB2.0.

 

thanks

 

Thanks for the swift post. Much appreciated!

 

Yes, that's how I'm testing the iDSD atm ... by disabling USB3 support in BIOS. However, MacBook Air (late 2013 Hanswell release) was intended to be primary platform for iDSD, so I believe that there is no workaround at this stage. By the way, is this related to XMOS specifically or just your implementation?  (as other DACs tested, namely Audioengine D3 and HRT Microstreamer were perfectly stable).

post #377 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post
 

Quote:

 

Hey, thanks for this! Much appreciated.

 

Yes, I did try iDSD in two (only avaliable)  USB 2.0 ports and no dice again (exactly the same problem)  and that was the moment when it did cross my mind that I got the lemon  ... unitl I tried to disable USB3 support in Z87 Extreme bios. I vaguely remember that motherboard did have some sticker "new revision" or something, have to check when I get back home. Anyhow, that bug was related to the way how devices are initialised when resumed back from suspended state and iDSD manifestation is completely different.

 

Ipad2 (iOS) and HTC One (Android KitKat) were fine ... although couldn't use iDSD outside of the USB Audio Player realm. I would really appreciate any input if it's possible to use iDSD natively on Android platform (so that I can use different players, streaming, online music etc).

 

MacBook Air is not compatible, as it seems.

I am just showing that Intel is still frigging and coming out with newer revisions of the chipset used on USB3.   I was surprised that even your USB2 has the problem with the chipset driving that port.

 

I am impressed by IFI support here showing that they are aware of kinks in USB3 implementations on various hardware devices. What was surprising was that even Apple does not have the same constancy in USB behavior in various and similar models.

post #378 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

I am just showing that Intel is still frigging and coming out with newer revisions of the chipset used on USB3.   I was surprised that even your USB2 has the problem with the chipset driving that port. I am impressed by IFI support here showing that they are aware of kinks in USB3 implementations on various hardware devices. What was surprising was that even Apple does not have the same constancy in USB behavior in various and similar models.


Oh yes, surely, It's tiring and frustrating. That's the main reason why, not so long ago, I was toying with the idea to get my hands on separate Audiophile USB controller for my PC:

 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-tx-usbexp-audiophile-pcie-usb-audio-card-and-mbps-d2s-intelligent-battery-power-supply

 

... but changed my mind at the end, mostly because of the price and lack of feedback for such extravagant product.

 

Yes, it was surprising that USB2 was affected too, unless USB3 support is disabled in BIOS.

 

iFi forum support is very good ... although they are not particularly fast when you send them e-mail directly :D  Speaking of Apple, I have slight suspicion that Hanswell platform in particular is the culprit, but that's downside of the portables ... you simply can't just change the motherboard or use add-on card. Because iDSD is mainly designed  as portable solution (although it doesn't have to be as DAC section is very good ) ... I was expecting broader compatibility with mobile platforms, especially as in the last year or so there are many Hanswell platforms floating around and many portables with USB3 ports only.

post #379 of 1711
FWIW, these USB issues are certainly frustrating and I hope ifi figures it out...but I applaud ifi for trying to listen, offering suggestions, and working with us. Nice to see this kind of CS.
post #380 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post

Hi,
If UAPP works, you are good to go. 

UAPP works often even if the Device itself does not support USB Audio Class. So, to plug in iDSD and to get audio you need:
i. Host mode
ii. OTG adapter and
iii. USB Audio Class support.

If no USB Audio Class support or if HD needed - use UAPP.

We have a pdf Android instruction sheet which neatly summarises all this. Just email: tech@ifi-audio.com and we'll send you a copy.

On Moto G the UAPP works perfectly with Pan Am, and completely doesn't with iDSD, so above statement is not true.
post #381 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwaxxer View Post
 

Hey John - you can get the SoX plugin here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373

If you are familiar with foobar, you just drop the dll in the components folder and then select it in foobar. SoX is a good free SRC. If you want to familiarize with SRC specs etc this is a good site.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

 

I like SoX because it has very little aliasing (black background on the scope). The other alternative is to pay $1600 for Weiss Saracon.

I will check it out.

In the mean time MusicDirect received my unopened iDAC and shipped out the iDSD as per original order. No fooling around.

It is also my mother birthday today the 1st of April!

I found a setting on Jriver for jittler removal on the CD plugin that I am going to investigate.


Edited by john57 - 4/1/14 at 5:14pm
post #382 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post


On Moto G the UAPP works perfectly with Pan Am, and completely doesn't with iDSD, so above statement is not true.

 

Hi,

 

Sorry, we have tested iDSD nano with many 'droid Phones, but not his one. There are just too many models out there.

 

1.The Pan Am is USB Audio Class 1.0, The iDSD is USB Audio Class 2.0. 

 

2. Also, often App's in Android do not close. So the app (UAPP) must be force closed if it was started with the Pan Am attached, or other DAC"s will not be recognised. Other DAC's meaning "including iDSD nano". We useES Task manager to kill tasks.

 

You can try a clean boot of the Moto with the iDSD turned on, on battery and attached to the Moto X. See if UAPP wants to see it after that.

post #383 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post

Hi,

Sorry, we have tested iDSD nano with many 'droid Phones, but not his one. There are just too many models out there.

1.The Pan Am is USB Audio Class 1.0, The iDSD is USB Audio Class 2.0. 

2. Also, often App's in Android do not close. So the app (UAPP) must be force closed if it was started with the Pan Am attached, or other DAC"s will not be recognised. Other DAC's meaning "including iDSD nano". We useES Task manager to kill tasks.

You can try a clean boot of the Moto with the iDSD turned on, on battery and attached to the Moto X. See if UAPP wants to see it after that.

It doesn't, and if I turn iDSD on first, and then connect it to Moto G, the phone crashes and turns off it-self.

The device is not perfect, it has issues, but I'm not blaming you guys, since it's really high-quality product for really almost no money. As the saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Honestly, IMHO iDSD with DSD records sounds almost better than vinyl, to which I am just listening in this particular moment.
post #384 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

The device is not perfect, it has issues, but I'm not blaming you guys, since it's really high-quality product for really almost no money. As the saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Honestly, IMHO iDSD with DSD records sounds almost better than vinyl, to which I am just listening in this particular moment.

So you saying that the iDSD is the end game for vinyl? If so that is fine with me. :ksc75smile:

post #385 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post


It doesn't, and if I turn iDSD on first, and then connect it to Moto G, the phone crashes and turns off it-self.

The device is not perfect, it has issues, but I'm not blaming you guys, since it's really high-quality product for really almost no money. As the saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Honestly, IMHO iDSD with DSD records sounds almost better than vinyl, to which I am just listening in this particular moment.

Hi,

 

Thanks for letting us know about the Motto G.

 

We are sorry about this problem, but all we can do is to make sure our hardware conforms to standards (USB AC 2.0). As long as PC's/smart devices conform too it works.

 

Android is all over the map. Our best suggestion is to stick with Samsung as their models that work, work flawlessly.

post #386 of 1711

Ended up returning my iDSD to Music Direct, too much hiss even at lowest volume when still turned off on my low impedance and sensitive Shure 846 IEMs. Otherwise I was quite impressed. Just couldn't live with that hiss, which was not there on other higher impedance and less sensitive headphones like the Mad Dogs. 

 

That said, maybe someone on the fence will want to grab that iDSD from Music Direct. Nice demo unit pricing...

post #387 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post
 

Ended up returning my iDSD to Music Direct, too much hiss even at lowest volume when still turned off on my low impedance and sensitive Shure 846 IEMs. Otherwise I was quite impressed. Just couldn't live with that hiss, which was not there on other higher impedance and less sensitive headphones like the Mad Dogs. 

 

That said, maybe someone on the fence will want to grab that iDSD from Music Direct. Nice demo unit pricing...

Hi,

 

The Shures are rated at 114dB.

 

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones

Sensitivity 114 dB SPL/mW

 

This is generally more designed for iPhones and the like direct.

 

If you contacted us, we would have put you in touch with Avatar Acoustics as they have some new iFi attenuators that customers are testing out. That would have fixed the "hiss."

 

But it is good to know that the IEMs are a very popular option and we need to consider this for all our products - whilst still trying to consider headphones. It is a pretty broad base!

post #388 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

Hi,

 

The Shures are rated at 114dB.

 

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones

Sensitivity 114 dB SPL/mW

 

This is generally more designed for iPhones and the like direct.

 

If you contacted us, we would have put you in touch with Avatar Acoustics as they have some new iFi attenuators that customers are testing out. That would have fixed the "hiss."

 

But it is good to know that the IEMs are a very popular option and we need to consider this for all our products - whilst still trying to consider headphones. It is a pretty broad base!

 

Yes, I agree that headphones is a quite broad base. Thanks for the info on the attenuators. Maybe I need to try out the iDSD with my 846 and those attenuators. I had thought that the attenuators would only affect having more range on the volume control (maybe I didn't pay enough attention to your discussion of them here). 

 

And so there is no confusion: I do consider the iDSD an excellent product. Potentially a game changer in fact. But gear matching is key (see "pretty broad base" above). I will look into how well the attuators impact things down the road. Maybe if there will be an iDSD at AXPONA could there also be attenuators to try out with it? I will certainly be there with my 846s!

post #389 of 1711

my favorite aspects of the iDSD? DSD support and usb->SPDIF conversion. makes it quite a handy little bugger. i sold the last unit i had, but just bought another one since it's so useful. 

post #390 of 1711

It is a bit unusual for the smallest DSD DAC to have a  usb->SPDIF output on it. You been selling them and wanted another?

 

P.S. My Nano DSD should come in soon.


Edited by john57 - 4/3/14 at 3:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression