or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression - Page 22

post #316 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixter View Post


The amp section seems to be pretty good but it depends on what headphone you plan on driving... 

iDSD drived Momentum quite decent, but with HD570 turning volume knob beyond 3/4 doesn't change volume any more. With Alpha Dogs volume changes to the end of scale, but it absolutely doesn't compare to the power Pan Am delivers them. So my conclusions is that iDSD has decent amp, but will drive well either less power hungry headphones, or you will be listening at less than optimal volume levels. I say less than optimal, but it's my personal no-no, caused by the fact that I don't have to listen straight from iDSD, and I can always connect it to Pan Am. If you plan to use iDSD as amp, then I would say in its price level I don't really think you will be able to find better DAC/amp combo. Some say O2 is quite competitive, however I don't remember it supporting DSD or even DXD formats... And it is more expensive than iDSD, so I think iDSD is the king of the hill. I can honestly recommend it to even the most demanding users. biggrin.gif
post #317 of 1711
A question: there are these nice straps included with iDSD. I presume they are for iPhone, but it's a phone. Why would I buy a phone to serve as music transport - I have no idea... So the question is: does iDSD support iPod? or any other (trans)portable transport ?
post #318 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

A question: there are these nice straps included with iDSD. I presume they are for iPhone, but it's a phone. Why would I buy a phone to serve as music transport - I have no idea... So the question is: does iDSD support iPod? or any other (trans)portable transport ?
if your device can support USB out, then it will work with the iDSD. On the iPhone and ipad, you can use the camera connection kit (CCK) to connect to the iDSD. Using an app like onkyo hf player, you can then push DSD, flac, etc files to the iDSD. So, the iPhone can, with the right equipment and apps, be a very capable transport.

One other plus of the iDSD is that it also serves as a USB to SPDIF converter. For a portable device at its price range, it might not to everything perfectly, but it does a lot of things well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #319 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixter View Post
 

Got a question for those that are using the JRiver Media Center 19 program with the idsd

 

1) What is the best choice in the Play Options... I'm presently using  " ifi DSD (ifi(by AMR) HD+USB Audio) (WASAPI) "  is there a better choice ??

 

2) What is the best choice in the DSP Studio...  I'm presently using  " None "

 

It seems to be working fine... just wanted to make sure this is the proper way to deliver the source to the idsd and let it do the decoding...

 

3) Any other settings that I might need to have set up ???


Its funny you should ask that because I was just fixing to give some impressions about how I have been experimenting with JRiver. LOVE that program BTW, I have been listening to my 16/44.1 native through JRiver (no change selected in the DSP) for some time, letting iDSD do the oversample. At first I thought that 'no change' sounded the best.

 

Just today I let JRiver give it a crack by changing the sample rate in the DSP settings to first 24/192, then 24/384. The iDSD played both with no problem. I'm pretty sure I heard the sound 'tighten up" with the upsample done by JRiver. before it gets to the DAC. No real difference between 24/192 and 24/384. At the same time I tried selecting 2xDSD in JRiver to compare to the PCM sample rate sound. No difference noticed at the time. I figured to do this test now because I have fully acclimated to the sound of the iDSD, and could probably be in a better 'memory' space to hear a difference. WASAPI and AISO are the same in terms of sound from what I can gather. WASAPI is what I use. - cheers! -

 

- one other observation, when I listened to the 2xDSD upsample in JRiver I noticed that my speakers became more 'directional'. They are directional as is, but I had to move one an inch or so to get a good focus on the sound from the sitting position. Not sure how to interpret that, either as a negative or a positive.....


Edited by earwaxxer - 3/8/14 at 3:45pm
post #320 of 1711

Guys, when I asked about the amp, I wasn't asking how hard it could drive pointless headphones (imo).  I was asking in terms of sound quality and how it compares to some other well known amps like ones by FiiO.  For me, I'm sure it'll be able to drive any headphones I care about.

post #321 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post


iDSD drived Momentum quite decent, but with HD570 turning volume knob beyond 3/4 doesn't change volume any more. With Alpha Dogs volume changes to the end of scale, but it absolutely doesn't compare to the power Pan Am delivers them. So my conclusions is that iDSD has decent amp, but will drive well either less power hungry headphones, or you will be listening at less than optimal volume levels. I say less than optimal, but it's my personal no-no, caused by the fact that I don't have to listen straight from iDSD, and I can always connect it to Pan Am. If you plan to use iDSD as amp, then I would say in its price level I don't really think you will be able to find better DAC/amp combo. Some say O2 is quite competitive, however I don't remember it supporting DSD or even DXD formats... And it is more expensive than iDSD, so I think iDSD is the king of the hill. I can honestly recommend it to even the most demanding users. biggrin.gif


You might be confusing the ODAC with the O2...     The O2 is just an amp...  when combined with the idsd it just uppes the power of the idsd amp...   So in that reguard the O2 does support DSD/FLAC/DXD formats quite well...   

post #322 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixter View Post


You might be confusing the ODAC with the O2...     The O2 is just an amp...  when combined with the idsd it just uppes the power of the idsd amp...   So in that reguard the O2 does support DSD/FLAC/DXD formats quite well...   

That's true O2 is amp, and ODAC is DAC, but they also sell combo of these two in one box. The ODAC (according to their web page) supports only PCM and only up to 96/24. Pricewise on UK EBay the ODAC+O2 combo is priced at iDSD price. Featurewise O2 is more powerful, iDSD supports more formats. Thus I assume someone could make a comparison of these two boxes.
post #323 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

if your device can support USB out, then it will work with the iDSD. On the iPhone and ipad, you can use the camera connection kit (CCK) to connect to the iDSD. Using an app like onkyo hf player, you can then push DSD, flac, etc files to the iDSD. So, the iPhone can, with the right equipment and apps, be a very capable transport.

One other plus of the iDSD is that it also serves as a USB to SPDIF converter. For a portable device at its price range, it might not to everything perfectly, but it does a lot of things well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you understood my question. I was asking what devices that are not an iPhone and are not a phone can be used with iDSD. I was asking if any version of iPod would work. I was also asking if there are any other transport options that would work with iDSD.

Also it is not true what you say, not every device with USB will work with iDSD, for example my N900 does not, and I'm pretty sure not every Android device would, actually I think only few would.

Also tablets are not good option - how are you going to strap tablet to iDSD?

I would like to know if there is any other device besides iPhone that can be used with iDSD. Thanks!

Quite honestly I would love to see iFi releasing their own transport, and it would be super awesome if all it had vast amount of memory (>=64GB) and only one port - just USB and no analogue output.
Edited by koolas - 3/9/14 at 3:20am
post #324 of 1711
Well, it seems pretty standard to report on how well an amp does with hard-to-drive headphones and with sensitive IEMs. Helps give an idea of potential limitations, even though many great headphones call between those extremes. Not to mention that for owners of headphones on these extremes, these are quite important points.
post #325 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post

Well, it seems pretty standard to report on how well an amp does with hard-to-drive headphones and with sensitive IEMs. Helps give an idea of potential limitations, even though many great headphones call between those extremes. Not to mention that for owners of headphones on these extremes, these are quite important points.

Well of course! I wouldn't deny that. However, I do think that would be the starting point anyway. I imagine you'd still want to know it's signature sound or even further characteristics. The kind of headphones it could drive you can more or less tell from the specs.
post #326 of 1711
i am very interesting with ifi products, but can't find one in indonesia, do you have any dealer here , spe iallyin jakarta, i don,t want to buy online becuase indonesia custom tax is so high and ridiciluous
post #327 of 1711

I did a super quick read through this thread so I may not have grasped all of the potential advantages/disadvantages...

 

1.)  Seems that some people are having with USB3.0 ports of the latest MacBook Pro which I do use.  If I use a USB2.0 hub with the iFi Nano iDSD then there is no problem?  A decent short-term workaround until the new firmware is ready.

 

2.)  Is there a reason I may want the iDAC over the iDSD?  Lets forget about the DSD playback for this question.  I would use the iDSD with a Bottlehead Crack amp and some IEMs.  Does the iDAC having a more powerful headphone output which would make the iDSD better for sensitive IEMs?  iPhone 4S as a transport will play a small role as well for me but not crucial in decision making.

 

After thinking about the various options out there in the sub $300 realm of DACs the iDSD appears to be a clear winner for me.  

post #328 of 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post
 

I did a super quick read through this thread so I may not have grasped all of the potential advantages/disadvantages...

 

1.)  Seems that some people are having with USB3.0 ports of the latest MacBook Pro which I do use.  If I use a USB2.0 hub with the iFi Nano iDSD then there is no problem?  A decent short-term workaround until the new firmware is ready.

 

2.)  Is there a reason I may want the iDAC over the iDSD?  Lets forget about the DSD playback for this question.  I would use the iDSD with a Bottlehead Crack amp and some IEMs.  Does the iDAC having a more powerful headphone output which would make the iDSD better for sensitive IEMs?  iPhone 4S as a transport will play a small role as well for me but not crucial in decision making.

 

After thinking about the various options out there in the sub $300 realm of DACs the iDSD appears to be a clear winner for me.  

some general differences:

 

1. iDSD is much smaller, so that might make a difference to you

2. iDAC uses a different DAC chip (ESS Sabre), so if you like that chip, it might suit you better

3. iDSD had a SPDIF output, so in effect, acts as a USB->SPDIF converter, which could be useful

 

i do believe the iDAC is a bit more powerful. for a truly portable solution, looks like the iDSD might be better, but i've never heard/used the iDAC, so can't say for certain.

post #329 of 1711

Thanks for the info.  iDSD is in my immediate future.  I can always try the iDAC later on for comparison. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

some general differences:

 

1. iDSD is much smaller, so that might make a difference to you

2. iDAC uses a different DAC chip (ESS Sabre), so if you like that chip, it might suit you better

3. iDSD had a SPDIF output, so in effect, acts as a USB->SPDIF converter, which could be useful

 

i do believe the iDAC is a bit more powerful. for a truly portable solution, looks like the iDSD might be better, but i've never heard/used the iDAC, so can't say for certain.

post #330 of 1711

I was looking at the same choice. I simply wanted the best sounding playback into a standalone headphone amp from the line outs in a desktop setup. Vince from iFi said the iDAC was the slightly better sounding unit in that scenario because the output stage is more sophisticated. I use it with the ifi iUSB power supply which is a notable improvement over being driven directly by the computer USB power. I difference especially when driving headphones directly (which takes more juice than just running into a line in stage.) The iDAC has a decent headphone amp.

 

All that said, I think the main selling point of the iDSD (other than it's greater format flexibility)  is its internal battery for portable use. It was put to me this way:

 

best sound in a computer setup --> iDAC

almost as good sound from a portable (iphone/android) setup --> iDSD


Edited by KmanChu - 3/11/14 at 10:00am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression