or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression - Page 18

post #256 of 1744

No probems here with USB 3.0 on my HP laptop. Not sure if 3.0 isnt overkill anyway. Anyone notice a difference in sound between a 3.0 and 3.0 USB? I havent compared the two. - some other 'discoveries' re. iDSD sound, since having it now for a couple of weeks.... Symbols have a very nice clean presentation with great decay like I have previously not heard. Also, for example Jethro Tull, I can hear how softly the notes come from his flute. Drums are tight and defined. Vocals are spot on.

post #257 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherq View Post
 

Ok, I've encountered another issue with the iDSD when I connect it to my other laptop.  On a USB 3.0 port, I can't play DSD files (DFF, DSF) files properly.  PCM has no issue, but on my i7 Lenovo Helix, when I plug the iDSD with the USB cable that comes with it, using foobar, hqplayer or JRMC, all the DSD files sounded staccato and choppy.  I tried both ASIO and WASAPI drivers with the same outcome.  The ASIO drivers even hung the players and seems to even wait for kernel events (the program UI closes, but the process is still visible in the task manager).  I tried different ports, linking to and using the USB 3.0 port on my monitor and switching cables but to no avail.

 

What worked was when I switched in the BIOS for the USB ports to behave as an USB 2.0 port.  The other way was to hook up an USB 2.0 hub and plug the iDSD to it.

 

You are correct.

 

USB 3.0 ports have slightly different specs from manufacturer to manufacturer.

 

Hence, at the moment, with a dac such as the iDSD, it will work with the USB 3.0 port of some PCs and not with the USB 3.0 ports of others.

 

We are working on a solution to remedy this for all USB 3.0 ports.

 

Not nice, but computer manufacturers dont inform audio manufacturers when they change the tech specs.

post #258 of 1744

Ok sports fans - one more thing - actually I'm sure there will be more.... Ok as you guys will know.. The Mrs. etc were out of the house, no not that,.... 

 

I had the chance to do a 'focused' session. I put focused on quotes, due to the possible influence of substances etc,... Anyway - the goal was to determine if the iDSD would do 'better' with upsampled data from JRiver vs. doing it on its own (sorry - oversampled). Anywho - every other DAC I have does better when the said data is upsampled/oversampled before it reaches said DAC. Not so with the iDSD IMFHO. Anywho. All is good in redbook land. Cary-on.

post #259 of 1744

Is there an ETA for the USB 3.0 firmware update? My iDSD no longer outputs audio from any of my Macs, including a Mavericks/10.9.1 Mac Mini, a new 10.9.1 MacBook Pro or an older Mac Pro 10.8.6 tower (the latter is USB 2.0). 

 

Actually, the laptop outputs audio, but it's full of static and dropouts, and after about 10 seconds it quits entirely. 

 

I've tried JRiver, iTunes, Cog, Decibel, YouTube videos via the browser, everything. Silence via RCA outs and headphones. 

 

The unit still works on iOS devices, btw. 


Edited by limahuli - 2/18/14 at 1:47pm
post #260 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by limahuli View Post
 

Is there an ETA for the USB 3.0 firmware update? My iDSD no longer outputs audio from any of my Macs, including a Mavericks/10.9.1 Mac Mini, a new 10.9.1 MacBook Pro or an older Mac Pro 10.8.6 tower (the latter is USB 2.0). 

 

Actually, the laptop outputs audio, but it's full of static and dropouts, and after about 10 seconds it quits entirely. 

 

I've tried JRiver, iTunes, Cog, Decibel, YouTube videos via the browser, everything. Silence via RCA outs and headphones. 

 

The unit still works on iOS devices, btw. 

that stinks. but if it's not outputting any sound even out of a usb 2.0 port, then something's wrong with the iDSD that's not related to usb 3.0. did you try using different USB cables?

post #261 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

that stinks. but if it's not outputting any sound even out of a usb 2.0 port, then something's wrong with the iDSD that's not related to usb 3.0. did you try using different USB cables?

Yes, tried both the supplied ifi USB cable and a new one from Monoprice. 

 

I have a feeling the Mavericks update from 10.9.0 to 10.9.1 may have hosed the iDSD's ability to deal with USB 3.0 connections, but can't explain why a machine with 10.8.6/USB 2.0 that worked for a month just stopped working at the same time as the 3.0 machines. 


Edited by limahuli - 2/18/14 at 3:45pm
post #262 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by limahuli View Post
 

Yes, tried both the supplied ifi USB cable and a new one from Monoprice. 

 

I have a feeling the Mavericks update from 10.9.0 to 10.9.1 may have hosed the iDSD's ability to deal with USB 3.0 connections, but can't explain why a machine with 10.8.6/USB 2.0 that worked for a month just stopped working at the same time as the 3.0 machines. 

yeah, that usb 2.0 not working as well leads me to believe that there's an issue with the iDSD that's not normal. i think a lot of people here who have iDSDs are using them fine on their macs with usb 3.0. 

post #263 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

yeah, that usb 2.0 not working as well leads me to believe that there's an issue with the iDSD that's not normal. i think a lot of people here who have iDSDs are using them fine on their macs with usb 3.0. 

 

Hi Kugino,

 

Mr Limahui has already emailed us and we are running through his computer setup situation.

 

He kindly emailed us directly:

 

'The iDSD has ceased working with my desktop computers. I'm running 10.8.5 at work and 10.9.1 at home, and the device no longer has any

output. I've tried every combination of connections and rebooted, attempting to use iTunes, Cog, Decibel and other audio apps, with no luck.

 

Have any other users reported this? The device still works with my iPhone and my iPad, by the way.'

 

As he actually confirmed that the iDSD works fine with his iPad and iPhone, we logically deduced it isn't the iDSD.

 

We are working through the setup configs on the PCs....once we have his screenshots, we can hopefully get to the bottom.


Edited by iFi audio - 2/19/14 at 3:39am
post #264 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post

Hi Kugino,

Mr Limahui has already emailed us and we are running through his computer setup situation.

He kindly emailed us directly:

'The iDSD has ceased working with my desktop computers. I'm running 10.8.5 at work and 10.9.1 at home, and the device no longer has any
output. I've tried every combination of connections and rebooted, attempting to use iTunes, Cog, Decibel and other audio apps, with no luck.

Have any other users reported this? The device still works with my iPhone and my iPad, by the way.'

As he actually confirmed that the iDSD works fine with his iPad and iPhone, we logically deduced it isn't the iDSD.

We are working through the setup configs on the PCs....once we have his screenshots, we can hopefully get to the bottom.
I missed that part where he said it works fine with the ipad/idevice. Glad you're working with him to see where the issue is...I really appreciate ifi's customer service and interaction with the community.
post #265 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


I missed that part where he said it works fine with the ipad/idevice. Glad you're working with him to see where the issue is...I really appreciate ifi's customer service and interaction with the community.

 

It is good that we receive these requests because we can directly sense how much computer audio knowledge there is out there and across the whole spectrum of users.

 

Limahui fortunately did some basic checking and narrowed it down for us already.

 

We are just waiting on his OS X screenshots with the iDSD connected to see where the issue lies.

 

We wont know until we see the screenshots...this helps us with other users as it speeds things up in the future.

post #266 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwaxxer View Post
 

Ok sports fans - one more thing - actually I'm sure there will be more.... Ok as you guys will know.. The Mrs. etc were out of the house, no not that,.... 

 

I had the chance to do a 'focused' session. I put focused on quotes, due to the possible influence of substances etc,... Anyway - the goal was to determine if the iDSD would do 'better' with upsampled data from JRiver vs. doing it on its own (sorry - oversampled). Anywho - every other DAC I have does better when the said data is upsampled/oversampled before it reaches said DAC. Not so with the iDSD IMFHO. Anywho. All is good in redbook land. Cary-on.


Sounds amazing! How do hi-res and DSD files compare to redbook on the iDSD?

post #267 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by REXNFX View Post
 


Sounds amazing! How do hi-res and DSD files compare to redbook on the iDSD?


I have some HDTracks downloads in 24/96 and I cant really notice that much, if any difference. Two favs. being 'Band on the Run' and 'Raising Sand'. Thats pretty much been true for every DAC I have experience with. I dont have any DSD files. Upsampled to DSD/high res. using JRiver sounds the same as allowing the iDSD to handle the job.

post #268 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by limahuli View Post
 

Yes, tried both the supplied ifi USB cable and a new one from Monoprice. 

 

I have a feeling the Mavericks update from 10.9.0 to 10.9.1 may have hosed the iDSD's ability to deal with USB 3.0 connections, but can't explain why a machine with 10.8.6/USB 2.0 that worked for a month just stopped working at the same time as the 3.0 machines. 

Very strange. I've been able to use the iDSD on the USB 3.0 connections on a Macbook with Mavericks 10.9.1 so far without any hiccups. It will be interesting to see what the solution is to the problem for your 2 machines.

post #269 of 1744
I have mentioned that in PM to iFi, but I want to repeat myself here. The iDSD sometimes stops outputting analogue signal to RCA outputs. I had that feeling that it usually happens when mode is changing either to/from higher sample rate or PCM - DSD - DXD. One may try to turn iDSD off and disconnect USB cable for few seconds, plug it to different USB port in your computer and then connect it back and turn iDSD on. This helped me most times. Also playing DSD128 material in Foobar and then switching to PCM sometimes helps. Also helped if I rebooted in Linux and used Jack at 352.8 sample rate, play some tack, and then then restart Jack at 44.1 sample rate, and stop Jack and reboot in Windows.

For me it sounds like iDSD supports hardware volume control or mute function and that get stuck in some memory of iDSD, or I also thought maybe PCM and DSD are decoded by two different DACs and the switching between them sometimes sticks. I have also had situation that Foobar was able to play DSD128 file fine, but couldn't switch back to PCM. I had rebooted the box several times then, with no success, I booted in Linux, then in Windows and finally I got it working again.
post #270 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by REXNFX View Post


Sounds amazing! How do hi-res and DSD files compare to redbook on the iDSD?

You can download free DSD examples from here.

These recordings sound stunning on my current setup, which is USB 2.0 port + iDSD + Pan Am + Alpha Dogs.
I would probably not hear any difference between DSD or HiRez and CD with my other headphones like RHA-30, but with these orthos you hear absolutely every even the smallest change in sound reproduction.

This is my personal opinion, personally I prefer iDSD playing DSD rather than PCM, even rather than DXD, which in theory should be superior to any DSD.
I even prefer to have PCM converted to DSD on the fly by foo_dsd_asio. I do prefer that even if the image is little blurred as compared to PCM. The image might be weaker and blurred, but I can hear significant improvement in soundstage and 3D image. Basically DSD sounds to me more natural, even if technically it measures worse than PCM. The ballance between bass and treble is appealing to my taste. What I hear is soundstage gets bigger, and many layers are revealed, you can feel the sound is coming from distance rather than from your head, and all drums have this punch, the PRaT is just amazing. The only problem I think there could be high energy ultrasonic frequencies, which I feel tire my ears a bit.

I would like to know what is the characteristics of the output filter in DSD mode? Is DSD converted back to n-bit and digital filter is applied before output?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression