Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Do balanced armatures deteriorate/go bad???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do balanced armatures deteriorate/go bad???

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Whats up guys. i was wondering do BA"s start do deteriorate or start to lose function after prolonged non-usage? i have a pair of shure e500's and se 315's that i haven't used in several years. probably since 2010. the cables on both of the earphones have gone bad. i was planning to get the e500's reshelled until i heard that it might not be a good idea because they haven't been used in such a long time. is this true? i haven't gotten around to reshelling them simply because i have other iem's that i enjoy listening to. should i bite the bullet and go for the reshell or should i pay for the repair fee and upgrade to the se535? i would appreciate any input. thanks.

post #2 of 15

I don't think that they should, especially when they aren't using a diaphragm like a dynamic, but I wouldn't know for sure.  The crapulent stock cables generally go bad long before drivers of any kind do, so I would go for the repair/upgrade.  As a bonus, SE535 at least has a detachable cable, so when the cable gives out, a cable replacement is a simple job that you can do yourself without any tools.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

thanks max. i appreciate that. anyone else???

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
 

I don't think that they should, especially when they aren't using a diaphragm like a dynamic, but I wouldn't know for sure.  The crapulent stock cables generally go bad long before drivers of any kind do, so I would go for the repair/upgrade.  As a bonus, SE535 at least has a detachable cable, so when the cable gives out, a cable replacement is a simple job that you can do yourself without any tools.

 

What are you talking about?  There's still a diaphragm in a balanced armature driver.

post #5 of 15

I suppose after a long time, all drivers will eventually fail, but cables will likely go first. 

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
 

 

What are you talking about?  There's still a diaphragm in a balanced armature driver.

 

wut

post #7 of 15
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
 

 

wut

 

 

Software: Microsoft Office

Seriously, 5 seconds of Google searching would've given you the answer.


Edited by jekostas - 9/25/13 at 11:27pm
post #9 of 15

everything man made is subject to fail IMO

post #10 of 15

Don't drop your earphones and they should be fine for a long time.

post #11 of 15

I think they're less prone to damage than dynamics, as they move less. But everything eventually gets old and deteriorates.

post #12 of 15

Here is an animated GIF of a BA driver

 

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/KlipschBlogs/headphones/100209_01BalancedArmature.gif

 

sorry it's a link, I did'nt know how to insert this directly

post #13 of 15

Yes, they go bad. My XBA 3, have gone bad and distort horribly. My assumption is that one of the 3 driver has stopped functioning. Its kind of sad. I spent around $150 on them and then another $100 in re-shelling them and they barely lasted for about an year.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
 

 

 

Software: Microsoft Office

Seriously, 5 seconds of Google searching would've given you the answer.

 

 

I saw a youtube vid a long time ago about Westone drivers and supposedly it is a copper plate that creates the sound, not some kind of plastic diaphragm like in a dynamic driver of any sort. Oh well, whatever.

post #15 of 15

Most problems with the receivers are caused by earwax, always keep the tips clean

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Do balanced armatures deteriorate/go bad???