I'm having some trouble deciding on which headphones are better for me. I have looked at the HD 598, Sony MA900, DT 880 Premium, Fidelio X1. Currently I only own a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro so I'm looking for a good upgrade with the following:
- Neutral sound. I a balanced headphone instead of a bass/mid/treble heavy one. I do like some good, tight (not overwhelming) bass in my music once in a while.
- Big soundstage. This is for gaming an movies since I intend to use virtual surround from my PC (from either a Xonar Dx/SB Z sound card). This is also why I' only looking for open headphones.
- Sound Quality. Of course non of the above really matters if the sound quality is subpar.
- Build Quality. I want these headphones to last for a while. I'm very careful with things so it's not like it has to have industrial-like materials but for example, I've heard the MA900 are very flimsy.
- Comfort. Anything would be better than my current headphones so while I want something that doesn't bother me, I'll choose quality over comfort unless the difference is too pronounced.
I'm also looking for a portable amp but I'm already set on the Fiio E11. So for example the 250 ohm impedance of the DT 880 wouldn't be a problem.