So i have scraped enough money to buy a HD 650 after selling my DT-880s. I read online alot of people saying that the STX just does not do the 650 proper justice, and needs a tube amp to really shine. I tried the headphones at my local store and they were very comfortable and sounded great.... but they were also demo'ed using a $1500 peachtree nova. Should i go for the 650's or maybe go for a 600 or 598?
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650 + Vali + Xonar Essense STX Last post on 5/27/15 at 11:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recently just picked up a STX Xonar Essence, don't know what closed headphones to choose for... Last post on 7/15/14 at 2:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- IMPORTANT: Audio quality is a huge protection to your hearing! Last post on 6/7/14 at 10:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- Using Sennheisers HD 650 with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, and looking to... Last post on 4/20/14 at 10:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which DAC to get for my HD650 Last post on 10/12/15 at 12:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Charles from Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is...
So I am fairly new to the audio world. The Monoprice 8323 was my second purchase on starting to get into headphones (after Superlux HD681 EVOs). I have had these headphones for about 6 months...
LEAR LHF-AE1d Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to LEAR for the sample. Brief: All of da pretty and they sound just as good too! Price: HK$1488 or atm £146 or...
The Edifier MP700 Rave Introduction Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for...
is a HD-650 overkill for a Xonar STX?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So i have scraped enough money to buy a HD 650 after selling my DT-880s. I read online a lot of people saying that the STX just does not do the 650 proper justice, and needs a tube amp to really shine. I tried the headphones at my local store and they were very comfortable and sounded great.... but they were also demo'ed using a $1500 Peachtree Nova. Should I go for the 650's or maybe go for a 600 or 598?
If you read all 916 pages of this thread, I'm sure you will have a great understanding of what amplifiers work well with the Sennheiser HD650.
You might also be able to replace the STX's op-amps (operational amplifiers) to something that improves the audio quality of the HD650 (or other headphones) when plugged into the STX.
Ignore them (along with the suggestions to buy inferior headphones), and just try the HD650 and decide yourself. From a technical point of view, there is no reason why the STX could not do "proper justice" to these headphones, and a lot of people have a biased and snobbish attitude regarding sound cards. If you do not like the sound of the new headphones after using them for a while, you can simply return them, but no one on an internet forum will be able to tell what they will sound like exactly to you. It is not impossible that these are not the right headphones for you (after getting used to the brighter sound of the DT880, one could easily find the HD650 "veiled" at first), but since you have already listened to and liked them, it is at least worth a try.
They will probably still sound good from the STX.... Maybe you could add an amplifier at a later date using the STX RCA outs as the DAC section of the STX is actually very good. Use the STX amp for now and then add a external amp at a later date and see for yourself, its not like the HD650 will sound terrible out of the STX amplifier but you will get improvements with a better amplifier. Alternatively the HE-400 work well out of the STX and do not need much amplification, I prefer the HE-400 to the HD650, depends what you want to use them for.
Edited by nicholars - 9/26/13 at 3:12am
Yep get some HD650 or Hifman HE400, use your STX for now and then either use the STX as a DAC to an external amp or use the SP/DIF out to an external DAC / AMP at a later date. The HD650 might be a little lacking on the STX.. but it certainly will not be bad.... Just maybe not as good as it can potentially be.
Acoustic / classical / slower music / films / games = HD650
Faster music / more energy / electronic / bass = HE400
Get one depending on your preferences.... Personally I think the HD650 are excellent, especially for acoustic, classical or slow/relaxing type music... but a bit boring, the HE400 are much more fun and night and day better for bass and electronic music although not as good for films and games.
Hope that helps
Edited by nicholars - 9/26/13 at 7:38am
I have read these forums for a while but never even made an account but your question stuck out to me because... I currently use HD650s and have used an asus xonar essence STX for years to drive them. I also purchased a Peachtree iNova from a nice store here in NC and use that for mainly stereo sound but also for my 650s. I honestly think my xonar does a great job of driving my 650s (which I have had for 6 or more years) but I mainly use it when gaming. I use the hifi settings in the xonar program and use the extra high gain setting (300-600 ohms) and I feel the 650s do exceptionally well.
On a side note i feel the peachtree iNova has slightly better performance when listening to music but I do have to crank up the volume to drive them well. (I use the USB connection from my PC to connect the iNova).
Anyway I would say you should be very happy with a set of 650s and an STX card, still can't find a more comfortable set of cans, and if you want you can buy a better amp down the line.
- is a HD-650 overkill for a Xonar STX?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › got the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm and returning them 53 seconds ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex T50rp MK3 (MKIII) modded with 2 different sets of earpads +... 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › New headphone recommendation. 6 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions 10 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 10 minutes ago
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d Earphone Review by mark2410 12 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...