I'm waiting on an X5 which has a good amount of power for a portable DAP...I still love my Mad Dogs - even out of a little E17, they make music so enjoyable to listen to. For me, these are the kind of cans that you just hold onto even if you pick up something better down the road.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Vali to replace/upgrade from Magni with Mad Dog Headphones Last post on 8/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hi, I'm new and need help with choosing components Last post on 12/10/13 at 1:19am in Computer Audio
- Need Cans for my Lifestyle Last post on 4/3/14 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
BTW, they also did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog review at:
Hey I have the Mad Dogs and I'm loving them a lot. I was using the ibasso d12 and a DAC/Amp combo and I just recently started to use the Fiio X3 and a DAC. In doing so I wonder should I now switch to a device that is fully an Amp (like the Fiio e12) or does the d12s provide enough power as a standalone amp.
So what is the general consensus on recommended portable amps for these cans? I know the E12 has been recommended. Any others that do just as good or a better job without taking up that much space?
dude....its right on the first post! there's a list there.
I believe I read this somewhere, but the CMoy is a very bad fit for the Mad Dogs, even worse than the iPod's headphone out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The E12 has been recommended a few times and is great for its money and size! I'm currently using the ALO RX Mk3 and I'm waiting for Dan to send back my upgraded balanced universal. I am very happy with the sound single ended out of my RX Mk3 though. I don't think there's a big difference between the B and the newer B+ edition except for the improved battery life.
Didn't really pay attention to the first few pages of the thread so I definitely didn't see the recommendations already made. With a small budget and space limit, does anything compare to the E12 or is that top of the line for that price point and portability?
I saw one user that wrote that, but thats it, I would like more input also.
I have a Cmoy and it does not work very well with either the HE-400 or the Mad Dogs. It's fine with most dynamics, so it seems it is not suited for planars in general.
which one did you have? opamp? I'm getting it from BSG and I inform him what headphone I have, hopefully he can work his magic.
The Cmoy in the Altoids can from JDS Labs.
There was some discussion elsewhere in the Forums about some headphones needing voltage and some needing current, and that dynamics needed one and planars need the other. I am oversimplifying the electronics - and I have no idea whether it is correct - but that was the conclusion.
From my own experience, it might be the case that the Cmoy design works for dynamics and not for planars for that reason being discussed. The Cmoy design is amazing in how with a very few tiny parts, it can create a very nice sounding portable amplifier. So, it seems likely that it has some significant tradeoffs, and those might be the same thing that is needed to work with planars.
But the above is just speculation.
- Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 27 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 51 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 58 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › Trying to find some nice crisp/clear/crystal clear heahphones 2 minutes ago
- › The Ghost in the MP3 2 minutes ago
- › DT770 Pro 80 EQ question. Help greatly(!) appreciated. 2 minutes ago
- › Best drug-related album/CD or most "trippy" CD/album... 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3