I'm waiting on an X5 which has a good amount of power for a portable DAP...I still love my Mad Dogs - even out of a little E17, they make music so enjoyable to listen to. For me, these are the kind of cans that you just hold onto even if you pick up something better down the road.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Vali to replace/upgrade from Magni with Mad Dog Headphones Last post on 8/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hi, I'm new and need help with choosing components Last post on 12/10/13 at 1:19am in Computer Audio
- Need Cans for my Lifestyle Last post on 4/3/14 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 4/13/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 1/22/15
I personally thought these were a lame purchase after i had bought 'em. About a week later i just left my apartment and left them shouting out opeth and other metal with the bass in 4/4 position...
Fiio X3 2nd generation preview Disclaimer: before jumping into the device itself, I have to talk a little bit about myself. I am still an amateur on the subject of sound quality, but I’ll...
They re absoultely amazing I srsly reccomend you buy them listening to songs with them are like hearing the artists in real life its honestly amazing!
As my wife will tell you, at just about every major audio show I attend I buy something (shocker right?). There’s something cool about looking at my pieces of gear and thinking about the show...
So i bought the DT 880 250 Ohm Pro model. I also have KEf m200 in ears, a pair of AKG k450. I owned Audio Technica m30, Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 Ohm. The difference is...
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread - Page 21post #301 of 4052/10/14 at 6:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 4052/10/14 at 8:00pmpost #303 of 4052/10/14 at 8:25pmQuote:
BTW, they also did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog review at:post #304 of 4052/17/14 at 10:12am
Hey I have the Mad Dogs and I'm loving them a lot. I was using the ibasso d12 and a DAC/Amp combo and I just recently started to use the Fiio X3 and a DAC. In doing so I wonder should I now switch to a device that is fully an Amp (like the Fiio e12) or does the d12s provide enough power as a standalone amp.post #305 of 4052/17/14 at 12:52pmpost #306 of 4052/17/14 at 2:11pm
So what is the general consensus on recommended portable amps for these cans? I know the E12 has been recommended. Any others that do just as good or a better job without taking up that much space?post #307 of 4052/17/14 at 2:12pmQuote:
dude....its right on the first post! there's a list there.post #308 of 4052/17/14 at 5:54pmQuote:
I believe I read this somewhere, but the CMoy is a very bad fit for the Mad Dogs, even worse than the iPod's headphone out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.post #309 of 4052/17/14 at 5:57pmQuote:
The E12 has been recommended a few times and is great for its money and size! I'm currently using the ALO RX Mk3 and I'm waiting for Dan to send back my upgraded balanced universal. I am very happy with the sound single ended out of my RX Mk3 though. I don't think there's a big difference between the B and the newer B+ edition except for the improved battery life.post #310 of 4052/17/14 at 6:38pm
Didn't really pay attention to the first few pages of the thread so I definitely didn't see the recommendations already made. With a small budget and space limit, does anything compare to the E12 or is that top of the line for that price point and portability?post #311 of 4052/17/14 at 9:16pmQuote:
I saw one user that wrote that, but thats it, I would like more input also.post #312 of 4052/18/14 at 12:35am
I have a Cmoy and it does not work very well with either the HE-400 or the Mad Dogs. It's fine with most dynamics, so it seems it is not suited for planars in general.post #313 of 4052/18/14 at 12:22pmQuote:
which one did you have? opamp? I'm getting it from BSG and I inform him what headphone I have, hopefully he can work his magic.post #314 of 4052/18/14 at 12:27pmpost #315 of 4052/18/14 at 1:03pm
The Cmoy in the Altoids can from JDS Labs.
There was some discussion elsewhere in the Forums about some headphones needing voltage and some needing current, and that dynamics needed one and planars need the other. I am oversimplifying the electronics - and I have no idea whether it is correct - but that was the conclusion.
From my own experience, it might be the case that the Cmoy design works for dynamics and not for planars for that reason being discussed. The Cmoy design is amazing in how with a very few tiny parts, it can create a very nice sounding portable amplifier. So, it seems likely that it has some significant tradeoffs, and those might be the same thing that is needed to work with planars.
But the above is just speculation.
- Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › New member - Looking for open/semi-open he w/ similar sound of Voda... 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 2 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 Headphone AMP worldwide review tour --Reviewers Wanted! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just... 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 4 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black by 69Beyer
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by m1ku
- › Monster PowerBeats Sport Headphones by HeadPhones ON
- › ALO Audio - The New Rx by mscott58
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by bodopopa
- › Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Headphones by Woodhouse
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2