I'm waiting on an X5 which has a good amount of power for a portable DAP...I still love my Mad Dogs - even out of a little E17, they make music so enjoyable to listen to. For me, these are the kind of cans that you just hold onto even if you pick up something better down the road.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Vali to replace/upgrade from Magni with Mad Dog Headphones Last post on 8/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hi, I'm new and need help with choosing components Last post on 12/10/13 at 1:19am in Computer Audio
- Need Cans for my Lifestyle Last post on 4/3/14 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread - Page 21post #301 of 3832/10/14 at 6:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 3832/10/14 at 8:00pmpost #303 of 3832/10/14 at 8:25pmQuote:
BTW, they also did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog review at:post #304 of 3832/17/14 at 10:12am
Hey I have the Mad Dogs and I'm loving them a lot. I was using the ibasso d12 and a DAC/Amp combo and I just recently started to use the Fiio X3 and a DAC. In doing so I wonder should I now switch to a device that is fully an Amp (like the Fiio e12) or does the d12s provide enough power as a standalone amp.post #305 of 3832/17/14 at 12:52pmpost #306 of 3832/17/14 at 2:11pm
So what is the general consensus on recommended portable amps for these cans? I know the E12 has been recommended. Any others that do just as good or a better job without taking up that much space?post #307 of 3832/17/14 at 2:12pmQuote:
dude....its right on the first post! there's a list there.post #308 of 3832/17/14 at 5:54pmQuote:
I believe I read this somewhere, but the CMoy is a very bad fit for the Mad Dogs, even worse than the iPod's headphone out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.post #309 of 3832/17/14 at 5:57pmQuote:
The E12 has been recommended a few times and is great for its money and size! I'm currently using the ALO RX Mk3 and I'm waiting for Dan to send back my upgraded balanced universal. I am very happy with the sound single ended out of my RX Mk3 though. I don't think there's a big difference between the B and the newer B+ edition except for the improved battery life.post #310 of 3832/17/14 at 6:38pm
Didn't really pay attention to the first few pages of the thread so I definitely didn't see the recommendations already made. With a small budget and space limit, does anything compare to the E12 or is that top of the line for that price point and portability?post #311 of 3832/17/14 at 9:16pmQuote:
I saw one user that wrote that, but thats it, I would like more input also.post #312 of 3832/18/14 at 12:35am
I have a Cmoy and it does not work very well with either the HE-400 or the Mad Dogs. It's fine with most dynamics, so it seems it is not suited for planars in general.post #313 of 3832/18/14 at 12:22pmQuote:
which one did you have? opamp? I'm getting it from BSG and I inform him what headphone I have, hopefully he can work his magic.post #314 of 3832/18/14 at 12:27pmpost #315 of 3832/18/14 at 1:03pm
The Cmoy in the Altoids can from JDS Labs.
There was some discussion elsewhere in the Forums about some headphones needing voltage and some needing current, and that dynamics needed one and planars need the other. I am oversimplifying the electronics - and I have no idea whether it is correct - but that was the conclusion.
From my own experience, it might be the case that the Cmoy design works for dynamics and not for planars for that reason being discussed. The Cmoy design is amazing in how with a very few tiny parts, it can create a very nice sounding portable amplifier. So, it seems likely that it has some significant tradeoffs, and those might be the same thing that is needed to work with planars.
But the above is just speculation.
- Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600) 43 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 52 seconds ago
- › Review: Sony MDR-7550 53 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page FW download & general... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › Audio conversion of FLAC & ALAC files 2 minutes ago
- › Ready to get into hi end. lcd-x + schiit stack or wa22 + hd800 +... 2 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)