New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New WESTONE W-SERIES - Page 6

post #76 of 633

Yea, it seems that now they have the Shure type of connectors now. I'm looking forward to the nice sounding.

post #77 of 633

Wondering if anybody who got or tested W40 and have access to 4R can compare the sound?  Since I also publish my reviews on other websites (related to android gadgets), I had a lot of requests asking about this sound comparison.  I'm also surprised about lack of any other new W-series on-line reviews.  So hoping someone can contribute, someone who had a chance to listen to burn in models of both, not just a showroom preview.

 

The reason why I'm stressing out burn-in, and I know some true audiophiles might dismiss that because we are talking about BA drivers - I found W40 to be like a fine wine, gets better with burn in time for me ;)  The stage widened, the bass tighten, and the mids are not as much scooped as it was before.  Another improvement, and it could be in my head only, but the the line between listening to high and low quality audio sources it starting to blur.  Yes, they are detailed enough to hear all the imperfections, but they have this very smooth and warm sound characteristics that even imperfections are pleasant to listen to.  I'm especially enjoying it with some of the movies/streaming on my phone where sound source is not necessary hi-fi.

 

Just for the record, I try to do a reality check from time to time by switching to UE900 or P7 or M-100 just to make sure I'm doing a proper assesment of the sound and my ears are not getting used to new headphones signature.

 

But anyway.  If someone will get a hold of W40 and can do a comparison of the sound with 4R - that would be fantastic!

post #78 of 633
The lack of reviews is due to the lack of sales since it is same as W4. Even Westone says its same. Brain burn in is the other phenomenon. I also have grown to like my W4 more and more over time but I think this is appreciating the sound more not any kind of burn in.
post #79 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

The lack of reviews is due to the lack of sales since it is same as W4. Even Westone says its same. Brain burn in is the other phenomenon. I also have grown to like my W4 more and more over time but I think this is appreciating the sound more not any kind of burn in.

 

What do you think about the bass on W4, in terms of quantity? Any comparison to other IEMs?  I was under impression that multi-driver IEM will be mostly designed for audiophiles who want a neutral detailed sound for analysis.  That's how I accepted it as a limitation on UE900.  Heck, even UE600 with a single BA has more bass.  Here with W40 I can actually hear a nice amount of bass, and overall it's a perfect balance of details which are actually easy on your ears.

 

At the current moment, the only negative comment I have about W40 headphones is the monitor vault storage case. I freak out every time I close it thinking I'm going to pinch/crush the wire.  You can drive with a car over that case or drop it in the water and it will survive.  It will be perfect for traveling, but for everyday use I'm probably going to look for some semi-hard zippered shell case.  Been using my bluebuds x old case for now, but thinking about getting the one from slappa.

post #80 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

What do you think about the bass on W4, in terms of quantity? Any comparison to other IEMs?  I was under impression that multi-driver IEM will be mostly designed for audiophiles who want a neutral detailed sound for analysis.  That's how I accepted it as a limitation on UE900.  Heck, even UE600 with a single BA has more bass.  Here with W40 I can actually hear a nice amount of bass, and overall it's a perfect balance of details which are actually easy on your ears.

 

At the current moment, the only negative comment I have about W40 headphones is the monitor vault storage case. I freak out every time I close it thinking I'm going to pinch/crush the wire.  You can drive with a car over that case or drop it in the water and it will survive.  It will be perfect for traveling, but for everyday use I'm probably going to look for some semi-hard zippered shell case.  Been using my bluebuds x old case for now, but thinking about getting the one from slappa.

 

The UE 900 is actually neutral with its bass quantity, that's why the UE 600 seems like it has more, it probably does.  The UE 900 is also regarded by many as a midrange-focused (instrumentally) phone.  The W4 actually offers much better presence (and quantity) over the UE 900 in terms of bass.  Although it does have a mid-bass focus, the bass is still quite tight and fast.  They are, however, not neutral still (neither phone really is).  

post #81 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

The UE 900 is actually neutral with its bass quantity, that's why the UE 600 seems like it has more, it probably does.  The UE 900 is also regarded by many as a midrange-focused (instrumentally) phone.  The W4 actually offers much better presence (and quantity) over the UE 900 in terms of bass.  Although it does have a mid-bass focus, the bass is still quite tight and fast.  They are, however, not neutral still (neither phone really is).

 

That's about right how W40 sounds per your W4 description.  So perhaps it's true about driver being the same.

post #82 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post

That's about right how W40 sounds per your W4 description.  So perhaps it's true about driver being the same.

I could have sworn that Westone (CS) already stated that the W40 and W4 share identical drivers...
post #83 of 633
X2 what tinyman said above describing W4. A little bit of mid bass to make it not totally neutral but it makes vocals very lush and engaging. But overall a pretty balanced iem.
Edited by Spyro - 12/29/13 at 6:14am
post #84 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

X2 what tinyman said above describing W4. A little bit of mid bass to make it not totally neutral but it makes vocals very lush and engaging. But overall a pretty balanced iem.

 

Thank you for confirmation!!!

 

Btw, do you (or have you when you owned it) use original monitor vault case that came with it or something else?  Also, did you use stock eartips or an alternative ones?

post #85 of 633

I never used the vault case.  I keep my player and IEM's together in a pretty small padded camera case.  I think brand is "case logic."   It's not crush proof or anything but it works for me and I'm pretty careful with my gear.  Yea, you need to be careful closing the vault to make sure you are not pinching the cable.  Same thing with zipper cases.  

 

I'm using the supplied "star" tips.  The ones with the blue markings.  I found complys make the sound overly smooth and not crisp enough and the white tri-flanges modded to bi-flanges just don't sound right to me.  Like the sound is compressed or something.  Maybe due to the smaller exit hole on the tip...not sure.

 

My case is real similar to this.    http://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/camera-cases/compact-camera-cases/compact-camera-case-_-qpb_-_201_-_black

 

What do people do with their player and/or amp if they keep their IEM's in their own case?  I always wondered this?  Isn't it easier to keep together?


Edited by Spyro - 12/29/13 at 6:28pm
post #86 of 633
I've always kept my um1s in the pre-supplied case westone provided, its kept them safe so far, and i have taken my iems out quite a few times
As far as eartips i've used the complys and star tips, but i settled on the oval ones from klipsch because they seem to seal better for me
post #87 of 633

I use the supplied Westone case. I have a system of winding the cable so the IEMs can fold and fit into the case. Plus it makes it easier to put them back on as they aren't all tangled.

post #88 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNoyd View Post
 

I use the supplied Westone case. I have a system of winding the cable so the IEMs can fold and fit into the case. Plus it makes it easier to put them back on as they aren't all tangled.

 

Wrapping them around three fingers, right? ;)

post #89 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Wrapping them around three fingers, right? ;)


haha i think thats what we all do,i do that too!

you can tell us 'audioheads' apart cos we wrap

most people just stuff the cables in XD

post #90 of 633

Then where do you keep your player and amp if you use one?  That's what I'm asking?  Do you carry 3 different cases around?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: