New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New WESTONE W-SERIES - Page 35

post #511 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

djayyy - Have you tried the slicone tips?   They seem to really help the treble without any harshness.

 

Hi Spyro, I have tried the silicone ones which came with the W40's however I seem to lose some of the bass detail, maybe the seal is not as good. I will try them again later as they are at home and i'm in the office. However my Fiio E6 has turned up and i'm very impressed the difference that has made as well!

post #512 of 603

I was looking at Westones, until the overkill of choices completely turned me off their brand.  How many freaking IEM models do they have?  

post #513 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker111 View Post
 

I was looking at Westones, until the overkill of choices completely turned me off their brand.  How many freaking IEM models do they have?  

 

Your loss... This is how it goes:

 

W series: made for pure music, feature from 1 to 6 drivers, the only model line you need to look at really, the most musical line...

UM series: made for stage monitoring, from 1 to 5 drivers, lack large sound stage in order to make voices and instruments easy to hear for musicians. 

Custom series: need to get an ear impression for custom molded iems, from 1 to 6 drivers, usually very neutral.

Adventure series: built for being very durable, only feature 1 driver so audio fidelity is entry level, choice of BA or Dynamic driver.


Edited by T.R.A.N.C.E. - 5/21/14 at 7:16am
post #514 of 603

I can see how someone can be overwhelmed though.  Even the customs have the AC line or the ES line, plus I think Westone is unique having the UM and the W's running parallel kinda... also the alpha series is only Dynamic...  Overall might be a good thing so someone can get exactly the sound they want... but they def have a lot of choices... 

post #515 of 603

I want to share my feelings with W40s here. When I first got them, I thought they sound really dull or muffled compared to my IE80s. But as I put them on for more and more hours, the treble became slightly more clear, and meanwhile, my brain seems to have adapted to their sound signature. Their bass is not as tight as the IE80, but somehow I find myself appreciate that bit of 'looseness' in the bass section. I can't accurately describe it, but it just feels more comfortable. And the mids are a little more full-bodied, perhaps more musical. 

In comparison, IE80s seem to be more cold sounding and analytical (not exactly a bad thing). Soundstage is still the strength of the Sennheiser. But I find myself using the W40s more and more because their sound are more comfortable. 

Hell, these W40s seem to be altering my taste for tonal balance... I think I was a treble-head to some degree, but now I find that even the HE-5LEs seem a little bit too bright... It's making me want to get the HE-500s. 

post #516 of 603
I'm looking into buying the westone w20's. I can get them for £135.
I mainly listen to heavy dance music and light classical music. I am not a bass lover.
On the other hand I can get the shure se425's for around £170.
Can anyone advise me on which to buy or if a different pair altogether would suit my needs.
Thanks a lot.
post #517 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehpo View Post

I'm looking into buying the westone w20's. I can get them for £135.
I mainly listen to heavy dance music and light classical music. I am not a bass lover.
On the other hand I can get the shure se425's for around £170.
Can anyone advise me on which to buy or if a different pair altogether would suit my needs.
Thanks a lot.

I have the 425 and they are pretty good (read the reviews)  but let me warn you about the wire.  It sucks..  totally takes away from the music.  You'll be fighting the thick wire all day.  If you plan on getting a 3rd party replacement then get the 425.   I can't comment on W20.  

post #518 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfs2010 View Post

I have the 425 and they are pretty good (read the reviews)  but let me warn you about the wire.  It sucks..  totally takes away from the music.  You'll be fighting the thick wire all day.  If you plan on getting a 3rd party replacement then get the 425.   I can't comment on W20.  
Thanks for that.
Can anyone comment on the w20's wire?
post #519 of 603

It seems that W20 has the same cable as W40, which is very nice. It is quite flexible without self-entangling, lightweight and non-microphonic. 

post #520 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehpo View Post


Thanks for that.
Can anyone comment on the w20's wire?

 

W-series cables are pretty good, you get audio only twisted cable and another with iControls (works on Android as well, except volume).  But in general, all these W-series, SE-series, and a dozen of others use the same universal MMCX connector so you can get a lot of choices for replacement.  I'm using $30 silver-plated one from FiiO guys on my W40, high quality and sound improvement.

post #521 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehpo View Post

I'm looking into buying the westone w20's. I can get them for £135.
I mainly listen to heavy dance music and light classical music. I am not a bass lover.
On the other hand I can get the shure se425's for around £170.
Can anyone advise me on which to buy or if a different pair altogether would suit my needs.
Thanks a lot.


Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/630007/westone-2-vs-um2-vs-se425

post #522 of 603

Has anyone posted a review about the W30? I've never had earphones before, but the W30 looks to be a great modern upgrade from my HD25-1 IIs. For earphones, I've considered UE900 (bad quality control), W4R (can't find new), IE80 (not enough isolation), ER4s (uncomfortable), and much much more. The W30s seem to slot into the correct price bracket and I'd probably pull the trigger if I knew more about them. 

post #523 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex24-7 View Post

Has anyone posted a review about the W30? I've never had earphones before, but the W30 looks to be a great modern upgrade from my HD25-1 IIs. For earphones, I've considered UE900 (bad quality control), W4R (can't find new), IE80 (not enough isolation), ER4s (uncomfortable), and much much more. The W30s seem to slot into the correct price bracket and I'd probably pull the trigger if I knew more about them. 

The w40s are only $100 more. I say go for those. There tons of impressions and reviews. They are extremely comfortable and sound great.
post #524 of 603
"Only" $100 more
post #525 of 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

"Only" $100 more


:):)

 

This is headfi after all!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: