or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New WESTONE W-SERIES - Page 33

post #481 of 1121
And wow, yeah, UE has clearly gone downhill. I have lusted after the UERM for over a year, but no way in hell will I ever purchase anything from a company that does that, regardless of whether or not the issues might carry over to their customs. Hope they get the right person in charge and make a turnaround.
post #482 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

And wow, yeah, UE has clearly gone downhill. I have lusted after the UERM for over a year, but no way in hell will I ever purchase anything from a company that does that, regardless of whether or not the issues might carry over to their customs. Hope they get the right person in charge and make a turnaround.

 

The UE customs lab is separated from their mainstream consumer product wing and the main failings of UE lie in their mainstream consumer products.

 

My customer service experience with UE has been top-notch and the built quality for the UERM is exceptional. You can check through the UERM thread for similar positive accounts.

 

Comparing UE's CIEMs and UIEMs, it is as if they are made by two totally different companies.

 

If you are concerned about the built-quality of the new W-series, why not just get another W3? 

post #483 of 1121

I was disappointed that Westone customer service first told me to return 'seamed' W40s after supplying pictures, then later, when I asked for absolute confirmation (having seen suppliers explanation here) before posting off, they said they were fine. If I hadn't read this thread, I probably wouldn't have even noticed but best cleared up for peace of mind. Obviously not all singing from same hymn sheet at HQ.

 

But the fact remains, I am loving my W40s, they sound great, and this was soon forgotten.

post #484 of 1121
Notice I said I won't buy UERMs from UE on principle, knowing their shady business practices; I don't particularly care whether it would effect my purchase or not. They are obviously doing something wrong with the UE900 and they know it, if they are decreasing the warranty on a product with known issues. I refuse to buy anything from a company with that mentality, unless they make a turnaround.

I won't buy the W3 again because I had some fit issues and refuse to buy anything over $100 that doesn't have a replaceable cable. Also I was hoping for some minor improvements in sound with the W30, as have been reported about the W40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

The UE customs lab is separated from their mainstream consumer product wing and the main failings of UE lie in their mainstream consumer products.

My customer service experience with UE has been top-notch and the built quality for the UERM is exceptional. You can check through the UERM thread for similar positive accounts.

Comparing UE's CIEMs and UIEMs, it is as if they are made by two totally different companies.

If you are concerned about the built-quality of the new W-series, why not just get another W3? 
post #485 of 1121
But don't you see, for a $500 pair of damn EARPHONES, that have Wolf-of-Wall-Street profit margins, there shouldn't be a single flaw on ANY of them, let alone a serious manufacturing inconsistency of this magnitude, and they should use nothing but the absolute highest quality materials. I wouldn't DREAM of spending that kind of money on a flawed product. But hey, its your money, and if you don't demand excellence from $500 earphones, that's your loss; it's everyone else's now, though, because the fact that people like you will put up with this BS is the reason Westone will get away with it. Saying you don't care because they sound great is the same kind of mentality Americans have towards their government issues: 99% of them just don't care, because they have TV and smartphones and plenty of other shiny things to distract them. If that's the kind of world you want to live in, well, I hope there are enough people who think another way to make a difference.

I know you will all think this overdramatic, but I hope you at least think about what I'm saying, just for a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH13 View Post

I was disappointed that Westone customer service first told me to return 'seamed' W40s after supplying pictures, then later, when I asked for absolute confirmation (having seen suppliers explanation here) before posting off, they said they were fine. If I hadn't read this thread, I probably wouldn't have even noticed but best cleared up for peace of mind. Obviously not all singing from same hymn sheet at HQ.

But the fact remains, I am loving my W40s, they sound great, and this was soon forgotten.

Edited by Gilly87 - 5/18/14 at 9:02am
post #486 of 1121
I think you are confused. As far as we know and there is no evidence against this, there is no manufacturing problem at all!
post #487 of 1121
Yeah but there are inconsistencies, which should make you concerned about longevity, and the fact that their build materials have degraded alone is enough to keep me away. The whole Amazon business is just icing on the cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH13 View Post

I think you are confused. As far as we know and there is no evidence against this, there is no manufacturing problem at all!
post #488 of 1121

Oh, I knew that Obamacare will drag down headphone business! :D

 

But in all seriousness, in terms of pricing their products I'm not disappointed in Westone, Shure, Senns, Beyer, Audio-Technica but rather in companies like Dunu, HiFiMAN, Astrotec, SoundMagic, etc.  You know it's all business, and pricing is driven by supply and demand.  Big name companies already established themselves with a high reputation for which we expected to pay premium.  Now, here comes small Chinese manufacturers which can deliver an equally great or close to great products.  Some of their early releases had budget prices, but once they went into a top tear design, they don't want people to think they are selling "budget" products so they price their products high to be taken more seriously.  That will drive premium brands to raise their price as well, and so.  Dunu DN-2k for over $300 or Astrotec AX-60 for $300 or HiFiMAN RE-600 for $400?  Next to these, W40 quad BA driver for $500 with RC doesn't look too bad ;)

post #489 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah but there are inconsistencies, which should make you concerned about longevity, and the fact that their build materials have degraded alone is enough to keep me away. The whole Amazon business is just icing on the cake.

They have a 2 year warranty which is better than the vast majority of other manufacturers.  And I'm not sure how/why you think their build materials have degraded;  I may be wrong but I see no sources complaining about their casings coming apart or anything (the W series at least, I think some were having issues with their UM50s though).  The whole deal with the offset slit was overblown and resolved.

 

As for amazon, I don't really see how that's westone's fault... I agree that it sucks and I know I almost fell into that trap with a dragonfly dac that shipped via amazon prime but wasn't actually sold by amazon (thankfully the seller was still a authorized dealer), however I don't think you can either make westone agree to provide warranty on any seller or make amazon only sell authorized products.

 

I'm pretty new here and haven't owned that many headphones/iems so I can't speak to the current/previous trends in products but I feel the outrage and backlash is somewhat overblown.  Coming from the Westone 3 to the W40 I purchased last week I have no complaints.  I actually think the W40 is more sturdy and better built than the W3.  To me the sound itself justifies the extra price not to mention the included accessories (extra iphone cable has been extremely useful for me).

 

Anywho... rant over.

 

Earphone solutions has a review up on the W60 so I assume this means at least some samples have been released?  Has anyone demoed them or heard them yet?

post #490 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

"The bottom line is fine?" *snicker*

They're in this business to make money, just like everyone else. If they can find a way to make more, they will. Companies do this to themselves all the time; Westone is not the fairy godmother of good will, nor the unshakeable monolith of business ethics.

LOL......still laughing.....Gilly.....seems you are pretty new to this hobby.   Again.....trust me....Westone really is a leader in this industry....it's really no b.s..  I can only go by the quality records.

 

And you are wrong.  Seriously....are you really in sales?  There are so many industries where the margins are SO TIGHT and the importance of customer service is SO HIGH...that to just cut quality or customer service to make more money is PURE DEATH.   I don't see an industry leader doing that ever.  As mentioned above seems you have a grudge against Westone.

post #491 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Notice I said I won't buy UERMs from UE on principle, knowing their shady business practices; I don't particularly care whether it would effect my purchase or not. They are obviously doing something wrong with the UE900 and they know it, if they are decreasing the warranty on a product with known issues. I refuse to buy anything from a company with that mentality, unless they make a turnaround.
 

 

Lol.

 

I will agree with you only if UE is a small family run business whereby the family's decision directly affect business practices.


Edited by uelover - 5/18/14 at 5:00pm
post #492 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

Lol.

I will agree with you only if UE is a small family run business whereby the family's decision directly affect business practices.
Anyway are you by any chance on hwz too?

Damn the internet, got poisoned by the UE IERM..
post #493 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachBot View Post


Anyway are you by any chance on hwz too?

Damn the internet, got poisoned by the UE IERM..

 

I am registered on HWZ but I don't really post there.

 

Won't go wrong with UERM :regular_smile :

post #494 of 1121
That doesn't make Westone's pricing better, it just means those companies responded to Westone and Shure and Sennheiser jacking up prices in the first place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post

Oh, I knew that Obamacare will drag down headphone business! biggrin.gif

But in all seriousness, in terms of pricing their products I'm not disappointed in Westone, Shure, Senns, Beyer, Audio-Technica but rather in companies like Dunu, HiFiMAN, Astrotec, SoundMagic, etc.  You know it's all business, and pricing is driven by supply and demand.  Big name companies already established themselves with a high reputation for which we expected to pay premium.  Now, here comes small Chinese manufacturers which can deliver an equally great or close to great products.  Some of their early releases had budget prices, but once they went into a top tear design, they don't want people to think they are selling "budget" products so they price their products high to be taken more seriously.  That will drive premium brands to raise their price as well, and so.  Dunu DN-2k for over $300 or Astrotec AX-60 for $300 or HiFiMAN RE-600 for $400?  Next to these, W40 quad BA driver for $500 with RC doesn't look too bad wink.gif
post #495 of 1121
I don't have a grudge against Westone in any way; I have no reason to.

If you want an example, look at Samsung. Most Samsung products I ever had were top notch; I still own a Samsung TV I bought in the 90s. But I'll be damned if I buy a Galaxy; while Samsungs account for probably about 60-70% of Android smartphone sales that I've handled, the defect rate is so insanely high that I wouldn't dream of throwing away $700+ on their trash. I've seen whole batches of defective Galaxy phones have to be returned, multiple times; that NEVER happens with the other companies.

The fact is, people buy trash if its marketed to them properly. I doubt Westones margins are slim; they sell balanced armatures that can be purchased for a few bucks a pop in plastic shells that cost pennies to make, and stick insane price tags on it.

Anyways, I'm not saying Westone is super evil or anything, which is what a few of you seem to be thinking; I just think its a shame that they seem to be trending towards worse quality and support, instead of better, and that is reason enough for me to not buy their product. I do wish more people had higher standards for $500 earphones, because if you all did, we'd probably all wind up with a higher quality product.

As far as what I would expect from $500+ earphones, well, my next planned purchase is the Fischer Amps FA4, just a smidge more expensive than the W40 but said to rival mid-tier customs and more expensive products like the K3003 in SQ, and I haven't read a single complaint about their build quality or materials yet. That's the kind of quality and security I expect if I'm spending $500 on earphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

LOL......still laughing.....Gilly.....seems you are pretty new to this hobby.   Again.....trust me....Westone really is a leader in this industry....it's really no b.s..  I can only go by the quality records.

And you are wrong.  Seriously....are you really in sales?  There are so many industries where the margins are SO TIGHT and the importance of customer service is SO HIGH...that to just cut quality or customer service to make more money is PURE DEATH.   I don't see an industry leader doing that ever.  As mentioned above seems you have a grudge against Westone.

Edited by Gilly87 - 5/19/14 at 6:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: