or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New WESTONE W-SERIES - Page 12

post #166 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyberry View Post
 


really? i never noticed...could you elaborate why? im just curious haha

 

I'm talking about professional audio equipment, like desktop amps or dacs you sit infront of, where it's more convenient to have a straight plug with thicker cables connected to the front panel of the equipment.  Or when you are working with a portable mixer or a pro mixing board where you have a number of cables plugged next to each other and there is no room for angled connector either.  Or imagine using a portable DAP like X5 where you want to keep it in your pocket - it's not going to be convenient stuffing your pocket with a thicker quality cable and L-shaped connector with cables wrapped around it versus a clean straight connector plug with a decent tension relief coming straight out of your pocket without any mess.  Do you see my point?

post #167 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

I'm talking about professional audio equipment, like desktop amps or dacs you sit infront of, where it's more convenient to have a straight plug with thicker cables connected to the front panel of the equipment.  Or when you are working with a portable mixer or a pro mixing board where you have a number of cables plugged next to each other and there is no room for angled connector either.  Or imagine using a portable DAP like X5 where you want to keep it in your pocket - it's not going to be convenient stuffing your pocket with a thicker quality cable and L-shaped connector with cables wrapped around it versus a clean straight connector plug with a decent tension relief coming straight out of your pocket without any mess.  Do you see my point?


oooh right never thought of that, thanks :)

post #168 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozst View Post


I bought the w40 for the same reason, I sold the w4r and got these for 60eur so it was a good deal.

I really hate the cables without the earhook, is really annoying as the cable is constantly jumping out of my ear, so I'm thinking about taking the ue900 one but as far as I saw the hook is fixed, not like in the w4r so you can't adapt the shape.

By the way, I had a disturbing email from westone.

yry5y3u2.jpg



Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Got my W40's today and the first thing I am noticing is it seems bassier than the previous W4R.  Gonna let it play all night on a cd loop to see if I notice any other changes.

post #169 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Got my W40's today and the first thing I am noticing is it seems bassier than the previous W4R.  Gonna let it play all night on a cd loop to see if I notice any other changes.

Yes, that´s true. But you will see that the bass is much rich and detailed. 

 

The sound doesn´t change in time, just give your brain some time to get used to it.

post #170 of 1121

While I haven't heard the W4R in 3 months I am very familiar with it having owned it for about 6 months total.

 

I am 100% certain the W40 has more bass than the W4R.  I would put $50 down on a bet. It is very possible all the same drivers but perhaps one of the bass drivers was tuned to add 3-6 dB?   The soundstage, the slight "veil", the terrific treble extension and transparency is all still there the same as W4R to my ears but I swear there is a heavier bass emphasis.  That's the main thing and maybe the housing change does something else but I cant tell.

 

As I waited for the W40 to arrive I have been listening to my JH5's which are anything but bass light.  I remember previous when I went to W4R there was an adjustment with "lesser but better" bass response.  With W40 there is ZERO adjustment period except perhaps JH5 is "brighter" sounding where W40 is warm and slightly dark.

 

If you can find them in the $400 range I am very convinced they may be the best IEM out there at that price.  An "all-arounder" in every sense.    It might be personal preference but easily the best midrange of anything I have stuck in my ears.  Just like W4R, not overly forward but VERY present....perhaps it is the amazing detail and transparency.  Swear to God I would take these over the JH13's I owned.  More musical....more lush...with still tons of detail..  Anyone that would be bored with W40 might have hearing problems.  Maybe best option of "balanced and fun" of any universal IEM out there.   And no....I haven't heard them all.  :regular_smile : 


Edited by Spyro - 3/2/14 at 4:10pm
post #171 of 1121

Absolutely agree with your review and totally share your excitement :)  Yes, they are pricey, but IMHO worth every penny.  I never had a chance to listen to W4R, but I absolutely love both bass quantity and quality in these.  And again, don't want to sound like a broken record since I mentioned this before, if you have RC-SE1 cables - try it out to see how you can make it sound even better.

post #172 of 1121
W30, wtf???
post #173 of 1121

Should be coming soon. Stay tuned.

post #174 of 1121
Also agree, at least comparing the W40 to the W4 (don't have the 4R), bass better, soundstage wider, quieter between notes, detail great, stage closer than W4 (something like the W4 slightly back presentation a bit better, but that;s the only thing I can remotely score for the W4)
post #175 of 1121

Oh btw, anyone heard the W10?

post #176 of 1121

Doctorjazz - Yes, W40 seems "closer" .  I wasn't gonna say anything cause I wasn't sure but since you mentioned it.   Not sure I prefer it "closer"....I like big, vast...open....but it is a difference.  Still shocked Westone choses not to report these changes.  Just glad the "overall" seems a better product not worse.

 

Gilley87 - Send a message to Earphone Solutions at info@fmasolutions.com   Adriana there told me the biggest improvements among all W-series IEMs were in the W10 and W20.  Supposedly like night and day compared to W1 and W2.

post #177 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

 

Gilley87 - Send a message to Earphone Solutions at info@fmasolutions.com   Adriana there told me the biggest improvements among all W-series IEMs were in the W10 and W20.  Supposedly like night and day compared to W1 and W2.

 

I always thought the W2 had a lot of potential. I bet the W20 could be a great all rounder depending on how they tuned it. I'd be curious to hear the differences. 

post #178 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Doctorjazz - Yes, W40 seems "closer" .  I wasn't gonna say anything cause I wasn't sure but since you mentioned it.   Not sure I prefer it "closer"....I like big, vast...open....but it is a difference.  Still shocked Westone choses not to report these changes.  Just glad the "overall" seems a better product not worse.

Gilley87 - Send a message to Earphone Solutions at info@fmasolutions.com   Adriana there told me the biggest improvements among all W-series IEMs were in the W10 and W20.  Supposedly like night and day compared to W1 and W2.

It's the only thing I'd say I'd score to the W4, that "perspective", does feel a bit like sitting in the first row or 2 on the W40. I'd still say the other differences are marked enough to make it an easy call that the W40 is better than the W4-at least. I like it better...really seems a top tier ism (but haven't listened to others to make definitive statements here(.
post #179 of 1121

If you really like the W4R but wish it had a little more bass, get the W40.  Total no brainer.

post #180 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

If you really like the W4R but wish it had a little more bass, get the W40.  Total no brainer.

!+ beerchug.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: