Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Searching for my first high quality headphones and need some help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Searching for my first high quality headphones and need some help - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

The q701s really don't sound any warmer than k701s, they might if you compare them to eachother but in the big picture they sound the same compared to the sound signatures of different cans. The 598 is great for the price, I only had 15 or so minutes with it but especially if this will be your first quality headphone,I doubt it will disappoint you. The 598 will benefit a little from an amp (but not nearly as much as 701s) but a fiio e17 would do good for the 598, it's a amp and dac so you get a higher quality source as well plus it can be used on the go.

 

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the E17? The 598 may just be my first high quality headphone. 

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkl View Post
 

 

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the E17? The 598 may just be my first high quality headphone. 

 

E7 will be okay too, I have it and it sounds better than onboard dacs in most computers/phones but the dac in the e17 is much better than that in the E7

post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

The q701s really don't sound any warmer than k701s, they might if you compare them to eachother but in the big picture they sound the same compared to the sound signatures of different cans. The 598 is great for the price, I only had 15 or so minutes with it but especially if this will be your first quality headphone,I doubt it will disappoint you. The 598 will benefit a little from an amp (but not nearly as much as 701s) but a fiio e17 would do good for the 598, it's a amp and dac so you get a higher quality source as well plus it can be used on the go.

 

Sorry, just ignore this post. I'm not really sure how to delete posts.


Edited by parkl - 9/29/13 at 2:36pm
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

The q701s really don't sound any warmer than k701s, they might if you compare them to eachother but in the big picture they sound the same compared to the sound signatures of different cans. The 598 is great for the price, I only had 15 or so minutes with it but especially if this will be your first quality headphone,I doubt it will disappoint you. The 598 will benefit a little from an amp (but not nearly as much as 701s) but a fiio e17 would do good for the 598, it's a amp and dac so you get a higher quality source as well plus it can be used on the go.

 

Ignore this post too. I posted it thinking that I the post I made hadn't gotten through, so I posted again.

 

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the E17? Also, where can I try on some of these headphones? 


Edited by parkl - 9/29/13 at 2:37pm
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

 

E7 will be okay too, I have it and it sounds better than onboard dacs in most computers/phones but the dac in the e17 is much better than that in the E7

 

Thanks! Will I notice a big difference amped vs unamped if the sound is coming from my phone? 

 

And where can I go to try some of these headphones on?

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkl View Post
 

 

Thanks! Will I notice a big difference amped vs unamped if the sound is coming from my phone? 

 

And where can I go to try some of these headphones on?

 

Not sure where you would be able to audition headphones.  There are audio stores that let you wear headphones, I have no idea if there are any brick and mortar stores near you but you can always just order online, try them for a couple days, and if you don't like them return them.  

 

I would get just the 598s first and try them with out any dedicated amp, they will still sound pretty good straight out of a phone.  If you want a little more after a while then you can order an amp, it will be easier to appreciate the difference in quality after you're used the the headphones for a while.

post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

 

Not sure where you would be able to audition headphones.  There are audio stores that let you wear headphones, I have no idea if there are any brick and mortar stores near you but you can always just order online, try them for a couple days, and if you don't like them return them.  

 

I would get just the 598s first and try them with out any dedicated amp, they will still sound pretty good straight out of a phone.  If you want a little more after a while then you can order an amp, it will be easier to appreciate the difference in quality after you're used the the headphones for a while.

 

That sounds like a good plan. 

 

If I were to get an amp, would I also need a DAC? 

post #23 of 24

both the E17 and E7 have a amp and dac in them. so when you listen to music off of your computer you can plug the fiio into an usb port and use the device as an amp and DAC.  Not sure what phone you have but with most new android phones you can use an OTG cable to do the same, and if you have an iphone an lod cable will let you use it as an amp with external volume control.

post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 

Alright thanks. I am now seeing the HD598's for 200 dollars, and that seems like a steal to me, but I've also been looking at the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm. Do you know anything about those? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Searching for my first high quality headphones and need some help