or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End CIEM/IEM Thread! - Page 7

post #91 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Wow! 

I'll definitely give the Studio V a try when the 1plus2 gets to me on Tuesday (hopefully). 

 

If you can I suggest giving the Rocoo BA a try if you can find one. With the gold cable the 1Plus2 becomes too clinical for my liking on the Studio 3rd ANV. If you were to use the original silver cable though it would pair extremely well then on the 3rd ANV. But I think the Rocoo BA with the mod I mentioned above would pair very well. In fact I'm gonna give them a listen and chime back in.

post #92 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

If you can I suggest giving the Rocoo BA a try if you can find one. With the gold cable the 1Plus2 becomes too clinical for my liking on the Studio 3rd ANV. If you were to use the original silver cable though it would pair extremely well then on the 3rd ANV. But I think the Rocoo BA with the mod I mentioned above would pair very well. In fact I'm gonna give them a listen and chime back in.

 

The thing is I have a HDP-R10 and I'm not sure whether any DAP can be better overall. I briefly tried the normal Studio V and I couldn't even get it to play a song... 

post #93 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

 

The thing is I have a HDP-R10 and I'm not sure whether any DAP can be better overall. I briefly tried the normal Studio V and I couldn't even get it to play a song... 

 

lol I don't know why you weren't able to play music? Did you switch out the micro SD card without deleting the internal system folder? You need to delete the system folder from the internal memory every time you swap out micro SD cards. Otherwise you will have issues with playback.... Or tagging issue?

 

I sold the DX100 due to how well they paired at the time. I preferred the sound. Plus factoring in the size and battery life it was a no brainer. Trying out the Roco BA with the 1Plus2 and it also pairs very well. Overall I'm preferring the BA to the Studio. I might have to try load the Studio BA firmware on the Studio V and see if that changes my thoughts. But the Rocoo BA happens to be more versatile across the board it seems. I was lucky to score it as cheap as I did :).

post #94 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

lol I don't know why you weren't able to play music? Did you switch out the micro SD card without deleting the internal system folder? You need to delete the system folder from the internal memory every time you swap out micro SD cards. Otherwise you will have issues with playback.... Or tagging issue?

 

I sold the DX100 due to how well they paired at the time. I preferred the sound. Plus factoring in the size and battery life it was a no brainer. Trying out the Roco BA with the 1Plus2 and it also pairs very well. Overall I'm preferring the BA to the Studio. I might have to try load the Studio BA firmware on the Studio V and see if that changes my thoughts. But the Rocoo BA happens to be more versatile across the board it seems. I was lucky to score it as cheap as I did :).

 

The Studio V 3rd Anniversary is quite hard to find and demo... 

post #95 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

 

The Studio V 3rd Anniversary is quite hard to find and demo... 

 

Pm me your address....

 

You can borrow mine, and bring it back in December when you are in town.........

post #96 of 878

Alright gents I need an education.

 

Been feeling for a while now that the open headphone thing isn't working out for my reality.  I use headphones to not bother others and keep the kids from hearing my music/shows that might drop some shall we say f bombs etc.  But I still need to be able to hear them so ciems/iems seem to fill the purpose more.  Ie I can go one ear if need be pretty easily.

 

So... just how do good iems scale?  Is my rig wasted on them?  Can I get away with a slimmed down rig?  Which iems are most like the LCD-2/3?  I have a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack in right now and I actually quite like it but 8x gain into an iem that gets 116dB/1mW seems like a good way to smoke them ;)  Just to keep it interesting I also need whatever rig I go with to be able to be used as a pre for my Dynaudio and preferably a switch or built in toggle to kill the speakers when headphones are in.

 

My gut was Uber BiFrost and Asgard 2 as a single ended low gain version of the MG stack.  Kind of lost.  Haven't spent any time at all on what I imagine headphones are for most people... portable.

 

Thoughts?

post #97 of 878
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Alright gents I need an education.

 

Been feeling for a while now that the open headphone thing isn't working out for my reality.  I use headphones to not bother others and keep the kids from hearing my music/shows that might drop some shall we say f bombs etc.  But I still need to be able to hear them so ciems/iems seem to fill the purpose more.  Ie I can go one ear if need be pretty easily.

 

So... just how do good iems scale?  Is my rig wasted on them?  Can I get away with a slimmed down rig?  Which iems are most like the LCD-2/3?  I have a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack in right now and I actually quite like it but 8x gain into an iem that gets 116dB/1mW seems like a good way to smoke them ;)  Just to keep it interesting I also need whatever rig I go with to be able to be used as a pre for my Dynaudio and preferably a switch or built in toggle to kill the speakers when headphones are in.

 

My gut was Uber BiFrost and Asgard 2 as a single ended low gain version of the MG stack.  Kind of lost.  Haven't spent any time at all on what I imagine headphones are for most people... portable.

 

Thoughts?

 

IEMs... it really depends on which iem you are talking about. UERM, for example, benefits from DAC upgrade as much as most full size do. Some iems benefit from amp while some don't. I would go for iem specific or portable amps for iems as powerful amps tend to hiss or just are too powerful for iems. 

post #98 of 878

For all IEMs, even the ones with high impedance, e.g. Spiral SE5, I would advocate for low gain on any amp, between 1-1.5x. They just don't require as much voltage swing as do planars or thirsty dynamics. As kimvictor pointed out, a DAC upgrade will scale them up nicely in terms of detail, presentation, etc.

post #99 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Pm me your address....

You can borrow mine, and bring it back in December when you are in town.........
Thanks a lot Gavin!
Sent you a PM about that and the tour.
Edited by lin0003 - 10/5/13 at 9:41pm
post #100 of 878

I'm loading the Studio BA firmware on the Studio with the new file allocation and will see how that pairs. The BA firmware definitely has less gain applied to it over the dynamic firmware.

 

Edit: I updated the firmware on the Studio to the BA firmware and so far I am really liking it. BA really excels at music with good dynamic range. There is more note weight to the sound particularly after applying the new file allocation size to the internal memory. The dynamic firmware excels more at loudness wars crap music which helps to thin the notes out giving the feeling of more dynamic range and space within such tracks. Helps to balance them out IMO. But on tracks with good dynamic range this can come across as being too thin and spacious. The BA firmware is more intimate. I also turned off the BTN sound which took the mids just a bit further back and added a tad more bass to the sound. Really balances out the sound for me :). This is on the 1Plus2 BTW.


Edited by lee730 - 10/5/13 at 10:00pm
post #101 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Thanks a lot Gavin!
Sent you a PM about that and the tour.

Well received.
post #102 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post


Well received.

 

Great!

And also, are there any plans for making a smaller shell for the 1plus2? 

post #103 of 878

1Plus2 and 3rd ANV.

 

post #104 of 878

Loving the clarity in that photo Lee. :wink:

post #105 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

Loving the clarity in that photo Lee. :wink:

 

Are you being sarcastic? :bigsmile_face: Only so much I can do with my phone camera.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!