or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End CIEM/IEM Thread! - Page 26

post #376 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

This might help you: http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004668.htm

 

00039547.jpg

The columns are (from left to right): SNR, dynamic range, THD+N, IMD, Crosstalk, Gain, DAC, Extra Feature(s)

 

The tests are done in RMAA with 16/44.1 signals, so the SNR numbers won't exceed 96 dB or so.


Thank you for the help, I wish I could understand more about reading those numbers. The fact that it is not in English doesn't help much either :happy_face1:

 

If I understood correctly, it is obviously not the best around, especially compared to iDevices, but it is not a bad competitor either. Still, 24 bit playback is a misery too. I might still consider getting a standalone dap.

post #377 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Thank you for the help, I wish I could understand more about reading those numbers. The fact that it is not in English doesn't help much either :happy_face1:

 

If I understood correctly, it is obviously not the best around, especially compared to iDevices, but it is not a bad competitor either. Still, 24 bit playback is a misery too. I might still consider getting a standalone dap.

 

I can't read it either (don't like reading Simplified); just go with the column legend I gave you.

 

Specifically with regard to the 1520, it uses a Qualcomm codec DAC and a Qualcomm SRC chip. A codec DAC will not really get you to high fidelity performance, even by modest standards. You're definitely not getting enough resolution; 90.1 dB SNR translates to about 14.9 effective number of bits, which is well off 16-bits. Forget about 24-bit performance. THD+N is a little high, as is IMD. The only thing respectable is crosstalk performance.

post #378 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

I can't read it either (don't like reading Simplified); just go with the column legend I gave you.

 

Specifically with regard to the 1520, it uses a Qualcomm codec DAC and a Qualcomm SRC chip. A codec DAC will not really get you to high fidelity performance, even by modest standards. You're definitely not getting enough resolution; 90.1 dB SNR translates to about 14.9 effective number of bits, which is well off 16-bits. Forget about 24-bit performance. THD+N is a little high, as is IMD. The only thing respectable is crosstalk performance.


Ok thank you for the detailed explanation. There goes my hope to carry only one device. It is gonna be a phone + dap again :happy_face1:

post #379 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Ok thank you for the detailed explanation. There goes my hope to carry only one device. It is gonna be a phone + dap again :happy_face1:

 

Victor was right that the LG G3 is probably the best performing mainstream smartphone for audio at the moment. The TCL Idol X+ S960 has a hi-fi mode that uses its on-board ES9018K2M and MAX97220, and that gets respectable performance as well, but unless you live in China or a country that has the TCL rebranded as an Alcatel, you can't really buy it.

post #380 of 878

Just got the Audinst HUD mx2 AMP/DAC. I have to say, my Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 has little brighter highs, but this can be noticeable only on UERM. When done A/B test with Hidition NT-6, both devices sound very same to me :)

 

What is the main problem I didn't realised before - all those DAC/AMP solutions have analog volume knob. Somehow I thought it is analog but digitally controlled and the knob will be 'endless'. Similar way as the Dragonfly works. 

This is a no go for me, I'm so used to those volume up/down keys on the apple keyboards, who works so amazing with Dragonfly. Once Audinst is connected, system volume is grayed out and I have to use the knob od the device itself. So annoying... Why is that? :))

 

For now I will return back Audinst and stick with Dragonfly, which works/sounds amazingly, is superb small and utilises OSX system volume :)

 

Any other options out there? 

 

post #381 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culter View Post
 

Just got the Audinst HUD mx2 AMP/DAC. I have to say, my Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 has little brighter highs, but this can be noticeable only on UERM. When done A/B test with Hidition NT-6, both devices sound very same to me :)

 

What is the main problem I didn't realised before - all those DAC/AMP solutions have analog volume knob. Somehow I thought it is analog but digitally controlled and the knob will be 'endless'. Similar way as the Dragonfly works. 

This is a no go for me, I'm so used to those volume up/down keys on the apple keyboards, who works so amazing with Dragonfly. Once Audinst is connected, system volume is grayed out and I have to use the knob od the device itself. So annoying... Why is that? :))

 

For now I will return back Audinst and stick with Dragonfly, which works/sounds amazingly, is superb small and utilises OSX system volume :)

 

Any other options out there? 

 

Similar to the Dragonfly?

 

  • ALO The Key
  • Resonessence Herus
  • LH (Light Harmonic) Labs Geek Out
  • HRT MicroStreamer
  • Audioengine D3
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS
  • Hegel Super

 

The Herus and Geek Out will give you the "best" measured performance. Both also use on-chip hardware digital volume control that abstracts onto your OSX software volume control. The Geek Out has additional buttons on the side.

 

Unless you're willing to wait for the Geek Out 100 to release, the Geek Out 450 will be slightly too powerful for IEMs and will exhibit some hiss.

 

The Herus will also exhibit some hiss with IEMs.

 

No comment on the other models.

post #382 of 878

John, I'm gonna say this for the last time.  If you want to hear most honest output.  ODAC/O2.  If you refuse for inconvenience, it's your loss. I know what I'm hearing.  I've compared to Concero HP. HP is inflated.  I'm starting to run into inflated equipment.  I will look into Hugo next, and of course I will give my honest assessment.

post #383 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

I'm gonna say this for the last time
Thanks. I'm sure we all read your comments the first couple of times.
post #384 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Thanks. I'm sure we all read your comments the first couple of times.

Lol. Personally, and I may be in the minority, if the o2/odac is "honest output" then I don't like honest output. It didn't sound bad, just didn't prefer what it did sound like... At least with the headphones I had at that time.
post #385 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

Lol. Personally, and I may be in the minority, if the o2/odac is "honest output" then I don't like honest output. It didn't sound bad, just didn't prefer what it did sound like... At least with the headphones I had at that time.

Lol I doubt you are in the minority... wink.gif
post #386 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Lol I doubt you are in the minority... wink.gif

 

Yup the O2 products are just the latest in a long line of measurements based prosumer gear to create a hype train following.  In other news... 2004 called, they want my EMU 1212m back ;)

post #387 of 878

I think i can now safely add the Harmony 8 to this thread::beerchug:

 

 

post #388 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post

I think i can now safely add the Harmony 8 to this thread:beerchug.gif





Wow!!! How do you like them?
post #389 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
 

I think i can now safely add the Harmony 8 to this thread::beerchug:

 

 

Nice one! Their pricing looks great. How they could compare to SE5? It seems Custom Art silicone CIEMs are new addition in market to Spiral Ear in a Poland? Perhaps they cooperate somehow :)


Edited by John Culter - 6/7/14 at 11:46am
post #390 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
 

I think i can now safely add the Harmony 8 to this thread::beerchug:

 

 

we are still waiting on whoever's impressions ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!