Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End CIEM/IEM Thread! - Page 25

post #361 of 706

I'm also in a market for DAC & AMP to pair with NT6 and UERM .. but not sure why there are always two devices, instead offerings of 'all-in-one' ? .. If it means portable, I would love to see one portable device which I can use at home, or on the go without carrying a brick in my pocket. AMP and usb DAC in one case. Mostly I see it divided into separate devices. Any suggestions on having just these two integrated into one SMALL package? 

 

This one - Shozy Magic Portable USB DAC and AMP - looks pretty small (actually the smallest I found), but according to a price it looks, it can't be matched with $600 AMP and $600 DAC.

http://www.null-audio.com/collections/digital-product/products/shozy-magic-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier

 

Its form factor looks amazing.

 

Any similar products out there? If the quality goes up with the price and still there will be all-in-one device, I'm open to any suggestions :-)

post #362 of 706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culter View Post
 

I'm also in a market for DAC & AMP to pair with NT6 and UERM .. but not sure why there are always two devices, instead offerings of 'all-in-one' ? .. If it means portable, I would love to see one portable device which I can use at home, or on the go without carrying a brick in my pocket. AMP and usb DAC in one case. Mostly I see it divided into separate devices. Any suggestions on having just these two integrated into one SMALL package? 

 

This one - Shozy Magic Portable USB DAC and AMP - looks pretty small (actually the smallest I found), but according to a price it looks, it can't be matched with $600 AMP and $600 DAC.

http://www.null-audio.com/collections/digital-product/products/shozy-magic-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier

 

Its form factor looks amazing.

 

Any similar products out there? If the quality goes up with the price and still there will be all-in-one device, I'm open to any suggestions :-)

Bit bigger, but Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII is still "pretty" small and has real solid quality.

post #363 of 706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culter View Post
 

I'm also in a market for DAC & AMP to pair with NT6 and UERM .. but not sure why there are always two devices, instead offerings of 'all-in-one' ? .. If it means portable, I would love to see one portable device which I can use at home, or on the go without carrying a brick in my pocket. AMP and usb DAC in one case. Mostly I see it divided into separate devices. Any suggestions on having just these two integrated into one SMALL package? 

 

This one - Shozy Magic Portable USB DAC and AMP - looks pretty small (actually the smallest I found), but according to a price it looks, it can't be matched with $600 AMP and $600 DAC.

http://www.null-audio.com/collections/digital-product/products/shozy-magic-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier

 

Its form factor looks amazing.

 

Any similar products out there? If the quality goes up with the price and still there will be all-in-one device, I'm open to any suggestions :-)

Oh, although it's not the greatest in terms of SQ, there is the AK10. It has amazing form factor with pretty good SQ.

post #364 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

Oh, although it's not the greatest in terms of SQ, there is the AK10. It has amazing form factor with pretty good SQ.

KV, what sources do you like to use?  Which you think sounds the best?

post #365 of 706

Majority of those all-in-one battery powered AMP/DACs are similar priced, any recommendation which one stands out? Perhaps the market with high end portable players - do some of them serve also as AMP + DAC? (FIIO X5? But it looks like it is just a DAC and it is meant to be used with another connected AMP)
I personally like the ADL X1, but the FiiO E18 should be for its price a good choice.
Chord Hugo seems to be the category winner, but it looks like there is no other way to charge it, than to carry separate battery charger instead of charging it through USB.
I don’t look for any connection with iDevice or Android. I just need the superb portable USB powered DAC/AMP for my Macbook Pro.


£1,400 Chord Hugo
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

£785 Resonessence Concero HP
http://resonessencelabs.com/concero/

£485 ADL X1
http://www.adl-av.com/products/headphone_amplifiers/x1/

$285 iBasso D12 Anaconda
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=63

$279 Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII + ADA 4627
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

$399 Leckerton UHA 760
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha760

$249 JDS C5D
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

$159 FiiO E18
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002

post #366 of 706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

KV, what sources do you like to use?  Which you think sounds the best?

I personally just use an ipod Nano, as it suffices my demands. To be honest, AK10 cuts it for me. It has a comparable SQ to AK100, which is pretty damn good. However, I do think that UHA-6S.MKII are better overall(in terms of SQ).

post #367 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

I personally just use an ipod Nano, as it suffices my demands. To be honest, AK10 cuts it for me. It has a comparable SQ to AK100, which is pretty damn good. However, I do think that UHA-6S.MKII are better overall(in terms of SQ).

Anyway, you're not missing much.  I got my DX90 and X5, and they didn't wow me as much as I was hoping for.  I was curious on the Leckerton, I'm curious if its worth a try.  

 

Everytime I try a new DAP, I keep going back to ODAC/O2 combo as it sounds the most detailed and transparent to my ears.  Possibly Concero HP that is coming in will make a difference.  Of course, the NT6 maybe what I am looking for interms of a significant upgrade in sound.  It appears that DAPs do not upgrade that much or It's really not signicant enough to really notice it.

post #368 of 706
John, two words for you.  ODAC/O2.  Get back to me after this rediculous combo.  I'm listening to it now.  I was like WTF, this sounds real.  It so detailed, clear, and natural.  
post #369 of 706
Thread Starter 

Oh, for fellow IEM users that uses their phones as DAPs: go for the LG G3! 0.6 output impedance, overall excellent RMAA test(http://www.playwares.com/xe/42190331). Probably the best android DAP available yet. It even has native 24bit support, which is unusual for an Android. Anyways, I just got mine yesterday :)

post #370 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post  Oh, for fellow IEM users that uses their phones as DAPs: go for the LG G3! 0.6 output impedance, overall excellent RMAA test(http://www.playwares.com/xe/42190331). Probably the best android DAP available yet. It even has native 24bit support, which is unusual for an Android. Anyways, I just got mine yesterday :)

 

I trust the test results of a DSIII a bit more than RMAA and a load voltage drop test for OI...

http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=412

 

Measurements are still good, but not as good as an iPhone's.

post #371 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culter View Post
 

Majority of those all-in-one battery powered AMP/DACs are similar priced, any recommendation which one stands out? Perhaps the market with high end portable players - do some of them serve also as AMP + DAC? (FIIO X5? But it looks like it is just a DAC and it is meant to be used with another connected AMP)
I personally like the ADL X1, but the FiiO E18 should be for its price a good choice.
Chord Hugo seems to be the category winner, but it looks like there is no other way to charge it, than to carry separate battery charger instead of charging it through USB.
I don’t look for any connection with iDevice or Android. I just need the superb portable USB powered DAC/AMP for my Macbook Pro.


£1,400 Chord Hugo

£785 Resonessence Concero HP

£485 ADL X1

$285 iBasso D12 Anaconda

$279 Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII + ADA 4627

$399 Leckerton UHA 760

$249 JDS C5D

$159 FiiO E18

 

Out of this list, the best bang/buck product would probably be the C5D. The USB input is galvanically isolated (it'll work cleaner if you run it off battery power instead of USB bus power), and it's the lowest priced product that supports 88.2 kHz sample rates (the TE7022L mysteriously doesn't support 88.2 kHz, it's found in the E18, ODAC). JDS' jitter sideband plots are decent for the price. If you're DIY-oriented enough, you can also reprogram the volume stepping for the amplifier through Arduino SDK. The digital filter is also set to the PCM5102A's IIR apodizing filter by default rather than a linear phase FIR filter, reducing pre-ringing. Because the PCM5102A is a charge pump device for its line driver (it's a voltage output DAC, not a differential current output DAC), it needs clean power to its rails, and JDS has gone with high quality LDO regulators for its VDD and VCC supplies.

 

Side Notes:

  • I found the ADL X1 underwhelming for the price.
  • If you don't want anything beyond 16/48 support, then the UHA-6S would probably be a nice choice too, as it has a solid amp stage.
  • I have the Concero HP and I love it, but it costs $$$; also if you use IEMs exclusively, 3.5 Vrms output is a bit high (imagine using 2-10% on the Windows volume slider, max.). Oh, and it's not battery-powered, so it is tethered to USB, but it's fine because it has great power filtering.
  • Also consider the TEAC HA-P50, and its twin sister, the Onkyo DAC-HA200
  • If you can wait, wait for the Geek Out 100, which is a low-power version of the Geek Out 450/720/1000 optimized for IEMs and low-impedance high-sensitivity headphones, or the Geek Stream Kickstarter campaign, which is a device just like the ADL X1 and TEAC HA-P50, except it supports all audio rates (except DSD256/512, which no DAC except $$$$ flagship DACs support) and does BT 4.0 A2DP/Apt-X streaming from your phone.

Edited by tomscy2000 - 6/6/14 at 3:47am
post #372 of 706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

I trust the test results of a DSIII a bit more than RMAA and a load voltage drop test for OI...

http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=412

 

Measurements are still good, but not as good as an iPhone's.

Oooh. Didn't know that there was a Seeko review on the G3.

 

Anyways, it's still pretty good. Not as clean as iPhone's but I prefer it to the GS3's.

post #373 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post  Oooh. Didn't know that there was a Seeko review on the G3. Anyways, it's still pretty good. Not as clean as iPhone's but I prefer it to the GS3's.

 

It has pretty good residual noise performance (better than a DX50's for example), so it's nice and clean sounding. They did better implementing the WM5110 SoC this time around than they did with the G2. 24-bit performance is lacking though. 100 dB DNR won't cut it --- you might as well stick with 16-bit.

post #374 of 706

While we are talking about smartphones here a bit, I may have a question. Did someone try Lumia 1520 here? How is the performance?

 

Also, is there any way to play flac files with it? I couldn't see it in the specs, it plays wav but not flac I think. Another question, is 24 bit playback a simple dream?

post #375 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

While we are talking about smartphones here a bit, I may have a question. Did someone try Lumia 1520 here? How is the performance?

 

Also, is there any way to play flac files with it? I couldn't see it in the specs, it plays wav but not flac I think. Another question, is 24 bit playback a simple dream?

 

This might help you: http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004668.htm

 

00039547.jpg

The columns are (from left to right): SNR, dynamic range, THD+N, IMD, Crosstalk, Gain, DAC, Extra Feature(s)

 

The tests are done in RMAA with 16/44.1 signals, so the SNR numbers won't exceed 96 dB or so.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › High End CIEM/IEM Thread!