Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline - Page 56

post #826 of 834

Hi guys I'm hoping for some recommendations for a pair of good sealing closed back mid tier cans I have had the ATH W1000X and from a acoustic view point they are really very nice indeed the draw back for me was no matter how much I like the presentation the head wing band system they use just didn't work for me never feeling secure. 

 

Any pointers appreciated, most probably pairing with the Sex but it would be nice if they would also be ok running out of the Crack 

 

Cheers

post #827 of 834
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Hi guys I'm hoping for some recommendations for a pair of good sealing closed back mid tier cans I have had the ATH W1000X and from a acoustic view point they are really very nice indeed the draw back for me was no matter how much I like the presentation the head wing band system they use just didn't work for me never feeling secure. 

 

Any pointers appreciated, most probably pairing with the Sex but it would be nice if they would also be ok running out of the Crack 

 

Cheers

 

That's a tough one. I'd suggest the Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs, but they're not going to play well with the Crack and neither will TH-600s. Not sure what else to suggest!?

post #828 of 834
Beyerdynamic T70?
post #829 of 834

Yes the Beyer DT770 pro 250ohm version is at the top of the list at the moment having spent some time yesterday and  today researching on the forums and finding a number of Crack owners using them.  The DT770 can be found for £109 delivered new in the UK which is not to bad from a experimenting point of view and while perhaps not quiet the mid tier I had in mind what has got me intrigued is they are reported to respond very well to modifying with a good amount of how to information available. While I am loath to take apart and experiment with my Beyer T1's with the price point of the DT770's its not so intimidating.

post #830 of 834
There's an actual T70 too... That wasn't a typo for DT770 wink.gif. It's 250 ohms as well.
post #831 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

There's an actual T70 too... That wasn't a typo for DT770 wink.gif. It's 250 ohms as well.


lol :beerchug:I did think it was a typo when I posted thanks

post #832 of 834

@JamieMcC: If you do get the DT 770s, do post how they compare to the T1s. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

post #833 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by grausch View Post
 

@JamieMcC: If you do get the DT 770s, do post how they compare to the T1s. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.


Will do I ordered the DT770 today.

post #834 of 834

A brief follow up on the DT770pro 250ohm and how they compared with the T1 using the Bottlehead Crack amp

 

For £109 for a new pair of the net I have been pleasantly surprised as to the build and sonics of these closed back cans. Straight out of the box they sounded very treble accentuated and the bass was loose and bloomy.  After approximately 20hrs the treble has toned down considerably and the bass tightened up giving a more even presentation.

 

The DT770 and T1 do share a similar beyer house sound but will come as no real surprise the T1 significantly outclasses them in abilities.

 

These were the main differences with the T1 having,

 

A more even presentation and a more present and believable midrange.

A airier and more even handed presentation.

A smoother treble extension.

Much better resolution and separation (DT770 has some merging in its presentation.  The T1 can often clearly define backing singers as individuals with each singer given their own details ie a tambourine etc while with the DT770 the same singers tend to be more of a one).

Tighter faster and more controlled bass (but not as much actual bass impact as the DT770 which is fun with funk).

Much better sound staging.

 

All in all I am pretty happy with the DT770 they have filled the roll I required of them quiet admirably they seal particularly well and while not as refined as the T1 I think offer pretty good value and are enjoyable to listen with preferring them to a pair of AKG Q 701 owned earlier in the year.


Edited by JamieMcC - 9/18/14 at 9:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline