Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline - Page 15

post #211 of 944
I have dibs on the SEX once the mainline blows him away. biggrin.gif
post #212 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

The S.E.X. C4S upgrade review is done. Sorry Crack fans...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline#post_9831531

 

Thanks for the feedback Loquah on the S.E.X. + C4S its nice to know how well the sound scales along with the price. Funny enough I was reading through your build posts on the Bottlehead forum last night so great timing! I am really enjoying the Crack build and to be honest looking at the SEX I would never dream of taking on the build as a first project but that might change after I have the Crack under my belt. I do prefer the Crack in the looks department its aesthetically very pleasing and has that classic tube headphone amp look to it.  Looking on the Bottlehead SEX page I see there is also a very nice headphone stand which unfortunately its not included!

 

Enjoy your SEX


Edited by JamieMcC - 11/16/13 at 1:51pm
post #213 of 944

If it is possible, please record some important parts, some videos when building your Mainline so we can keep and view it as document, instruction to help other people like me easier to build Mainlines. I viewed the bottlehead website but look like they have not mentioned or write about the skill level requirement to build a Mainline yet.

 

Could the thousand buck Mainline compete with other expensive tube amps such as as Taboo MK III? What do you guys think? Ah too many things to buy next year :biggrin:.

post #214 of 944

A little build update, top plate completed, the only really fiddly bit was the fixing the transformer in place.

 

I just could not resist putting some tubes in place for a quick preview, I still have some work to do on the case.

 

.

 

Wiring and soldering next gulp!

post #215 of 944
Thread Starter 
Looking mighty fine!
post #216 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKnight View Post

If it is possible, please record some important parts, some videos when building your Mainline so we can keep and view it as document, instruction to help other people like me easier to build Mainlines. I viewed the bottlehead website but look like they have not mentioned or write about the skill level requirement to build a Mainline yet.

Could the thousand buck Mainline compete with other expensive tube amps such as as Taboo MK III? What do you guys think? Ah too many things to buy next year biggrin.gif .

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can do.
post #217 of 944
That carbon fiber looks gorgeous on the bell on top plate. I wounder if it will help with tube dampening..........cool.gif
post #218 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

A little build update, top plate completed, the only really fiddly bit was the fixing the transformer in place.

 

I just could not resist putting some tubes in place for a quick preview, I still have some work to do on the case.

 

 

.

 

Wiring and soldering next gulp!

 

 

Sooo purdy......  :beerchug:

post #219 of 944

The carbon fiber veneer looks very cool, I am envious. Someone mentioned CF vinyl wrap as an easy alternative, but that the panel would get too hot for it. I'm inclined to agree. However I will say that's too bad because the latest version of the vinyl (4D) has got a fairly convincing look with a diffraction pattern molded in to make the "weave" shift the reflected light like real CF does. And it's a piece of cake to apply to a flat surface. This is a fender I have vinyl wrapped for a winter motorcycle project.The vinyl might be great for a Quickie panel, which doesn't get hot at all. Or for wrapping a wood base.

 


Edited by Doc B. - 11/16/13 at 10:56pm
post #220 of 944

There is shop here in tokyo that has real carbon fiber sheets for sale in various sizes, similar in size to sheets of office paper.  I really wanted to buy one but couldn`t think of a reason to!  

Would a top plate of real cf have some benefit for one of these amps?

post #221 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post
 

The carbon fiber veneer looks very cool, I am envious. Someone mentioned CF vinyl wrap as an easy alternative, but that the panel would get too hot for it. I'm inclined to agree. However I will say that's too bad because the latest version of the vinyl (4D) has got a fairly convincing look with a diffraction pattern molded in to make the "weave" shift the reflected light like real CF does. And it's a piece of cake to apply to a flat surface. This is a fender I have vinyl wrapped for a winter motorcycle project.The vinyl might be great for a Quickie panel, which doesn't get hot at all. Or for wrapping a wood base.

 

Gosh thanks Doc that's really nice of you to say. I will post some pics and details of the build on the Bottlehead forum also once I have completed the build.

 

Great job on the fender and a nice detail having the contrasting weave direction in the centre section.

 

I guess it should go without saying that all vinyl are not created equal. Quality brands will have spec sheets and with working temperature ratings a quick look at 3M's Scotchprint 1080-M12 shows.

 

  • High temperature & water resistant
  • Install Temp: 60F to 80F (16C to 32C)
  • End Use Temp: -65F to 225F (-60C to 107C)

 

I would be wary of using an unknown brand without specs.

 

How hot does the Crack top plate get would something like this have a high enough rating?

 

It would be nice if it could be a option open to builders there are some great looking vinyl's available and as you said it is a piece of cake to apply to a flat surface.

 

http://www.tiptopsigns.com/Carbon-Fiber-Sheet-p-1-c-83.html


Edited by JamieMcC - 11/17/13 at 4:42am
post #222 of 944

Thrilled to report that my mainline is up and running as of this afternoon, and my early impressions are extremely favorable. Having sat back with my hd800's and listened through a sampling of my favorite tracks this evening (from Oscar Peterson and Jazz at the Pawnshop k2hd to Emma Kirkby and the Choir of St. Martins, and from Alison Krauss to 2Pac)  - I have to seriously applaud the team at bottlehead on their new flagship.  This amp is technically excellent and thoroughly enjoyable with every genre you can throw at it, and that is most definitely not a statement that I would make about many widely recommended "TOTL" headphone amps.  

 

To provide something a bit more concrete - here are a few preliminary impressions of what I'm hearing in reference to Pierre Fournier's brilliant performance of Bach's Cello Suites.  I've probably listened to this album a hundred times on various systems and can't ever recall hearing it sound this good.  Transients are simply effortless - so fast and clean.  Timbre is rich and lifelike, and the audible micro-detail and texture as Fournier digs deep into the strings on certain notes are absolutely amazing.  More generally, on albums across the board, bass presentation is faultless - deep, impactful, and incredibly tight.  Possibly the best I've heard from any tube amp?  Trebles are detailed and nicely extended, but never strident.  For example, I tend to prefer my crack with the anax mod in place.  But to my ears, the pairing with the mainline doesn't need it and hd800's have more air without.  

 

From a comparative standpoint, I will always love my crack (an incredible value which will soon take up residence in my office) - but for anyone who has been sitting on the fence awaiting comparisons, be assured that, at least to my ears, the mainline absolutely takes it to the next level.

post #223 of 944

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind comments I doubt the underside will turn out as Purdy as the top, but as long as it works! 

post #224 of 944

Sounds like my next move is getting a CS4 installed in my SEX amp.  I've been enjoying my SEX with my Orca speakers, STAX SR-507 and my headphone collection.  Its an awesome sounding amp and the versatility really sets it apart from most other amps on the market.  

post #225 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind comments I doubt the underside will turn out as Purdy as the top, but as long as it works! 

 

 

I'm sure it'll be plenty purdy!  :beerchug:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline