Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline - Page 13

post #181 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

 

While I do feel that DACs can make a difference, I am also of the opinion that they hit the wall of diminishing returns the fastest. The "source first" crowd has always puzzled me a bit. Why spend $1000 on a dac when you have a $100 headphone/speakers?

Well I think it's the "D" part of a DAC that hits that wall really fast, but it's the filtering afterwards. Each brand has different default filters and the "A"nalog section is where the audible differences are at. All IMO of course :tongue:

post #182 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

 

While I do feel that DACs can make a difference, I am also of the opinion that they hit the wall of diminishing returns the fastest. The "source first" crowd has always puzzled me a bit. Why spend $1000 on a dac when you have a $100 headphone/speakers?

 

Poop trickles down hill you know :p

 

I'm looking for a new DAC at the moment and can fully understand your argument, i can see how a good DAC can cost $4-500 in parts, maybe 1k fully built in a pimping chassis.  Beyond that i just dont get.

post #183 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

 

Poop trickles down hill you know :p

 

I'm looking for a new DAC at the moment and can fully understand your argument, i can see how a good DAC can cost $4-500 in parts, maybe 1k fully built in a pimping chassis.  Beyond that i just dont get.

Well you have to pay for the dude's mortgage who built it, along with his vacation to Aspen too :tongue: 

post #184 of 989
Thread Starter 

Of course, the upcoming Bottlehead DAC might bring a whole new take on the DAC scene with some DIY customisation and the like. It'll be interesting to see where it's priced...

post #185 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

Of course, the upcoming Bottlehead DAC might bring a whole new take on the DAC scene with some DIY customisation and the like. It'll be interesting to see where it's priced...

Yeah I would love to learn about analog filters and stuff, so I'm hoping it a very tweakable-friendly DAC kit.

post #186 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 


Searching the Bottlehead forum i get the impression there really is no difference between different brands, except for a post from Doc.B saying the TungSol tubes sounded slightly different, he didn't say better or worse, just different.  Some people also claim the coin base variants sounds slightly different.

 

I bought a spare set of NOS Sylvania Black Plates for mine, just because they look nice :rolleyes:

 

Alright managed to score a set of Sylvania coin base tubes so i will have a set of regular and coinbase to compare against each other.  Will update with my findings if there is any difference....

post #187 of 989

Calling all bottleheads

 

'Free Integration upgrade with the next five Reduction phono preamp kit ordered'

 

 

Sorry if i beat you to it Doc :tongue_smile: 

post #188 of 989
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post

Alright managed to score a set of Sylvania coin base tubes so i will have a set of regular and coinbase to compare against each other.  Will update with my findings if there is any difference....

Awesome. I look forward to your impressions.
post #189 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Calling all bottleheads

 

'Free Integration upgrade with the next five Reduction phono preamp kit ordered'

 

 

Sorry if i beat you to it Doc :tongue_smile: 

 

I can only encourage everyone seeking a phono preamp to have a look at the Reduction kit. I have it since june and haven't played a CD since :)

post #190 of 989
Thread Starter 

Received some matched 3S4 tubes today for my Quickie - not so much because I expected matching to be important, but because I was getting a nasty hum anytime I went anywhere near one of the 2 supplied tubes.

 

The new tubes have rendered the Quickie completely silent and I've now added it to my signal chain thusly:

 

PC --> X-Sabre DAC --> Quickie --> S.E.X. --> Beyer T1s

 

The sound is magnificent. Rich, full and smooth. Not quite as detailed as a direct connection to the S.E.X., but overall more enjoyable I think. I'd probably remove the Quickie for analytical listening, but think I favour it for general enjoyment listening. The bass is richer and the sound from the T1s is completely fatigue free.

 

As a bonus, the tubes I received are Australian made!!

 

 

 

Now if only my aluminium chassis would show up so I can take some sexy photos and formally review the mighty Quickie!

post #191 of 989

Really happy to join this thread, as I am planning a tube amp DIY session in the new year, my first ever so maybe the Crack, but really want to jump in to the Mainline. 

 

Excellent write ups on the Crack and Sex at the beginning of the thread - thanks man!    

 

Really looking forward to the Mainline review. . . . 

 

d


Edited by Dopaminer - 11/12/13 at 6:08am
post #192 of 989
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

Really happy to join this thread, as I am planning a tube amp DIY session in the new year, my first ever so maybe the Crack, but really want to jump in to the Mainline. 

 

Excellent write ups on the Crack and Sex at the beginning of the thread - thanks man!    

 

Really looking forward to the Mainline review. . . . 

 

d

 

Thanks Dopaminer. I've been a bit slow on the Quickie review too because I'm still trying to decide my exact impressions of it. It's a great bit of gear, but I'm just not sure of it's place in my particular setup...

post #193 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

Really happy to join this thread, as I am planning a tube amp DIY session in the new year, my first ever so maybe the Crack, but really want to jump in to the Mainline. 

 

Excellent write ups on the Crack and Sex at the beginning of the thread - thanks man!    

 

Really looking forward to the Mainline review. . . . 

 

d

 

The Crack is oodles of fun to build!

 

 

Oh, yeah, it sounds pretty good too!

 

:beerchug:

post #194 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

Received some matched 3S4 tubes today for my Quickie - not so much because I expected matching to be important, but because I was getting a nasty hum anytime I went anywhere near one of the 2 supplied tubes.

 

The new tubes have rendered the Quickie completely silent and I've now added it to my signal chain thusly:

 

PC --> X-Sabre DAC --> Quickie --> S.E.X. --> Beyer T1s

 

The sound is magnificent. Rich, full and smooth. Not quite as detailed as a direct connection to the S.E.X., but overall more enjoyable I think. I'd probably remove the Quickie for analytical listening, but think I favour it for general enjoyment listening. The bass is richer and the sound from the T1s is completely fatigue free.

 

As a bonus, the tubes I received are Australian made!!

 

 

 

Now if only my aluminium chassis would show up so I can take some sexy photos and formally review the mighty Quickie!

 

Louqah  that's very interesting, looking forward to reading your further impressions on the combo. I was very tempted a just after I had ordered the Crack to phone up Bottlehead and ask if they would be able to add the Quickie to the order prior to shipping.

 

Might we see your thoughts on a PC --> X-Sabre DAC --> Quickie --> Crack. --> Beyer T1s I for one would be very interested in reading your impression of the results.

post #195 of 989
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

Louqah  that's very interesting, looking forward to reading your further impressions on the combo. I was very tempted a just after I had ordered the Crack to phone up Bottlehead and ask if they would be able to add the Quickie to the order prior to shipping.

 

Might we see your thoughts on a PC --> X-Sabre DAC --> Quickie --> Crack. --> Beyer T1s I for one would be very interested in reading your impression of the results.

 

I spent more time with the Quickie today and it has an awesome midrange presentation. More treble roll-off than the S.E.X., but probably similar to the Crack (depending on tubes). It makes the midrange from the S.E.X. absolutely magical and holographic, but at the expense of a little clarity and air. What surprised me was the pairing with the Crack. I'm currently using the Crack with a straight brown base GEC 6AS7G and a Tungsram E80CC up front. I expected the smooth sound of the Crack to get smoother (too smooth) with the Quickie, but I really liked the results.

 

It's hard to clearly describe what happens. I think it defines the stage and image a bit better with the Quickie, but possibly loses a touch of space in the stage. Overall clarity and definition in the upper mids might be slightly stronger with the Quickie added too.

 

Do we need Quickies with our Bottlehead amps? Probably not. Is it a great kit that's worth the money and time to then have an extra way to tweak your system? Hell yeah! :beerchug:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline