Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output - Page 2

post #16 of 350

Can anyone confirm how much of the difference in sound quality is attributable to the new chips, and how much to iOS7?

post #17 of 350
^ unless someone can get two 5S's side by side, one running each OS, I wouldn't trust trust that kind of an assessment in the least anyway. Apple can make the same chip sound different anyway through different digital filtering at the hardware level.

Besides, if you were referring to my "impressions," I never really said anything about sound "quality," but just listed differences under the "pluses" category. There are probably minuses too. tongue.gif
post #18 of 350

That probably wouldn't be possible without some hacking, as all 5S's come with iOS7 pre-installed and there's no easy way of downgrading to iOS6. But a comparison between two 5's or 4S's would be feasible.

post #19 of 350
But then you couldn't attribute anything to the new chip. That's kind of what I'm saying: good luck getting a reasonable comparison to actually test weither it's the new chip or iOS 7.

A comparison between iOS 6 and 7 on an iPhone 5 would still be interesting, but there's no telling if there is programming to affect sound differently (or at all) when it senses the new chipset in the 5S vs the 5.
post #20 of 350

If iOS7 sounds better than iOS6 on an iPhone 4S, then logically you could say that at least part of the reason why the 5S sounds better is due to the software, and not just the new chip.

post #21 of 350

Still be enough if someone can compare iPhone 5 with iOS7 and 5S and if 5S sounds better will be because of the new chip.

post #22 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

If iOS7 sounds better than iOS6 on an iPhone 4S, then logically you could say that at least part of the reason why the 5S sounds better is due to the software, and not just the new chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post

Still be enough if someone can compare iPhone 5 with iOS7 and 5S and if 5S sounds better will be because of the new chip.

Not exactly. You'd be making a logical jump. Operating system software is design to interact with hardware, so when you load it onto the 4S, it recognizes the chip and works with it. So if Apple did program iOS 7 to alter the sound processing output when used in conjunction with the CS chip in the 4S, the instruction set for digital sound processing is very possibly set to be different when it recognizes its on a 5S and interacting with the new chip.
Edited by vwinter - 9/25/13 at 11:16am
post #23 of 350

Good point, hadn't thought of that. I assumed instruction sets would be the same across different chips.

post #24 of 350
It's possible that they are. But it's also possible that they're not lol. I'm actually pretty curious to get this 5S up and running.

Is anyone aware of a lightning cable based LOD, ie that doesn't require the 30pin adapter?
post #25 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read.  Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7.  I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.

Hi shotgunshane
I don't have Iphone 5 , I skip to buy iPhone 5 m because the SQ is below my 4 S
My IMO

After I installed IOS 7 on my 3 I Devices , iPhone 4 G , 4 S and IPad 4 , the SQ improve excellent in high clarity , mid very clean and clear , better bass impact and detail too.
Wider soundstage too , better separation
I have ordered Iphone 5 S and I am waiting until next month biggrin.gif
post #26 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

It's possible that they are. But it's also possible that they're not lol. I'm actually pretty curious to get this 5S up and running.

Is anyone aware of a lightning cable based LOD, ie that doesn't require the 30pin adapter?

 

The new iPhone 5S dock has a line out. But it's an actual dock, not a cable.

post #27 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Hi shotgunshane
I don't have Iphone 5 , I skip to buy iPhone 5 m because the SQ is below my 4 S
My IMO

After I installed IOS 7 on my 3 I Devices , iPhone 4 G , 4 S and IPad 4 , the SQ improve excellent in high clarity , mid very clean and clear , better bass impact and detail too.
Wider soundstage too , better separation
I have ordered Iphone 5 S and I am waiting until next month biggrin.gif

Thanks Rudi.

My wife will be getting a 5s soon, I'll be able to compare with my 5 at that time.
post #28 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

The new iPhone 5S dock has a line out. But it's an actual dock, not a cable.

Didn't know that, thanks!

Not exactly ideal for when I want to use the Quickstep on the go lol, but something useful nonetheless.

Someone reported that the dock doesn't work with the Apple leather 5S case. I thought that was pretty funny. Good job Apple.
post #29 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Didn't know that, thanks!

Not exactly ideal for when I want to use the Quickstep on the go lol, but something useful nonetheless.

Someone reported that the dock doesn't work with the Apple leather 5S case. I thought that was pretty funny. Good job Apple.

The docks don't work with almost all cases. But that's not the only thing that's funny about the new Apple leather 5S case. The camera hole is actually much smaller than their own design guidelines/specs. In fact, it's even smaller than some third party cases that Apple rejected... because their camera holes were too small! Good job, Apple. Plus, there are reports of the leather already wearing out in some cases.

post #30 of 350

I am really wanting to install iOS7 on my iPhone 4S if the SQ is better but what is keeping me on iOS6 is that I rely on External iPod Controls app that is only functional through Jailbreak.

 

Anyone know of an app for iPhone that allows me to use volume buttons for track skip without jailbreak?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output