Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output - Page 8

post #106 of 350

I'm filling up my 16GB fast, even with a relatively small music library. Especially since I've been replacing my 128 files with 320.

post #107 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

I'm filling up my 16GB fast, even with a relatively small music library. Especially since I've been replacing my 128 files with 320.

I made that mistake with the last 2 times. This time, I begrudgingly gave them the extra $100.
Edited by vwinter - 10/5/13 at 2:11pm
post #108 of 350

Unfortunately when it's the iPhone and not the iPod, the difference is a lot more than $100. Which is complete BS - they chip doesn't cost any more regardless of the type of device it's in.

post #109 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Unfortunately when it's the iPhone and not the iPod, the difference is a lot more than $100. Which is complete BS - they chip doesn't cost any more regardless of the type of device it's in.

?
The 32gb iphone, at least here in the US costs $100 more than the 16gb.

So I'm not exactly sure what your saying.
post #110 of 350

I went straight for 64GB which arrived yesterday. For now I can tell two things for sure. 5S has weaker amp than iPhone 4, one click weaker. 5S has higher output impedance than 4 (tested with XBA-30), how much higher cant tell, but I guess around 2-3 ohm. Otherwise the phone is great, it is a huge jump for me from 4 to 5S.

post #111 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post

I went straight for 64GB which arrived yesterday. For now I can tell two things for sure. 5S has weaker amp than iPhone 4, one click weaker. 5S has higher output impedance than 4 (tested with XBA-30), how much higher cant tell, but I guess around 2-3 ohm. Otherwise the phone is great, it is a huge jump for me from 4 to 5S.


iPhone 5 was two clicks weaker than iPhone 4S. As long as output impedance is lower than 2 it'll be fine. Fingers crossed.


Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance
post #112 of 350
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post

I went straight for 64GB which arrived yesterday. For now I can tell two things for sure. 5S has weaker amp than iPhone 4, one click weaker. 5S has higher output impedance than 4 (tested with XBA-30), how much higher cant tell, but I guess around 2-3 ohm. Otherwise the phone is great, it is a huge jump for me from 4 to 5S.

How odd! I'm finding the opposite. My experience is that the 5S is about one to two clicks more powerful than my 4 was.

And, regardless of max volume (which I never go near) more importantly for me is that it drives my Grado SR-225's significantly better than my 4 did. So well in fact that I'm going to hold off on purchasing Ety ER4's for a bit.

As for storage it's worthwhile to note that:

1. Flash memory is built right into the board because that is faster with lower latency.

2. Because of 1 storage is a BtO option and very few people go for the higher capacity iPhones so Apple puts a premium on them. Same for rMBP RAM and SSD BtO options.

It's annoying to pay $200 extra for 64GB to be sure but most people aren't audiophiles and most people don't want or need to put thousands of songs onto their phones. So being a monority often means paying extra.
Edited by _js_ - 10/6/13 at 10:01am
post #113 of 350
Yeah but for the average iPhone user, the camera and video recorder are big selling features. Shooting video will eat up the gb's. My wife could care less about music quality but shoots tons of video and snaps tons of pics. I'm constantly transferring and backing up her stuff on a 32gb model.

I figure the iPhone 6 is when we'll see the 32gb model become the bass model.
post #114 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Yeah but for the average iPhone user, the camera and video recorder are big selling features. Shooting video will eat up the gb's. My wife could care less about music quality but shoots tons of video and snaps tons of pics. I'm constantly transferring and backing up her stuff on a 32gb model.

I figure the iPhone 6 is when we'll see the 32gb model become the bass model.

Yeah, I suspect you're right, although it's ridiculous how many people keep ALL of their pictures and videos on the camera roll--as if that's where they belong permanently! LOL!

But yes, in this day and age 16GB is not acceptable. Period. Entry model should be 32GB.
post #115 of 350

Here is one estimate of the costs of the various memory sizes:

 

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Groundbreaking-iPhone5s-Carries-199-BOM-and-Manufacturing-Cost-IHS-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

 

IMO, the memory thing is just a dumb choice by Apple. They seem to think they are forcing their own customers to pay up to get more memory, and keeping their margins up. But the other side of the coin is the multitudes who see this crap and just say F-U Apple and go elsewhere. Maybe someday they will learn.

post #116 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroninkjet View Post

Here is one estimate of the costs of the various memory sizes:

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Groundbreaking-iPhone5s-Carries-199-BOM-and-Manufacturing-Cost-IHS-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

IMO, the memory thing is just a dumb choice by Apple. They seem to think they are forcing their own customers to pay up to get more memory, and keeping their margins up. But the other side of the coin is the multitudes who see this crap and just say F-U Apple and go elsewhere. Maybe someday they will learn.

Nope. Not going to happen.

Apple isn't going to "learn" any kind of "lesson" here. First because there aren't multitudes who say "F-U" to Apple. Looking online, you'd think that every product launch was an epic fail and that so many people were so disgusted that sales would be poor.

It pretty much never happens.

Apple makes products that are so well designed and vertically integrated and wonderfully easy to use that they can get away with charging a premium. Few people who are in the Apple ecosystem ever actually do say F-U. They complain left and right and accuse Apple of being this and that--dumb, doomed, evil, stupid, greedy, etc., but mostly they still buy the next ipod or iphone or air or macbook pro.

Here in the US, Apple stuff is cheap relative to UK or Australia or Europe. And people overseas still pay the money for Apple stuff.

I would. Because it's that good in my personal estimation--the whole deal, that is: OS X, iOS, iCloud, app store, iTunes, etc.

Apple is selling a luxury product to a certain market segment. They don't care about volume or increasing market share if it goes against their philosophy or moves away from their target market.

Many see this as arrogance and stupidity--and they are entitled to their opinions--but I see it as self- directed and visionary and organic. Apple stuff isn't cobbled together by marketing statistics and sales projections. It has integrity.

You may not like it; you may think it's overpriced and hyped; but the one thing it is not, is stupid.

Apple does learn lessons, but it doesn't learn them from marketing and sales. And it will continue to have very high margins on it's stuff. It's what allows them to do things like make a custom, hand laid out, ARM instruction set SoC such as the A6 and A7. It's also what allows them to ignore the numbers game like camera Megapixels, and just focus on making an awesome phone camera with great low light performance.

Like any company, they have their faults and they make mis-steps and bad decisions, but overall I'm a huge fan of Apple and I love their stuff and I take the good with the bad. Paying a premium for storage is one of the bad things. But on the whole, there's a lot more good than bad.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

And personally, I'd be happy to see a lot of the online Apple contingent defect to Android. It's more their speed, really--more hardware options, more open platform, more choice overall, really--and there are some outstandingly good Android phones. If you dislike Apple for being Apple you'd be wise yo switch to Android rather than wait in vain for Apple to become something else. It's just not very likely to happen!
post #117 of 350

I'd rather spend the extra hundred buying something pocketable like this: http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.284731700?ClickID=bdvvu61q6gfzyvg1u1yvkvzgnvqymvselqvv

 

Extra storage, works with all your devices now and going forward.

post #118 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

I'd rather spend the extra hundred buying something pocketable like this: http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.284731700?ClickID=bdvvu61q6gfzyvg1u1yvkvzgnvqymvselqvv

 

Extra storage, works with all your devices now and going forward.

 

I have one of those (the 32GB model and I have another 32GB card in it) and while it works fine for streaming video with my Android tablet and phone, it has a flaw in how it handles music, at least at this point. The flaw? It lists the tracks of each album in alphabetical order only.....even with the metadata tags and filenames numbered properly with leading zeros. Until they address that, I will only use mine for video, not music.

 

I took the 32GB microsdcard out of my tablet and put it into my phone after loading it with music, since the phone sounds better than the tablet anyways....and now the videos that I watch on the tablet stream from the WMD. Eventually I want to get a 128GB SDXC and put that in the WMD. 

 

I have not had the chance to test the WMD with an iOS device, so I don't know if it would behave the same way or not.


Edited by Achmedisdead - 10/7/13 at 12:34am
post #119 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post
 

 

I have one of those (the 32GB model and I have another 32GB card in it) and while it works fine for streaming video with my Android tablet and phone, it has a flaw in how it handles music, at least at this point. The flaw? It lists the tracks of each album in alphabetical order only.....even with the metadata tags and filenames numbered properly with leading zeros. Until they address that, I will only use mine for video, not music.

 

I took the 32GB microsdcard out of my tablet and put it into my phone after loading it with music, since the phone sounds better than the tablet anyways....and now the videos that I watch on the tablet stream from the WMD. Eventually I want to get a 128GB SDXC and put that in the WMD. 

 

I have not had the chance to test the WMD with an iOS device, so I don't know if it would behave the same way or not.

 

Ah, I was hoping someone would have one. Does it have any support for DLNA or UPnP?

 

(perhaps DM me to avoid this going off topic any further)

post #120 of 350

By looking into gsmarena frequency response curves from several smartphones (with known output impedance) i'm afraid iPhone 5S output impedance will fall between 2.5 and 3 ohms. If that was the case it would be a dissapointment a no-go in my book (I don't want sources with more than 2 ohms of z).

 

Fingers crossed anyway. Hoping to be wrong.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output