or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market - Page 24

post #346 of 1453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

@ DigitalFreak
Are you going to try out the upcoming Sony NWZ-ZX1?

Sent from my iPhone 4S on the AT&T network using the stock keyboard because I feel like typing this out.


Not sure, I touched base with a very good friend of mine whose ears and advice I really trust and decided to bite the bullet and get the AK120. After the DX50 it has to be better then what I just traded in. I'm liable to have a stroke it a pricey player such as the AK120 is as bad of an experience as the DX50.

 

Mod Edit:  No religion please. :smile:

post #347 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

Interesting enough I was thinking I might encounter at least some (*minor) problem with my 8th batch DX50 as well due to all the issue people are reporting. But so far it has been very smooth for me. I received it with the v1.2.2. installed and already updated it twice (v.1.2.5 beta, then v1.2.5 final). Besides thinking it sounds a little thin to me, I have had almost no issue using it - the SD card scans decently fast (only the first scan takes longer, but that's normal), the touch screen is responsive but not overly sensitive. UI is smooth, USB connection goes without any problem and file recognition / sorting are okay as well (though all my files are already properly tagged). Sorry to see that it doesn't work out for you. I wonder if it has anything to do with the different batch.

 

+2

My 3rd batch device is working fine. The only problems I'm currently encountering is the player dies after the battery is drained and having to decide which firmware/sound signature I'd rather have. Then again, my experience with Hisound's Studio-V has been nothing short of being utterly disasterous and miserable. You win some, you lose some. Shrug. Such is life.

post #348 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 


Not sure, I touched base with a very good friend of mine whose ears and advice I really trust and decided to bite the bullet and get the AK120. After the DX50 it has to be better then what I just traded in. If you're religeous say a prayer for me young bopper, I'm liable to have a stroke it a pricey player such as the AK120 is as bad of an experience as the DX50.

 

I wonder who that person is? ;) Gonna be sending my unit in to be modded to the S mod in a day or two. Can't wait to hear this puppy once she's been upgraded to size G cups :p.


Edited by lee730 - 11/18/13 at 1:39am
post #349 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 After the DX50 it has to be better then what I just traded in. If you're religeous say a prayer for me

 

It is my hope that you find this product offers a good value for your money. If not, may you have a good experience with the customer service department when you ask for a refund.

 

Mod Edit:  No religion please. :smile:

post #350 of 1453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I wonder who that person is? wink.gif Gonna be sending my unit in to be modded to the S mod in a day or two. Can't wait to hear this puppy once she's been upgraded to size G cups tongue.gif.

Lmao, it was actually two friends I trust actually both of which I equally trust wink.gif
post #351 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

I wonder who that person is? ;)

 

ME!  :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Lmao, it was actually two friends I trust actually both of which I equally trust wink.gif

 

We're both online friends though, so put together it's like we're one real person.  :o


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

Reply
post #352 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post
 

 

ME!  :D

 

 

We're both online friends though, so put together it's like we're one real person.  :o

 

Now we'll have to see if I can poison both of you into getting your units modded. :evil:

post #353 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post



Lmao, it was actually two friends I trust actually both of which I equally trust wink.gif

 



Would that be one persons left ear and the other persons right then?
post #354 of 1453

This is a great thread!  I've only lurked through about 1/10th of the posts so far, but I really appreciate the honest approach in addressing these players.  User reviews can sometimes leave one not knowing what to believe as one review will bring up a flaw in a DAP that nobody else even mentions.

 

Much obliged to DigitalFreak, and everyone else for their extensive replies to this thread - making for some great reading!

 

I still have to watch the rest of that video - just at work at the moment...so...there's only so much I can get away with :) 

 

 

Thanks again, I'm going back to where I left off to continue reading...

post #355 of 1453
Yes this is a very interesting thread by @DigitalFreak. Maybe the true answer (as to why vendors get away with poor products) is that "it doesn't matter", so long as (a) the market for these remain small and (b) consumers put up with it.

For me the interesting question is also: what is the future role of audiophile portable devices in the coming "wearable device" market, which some analysts are projecting to grow to $5B or $6B in the next few years.

o can headphones do other things beyond its current function.
o can my glasses also be my DAP and DAC.
o can my belt and buckle be my antenna to receive audiophile quality streams.
o ....(fill in you favorite scenario).
post #356 of 1453

How about...

 

Can my day pack be my subwoofer?  

 

Yes it can!

 

 

http://www.41hz.com/forums/showthread.php?2710-AMP6-Basic-backpack-stereo-units

 

Mike

post #357 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

How about...

 

Can my day pack be my subwoofer?  

 

Yes it can!

 

 

http://www.41hz.com/forums/showthread.php?2710-AMP6-Basic-backpack-stereo-units

 

Mike


So where's the Green power ranger?

post #358 of 1453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gignac View Post
 

This is a great thread!  I've only lurked through about 1/10th of the posts so far, but I really appreciate the honest approach in addressing these players.  User reviews can sometimes leave one not knowing what to believe as one review will bring up a flaw in a DAP that nobody else even mentions.

 

Much obliged to DigitalFreak, and everyone else for their extensive replies to this thread - making for some great reading!

 

I still have to watch the rest of that video - just at work at the moment...so...there's only so much I can get away with :) 

 

 

Thanks again, I'm going back to where I left off to continue reading...

Thanks, i'm glad you enjoyed the video

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthomas View Post

Yes this is a very interesting thread by @DigitalFreak. Maybe the true answer (as to why vendors get away with poor products) is that "it doesn't matter", so long as (a) the market for these remain small and (b) consumers put up with it.

For me the interesting question is also: what is the future role of audiophile portable devices in the coming "wearable device" market, which some analysts are projecting to grow to $5B or $6B in the next few years.

o can headphones do other things beyond its current function.
o can my glasses also be my DAP and DAC.
o can my belt and buckle be my antenna to receive audiophile quality streams.
o ....(fill in you favorite scenario).

Interesting post. I think both A and B come into play. Also, there's a C which is brand loyalty and a D which is some people will defend a product to the death because they see it as an extension of their own lifestyle/character. Not naming any names, I've noticed 3 or 4 people specifically who act as if iBasso can do no wrong. A few others have adopted their DX50 as a lifestyle choice and act like any sort of  disparaging remark is an insult of either them or their family. When I originally posted my rant video the next day I had to delete 4 or 5 remarks from the videos comment section due to some rather ignorant and rude comments that were posted on there. From the posting styles I was able to deduce who two of the possible culprits might be. It puzzles me why people act rather crazy when debating something as silly as a handset. MP3 player or platform. Makes me wonder whose responsible for hitting the crazy pants button.

post #359 of 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Thanks, i'm glad you enjoyed the video

 

Interesting post. I think both A and B come into play. Also, there's a C which is brand loyalty and a D which is some people will defend a product to the death because they see it as an extension of their own lifestyle/character. Not naming any names, I've noticed 3 or 4 people specifically who act as if iBasso can do no wrong. A few others have adopted their DX50 as a lifestyle choice and act like any sort of  disparaging remark is an insult of either them or their family. When I originally posted my rant video the next day I had to delete 4 or 5 remarks from the videos comment section due to some rather ignorant and rude comments that were posted on there. From the posting styles I was able to deduce who two of the possible culprits might be. It puzzles me why people act rather crazy when debating something as silly as a handset. MP3 player or platform. Makes me wonder whose responsible for hitting the crazy pants button.

Crazy pants checking in...:tongue_smile:  So a few weeks ago I decided to get one of the DX50's to see what the fuss is about (I know DF I should have waited for our final thoughts, but I had to see for myself, glad I did, too).  So far, I have to say the only issue I've had is the not connecting when it was off thing.  have to turn it on to get it to be recognized (win7 64bit).  Other than that it works for me better than the HiSound with my new UE7 pros.  The HiSound makes some electronic squelching noises and has a noisy hiss going on with the UE7's.

 

Yes, there are some software things that could be better, like the random not having a stored queue so you can go back to a earlier song (heck even my cd changer in my truck has queue to go back to the previous track when set on random for all cd's in it).   Maybe I got a golden one?

 

But it does a very good job with my PS500's, UE7's and X10's.  With my zenhead amp on the lineout I also don't mind the HD800's with the DX50 as a source.  So I'm happy, if I had not bought it I would have had a brand new set of UE7's that I was not happy with on my HiSound due to the noise and squelching.

 

Time will tell...oh and it was a seventh batch with FW1.2.2 on it...

 

another note is that my FLAC files are HiSound proof to begin with (clean tags and names sorted correctly). 64Gig card took 4 minutes to scan nearly full (59Gig).


Edited by bearFNF - 11/19/13 at 8:16pm
post #360 of 1453
@DigitalFreak: so I would consider the "die hard" brand-loyal fans to be part of the vendors marketing machinery. Perhaps one possible way to limit their impact is to use the star-vote feature on Amazon on a given product. Lots if people read these stars and the comments. I believe Amazon makes sure there's one comment only per amazon account (which is cross verified to the account holder's credit card). I certainly go to Amazon just to check on people's comments regarding audio products.

btw you know what'd be funny, if you could use finger-puppets when you do your YouTube clips reviewing bad products :-) or maybe use muppet hand-gloves. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market