Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market - Page 23

post #331 of 1303

To which I have to add that my Sony PCM-M10 microSD card reader has proven itself to be compatible with everything I've thrown at it, including different brands of 64GB exFAT microSD cards that I've reformatted to FAT32 - a procedure that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, with the FiiO, iBasso, and HiFiMan DAPs, going from what I've read.  

 

Even the TASCAM DR-100 field recorder I tested as a DAP takes this to a new level, requiring that EVERY card you use first be formatted by the TASCAM itself, and it rejected some cards - refusing to format them.  Arrgh!

 

Sony has thoroughly dealt with this.  Just format any microSD card to FAT32 on your PC, copy your files to it, and you're good to go - any brand any size (I've tested up to 64GB).

 

1000

 

Sony PCM-M10 with iBasso PB2 Pelican

 

1000

 

Mike

post #332 of 1303

I use to have a Lexar 32gb micro-SD card that was recognized by my Galaxy S1 and Sansa Clip, but not my Galaxy S2. Oddly enough, it was recognized by a friend's Galaxy S2 (with the same firmware). So, I gave him the card (and avoided Lexar since).

post #333 of 1303

Digital, I heard you need a good player. Check FiiO X5 thread plese :rolleyes:

post #334 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 


Hey man, I think I'm done with the DX50. To bad, i really needed a good DAP.

 



Without wishing to be the messenger who's shot, could it be that it is not the DAP per se that is to blame but rather the SD media? That both the two specifically owned Dx50 and the X3 mentioned are having problems reading the micro sd cards reminded me of this report:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/SanDisk-says-it-produced-some-bad-32GB-and-64GB-microSD-cards_id40986

This report states that earlier this year SanDisk produced some faulty 32gb and 68gb micro disks which were sold. The specific problem identified is the cards "locking up" and failing to be acessible which sounds not unlike the problem you two are describing. Given the ubiquitous nature of SanDisk are either of you using said disks and this may be causing the problem?

I'm not defending either DAP, just pointing out that occasionally it is the media rather than the hardware that can cause problems.

regards,

Giles

 

Nope.

My Cowon C2 reads both my 64GB microSD cards fine and can update and create the media library without problem!

The X3 can READ EVERYTHING on my microSD card!

It just CANNOT properly create the player's media library.

If I go through "Browse Mode" I can access and play everything but I don't want to do only that...

post #335 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Digital, I heard you need a good player. Check FiiO X5 thread plese :rolleyes:


 X5 will probably have the same "library" issues as X3 so...

post #336 of 1303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Hey man, I think I'm done with the DX50. To bad, i really needed a good DAP.

 



Without wishing to be the messenger who's shot, could it be that it is not the DAP per se that is to blame but rather the SD media? That both the two specifically owned Dx50 and the X3 mentioned are having problems reading the micro sd cards reminded me of this report:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/SanDisk-says-it-produced-some-bad-32GB-and-64GB-microSD-cards_id40986

This report states that earlier this year SanDisk produced some faulty 32gb and 68gb micro disks which were sold. The specific problem identified is the cards "locking up" and failing to be acessible which sounds not unlike the problem you two are describing. Given the ubiquitous nature of SanDisk are either of you using said disks and this may be causing the problem?

I'm not defending either DAP, just pointing out that occasionally it is the media rather than the hardware that can cause problems.

regards,

Giles

Considering I've tried a 32, 64, and a 16GB card on the player an it's displayed the same bug every time I highly doubt it's the card. I also used the same cards on my studio V and all files were displayed without a hitch
post #337 of 1303

I pulled out (and blew the dust off) my old Dell Axim X51V (charged it up) and plugged in my old Shure E5c (for a trip down portable audio's memory lane, circa 2005). My Axim has a battery box issue where (due to a bad sensor spring) it randomly freezes. It takes a while to get it working again (very annoying), but anyway....

 

The Note 3/SE846 combo was sounding pretty good in the truck lately and I was getting excited about buying some new audio gear to compete with it. You see, that's how it works for me. When I hear something (that I like), I immediately want to challenge it. When nothing is sounding particularly good, I get discouraged about portable audio and its potential (and don't want to buy anything).

 

So, back to the Axim X51V and Shure E5c; well, what can I say? Uhhh, ummm, it sounds better than the Note 3/SE846. And, we are talking 128kbps files on the Axim versus FLAC on the Note 3. But hey, maybe the Note 3/SE846 is just having a bad day. I'm going to give my expensive new toys more time to get off the canvas and back in the fight. There's no denying though that the Note 3/SE846 is losing today along with my hope that things really had improved in my portable audio world over the years.

 

I knew the X51V/ E5c (using Pocket Player and the X50Mix software hack--The Voodoo of its day) sounded pretty decent (back in the day), but I didn't think much of it. I did realize that when I went to the iPhone in 2007 (for stability and convenience) that I was taking a hit in audio quality. I've got to get a new battery box assembly for my old unstable X51V (that apparently is the best portable audio I own). Maybe when I fiddle with the gazillion sound settings, it will get all distorted and stuff and I can dismiss this as an audio anomaly....

 


Edited by truckdriver - 11/5/13 at 12:31pm
post #338 of 1303
Thread Starter 

Read it and weep boys. I gave it the old college try but in the end I couldn't avoid giving up and chalking up the DX50 as little more then crap

 

post #339 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Read it and weep boys. I gave it the old college try but in the end I couldn't avoid giving up and chalking up the DX50 as little more then crap

 

 

I feel you. When I first started, my cowon gave me problems and was super frustrated. Thankfully it was fixed on the next fw update. You might wanna consider the AK120 downside would definitely be its price. I've been using it for almost 6 month and not once has it given me any problem. The only problem I've heard of is the playlist function which people can't seem to get to work ... but o well doesn't bother me cos i've never used it ... too lazy to arrange a playlist ... either let it run on shuffle throughout the entire collection or just listen individual album at a time. So to me its perfect. Sounds great reads 2 microsd ... and base on people who connected sd to microsd adapters it works for 128gb too. So when 128gb microsd comes just pop 2 in and you will get roughly 300gb of space ..... but once again I would like to reemphasize that it is one hell of an expansive player for something that small... haha but if it is something you are willing to pay for why not right? Cheers man. May you find yourself a perfect DAP that suits your needs.

post #340 of 1303

Just watched the review above and ouch.  Had been mildly curious but that's put me right off.  As it stands right now to MY perspective it seems to be Sansa or Apple (yes I'm aware of fiio x3 but that seems to have problems for firmware as well, though less prevalent) mainly for mp3 players right now with the sony's coming up shortly.  Problem I have with the sony's are the availability right now as well as the price.  It's really no wonder that apple have the dominate share (for good or bad) of the mp3 market right now.

post #341 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Read it and weep boys. I gave it the old college try but in the end I couldn't avoid giving up and chalking up the DX50 as little more then crap

 

 

Interesting enough I was thinking I might encounter at least some (*minor) problem with my 8th batch DX50 as well due to all the issue people are reporting. But so far it has been very smooth for me. I received it with the v1.2.2. installed and already updated it twice (v.1.2.5 beta, then v1.2.5 final). Besides thinking it sounds a little thin to me, I have had almost no issue using it - the SD card scans decently fast (only the first scan takes longer, but that's normal), the touch screen is responsive but not overly sensitive. UI is smooth, USB connection goes without any problem and file recognition / sorting are okay as well (though all my files are already properly tagged). Sorry to see that it doesn't work out for you. I wonder if it has anything to do with the different batch.

post #342 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Interesting enough I was thinking I might encounter at least some (*minor) problem with my 8th batch DX50 as well due to all the issue people are reporting. But so far it has been very smooth for me. I received it with the v1.2.2. installed and already updated it twice (v.1.2.5 beta, then v1.2.5 final). Besides thinking it sounds a little thin to me, I have had almost no issue using it - the SD card scans decently fast (only the first scan takes longer, but that's normal), the touch screen is responsive but not overly sensitive. UI is smooth, USB connection goes without any problem and file recognition / sorting are okay as well (though all my files are already properly tagged). Sorry to see that it doesn't work out for you. I wonder if it has anything to do with the different batch.

I haven't had the interesting times he's had either. No pulling of battery to reset. Granted, I've had lock ups, but I've just reset the machine or at worse do a factory reset. The scanning was long as well, but I have alot of files on a 64gb micro sdxc card. I've enjoyed my dx50 for the most part. Were his expectations that of an ipod? Probably, but his is only one data point on this dap. I think it's rather just bad luck, and having more stuff happening to him reinforcing the initial impression. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend something like this to the ipod crowd myself. It's not ready for their expectation for a dap right now.
post #343 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

I (for one) believe the reviewers when they claim the boutique players sound better than an iPod, but so does the Surface Pro headphones out (at a similar price). It's a little troubling when I read glowing reviews and then read that the updated firmware cleared up some of the muddiness ( with the super-sounding player). Or, when the next great player comes along, the first great player has shortcomings by comparison.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-N9005
post #344 of 1303
@ DigitalFreak
Are you going to try out the upcoming Sony NWZ-ZX1?

Sent from my iPhone 4S on the AT&T network using the stock keyboard because I feel like typing this out.
post #345 of 1303
The Sony ZX-1 will no doubt have a great UI and great sound, as long as you're using very efficient transducers that can do well with the ZX-1's paltry 15mW into 16-Ohm output.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market