Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market - Page 21

post #301 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach-X View Post

Here's an idea, stop letting expectation bias convince you that these 'boutique' players do anything to improve sound quality.

 

Yes, listen to them and prove that they do...

post #302 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post
 

 

Yes, listen to them and prove that they do...

 

I totally agree with this!

post #303 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post
 

 

Yes, listen to them and prove that they do...

 

I think that the response to that is that what you're proving is the expectation bias...

 

Not saying I agree, just saying...

post #304 of 1306
I (for one) believe the reviewers when they claim the boutique players sound better than an iPod, but so does the Surface Pro headphones out (at a similar price). It's a little troubling when I read glowing reviews and then read that the updated firmware cleared up some of the muddiness ( with the super-sounding player). Or, when the next great player comes along, the first great player has shortcomings by comparison.
post #305 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

@ truckdriver and reginalb

 

Great post guys, your views were a pleasure to read and I wish more users on here posted discussing their views like you two just did. As of now I've almost completely given up on the idea of being able to find a good one box hi-fi sounding on the go solution. I exchanged my EX50 hoping when I get the replacement back it will be halfway usable. If that doesn't work out I may be looking in Sony's direction as the only real alternative I have left. If Sony bombs I guess I'm stuck with a brick in my pocket for god knows how many years.

 

Maybe I am just lucky. I have had no more problems with my DX-50 did with my original Ipod, Zune or Cowan J-3 and I am using it with a 64 Gb internal SD card, two 128 Gb flash drives and a 1 Tb hard drive so far filled with 300Gb of files. I would say it is well past halfway usable ;) . Of course, I feel bad for those few who did receive defective units. I don't store any music files on the internal storage, only the operating system is there. I wonder if that may be part of the reason I have had so few problems?

 

Still, the Sony is intriguing. No provision for external drives, but it is supposed to have WiFi and should stream files from a WiFi enabled hard drive (my unit, a Patriot gauntlet Node, has internal battery and can support WiFi or direct USB connection). That could really be great when (if?) it becomes available.

 

Kevin

post #306 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post
 

 

Maybe I am just lucky. I have had no more problems with my DX-50 did with my original Ipod, Zune or Cowan J-3 and I am using it with a 64 Gb internal SD card, two 128 Gb flash drives and a 1 Tb hard drive so far filled with 300Gb of files. I would say it is well past halfway usable ;) . Of course, I feel bad for those few who did receive defective units. I don't store any music files on the internal storage, only the operating system is there. I wonder if that may be part of the reason I have had so few problems?

 

Still, the Sony is intriguing. No provision for external drives, but it is supposed to have WiFi and should stream files from a WiFi enabled hard drive (my unit, a Patriot gauntlet Node, has internal battery and can support WiFi or direct USB connection). That could really be great when (if?) it becomes available.

 

Kevin

 

You might be able to access a HDD through an OTG cable. 

 

What kind of HDD are you using with your DX50? Doesn't work with the external drive that I carry with me. 

post #307 of 1306
Love reading all the techy bugs threads about ibasso,fiio etc whilst listening to my wonderfully simple yet fabulous sounding HM-801.
I have still not read anything that makes me want to change it.
post #308 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

Love reading all the techy bugs threads about ibasso,fiio etc whilst listening to my wonderfully simple yet fabulous sounding HM-801.
I have still not read anything that makes me want to change it.

 

LOL, yeah, there were never any bugs with that one :wink_face:

post #309 of 1306

Well, I got mine second hand a year ago, and it's faultless.

 

I have read through the issues at launch from 2009

and really, compared to the DX100, there was not a lot wrong with it.

people moaning about gapless and 24/96wav, and some early

build quality. Plus the 801 firmware is very easy to change.

post #310 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

Love reading all the techy bugs threads about ibasso,fiio etc whilst listening to my wonderfully simple yet fabulous sounding HM-801.
I have still not read anything that makes me want to change it.

 

How many Hi-rez files can you carry?

post #311 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post
 

Well, I got mine second hand a year ago, and it's faultless.

 

I have read through the issues at launch from 2009

and really, compared to the DX100, there was not a lot wrong with it.

people moaning about gapless and 24/96wav, and some early

build quality. Plus the 801 firmware is very easy to change.

 

Having used early builds of the 6XX firmware (very similar to the 801's firmware) and now the DX50, I can tell you that there are fewer issues with the DX50 (of course, I have 5th batch - 1.2 firmware which contains a lot of fixes)

post #312 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post
 

 

You might be able to access a HDD through an OTG cable.

 

What kind of HDD are you using with your DX50? Doesn't work with the external drive that I carry with me.

 

I am already doing this. I am using a 1 Tb drive in what is called a "Patriot Gauntlet Node" enclosure. http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Gauntlet-Hard-drive-Enclosure-PCGTW25S/dp/B008KW61XK

 

The gauntlet Node has internal battery, USB port and WiFi, so it plugs right into the OTG port and just works. Don't know if the OTG port in the DX-50 can source enough current to run a non-powered hard drive, though it works directly with flash drives. The non-powered hard drive I tried would not work. But I don't think you would want to run the DX-50 and a hard drive off of the DX-50's internal battery alone at any rate...

 

And since the Gauntlet node has WiFi it may work with the new Sony ZX-1

 

Kevin

post #313 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach-X View Post

Here's an idea, stop letting expectation bias convince you that these 'boutique' players do anything to improve sound quality.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post
 

 

I think that the response to that is that what you're proving is the expectation bias...

 

Not saying I agree, just saying...

 

I knew what he meant. And I could say he has an expectation bias that there IS no improvement in sound quality. So which one of us has a real expectation bias? At least I have listened to them and judged for myself. Personally, I have no vested interest either way, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em...

 

Kevin

post #314 of 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post
 

 

I am already doing this. I am using a 1 Tb drive in what is called a "Patriot Gauntlet Node" enclosure. http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Gauntlet-Hard-drive-Enclosure-PCGTW25S/dp/B008KW61XK

 

Kevin

 

I meant that you might be able to do it with the Sony, as well. 

 

that one must work due to it having its own power supply, whereas mine is powered through USB. I had wondered exactly that. 

post #315 of 1306
Its a lot easier to hear things you _think_ are there than it is to hear things you don't, especially when you want to justify a high dollar purchase.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market