I'm looking for headphones with deep sub bass and clear highs. I don't wan't a smiley eq'd sound just something that projects the deep bass well without sacrificing mids and treble.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade Suggestions from NFB-12 Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:42pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Recommended open/close headphones for Vocal trance Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Disappointed in the ATH-M50s. Burn in questions / Virutal EQ thingy? Last post on 4/19/13 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What's your budget? I've been using the audio-technica M50 for a couple years now and they have very good extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum. They do have a slight mid-bass boost and a narrow spike in the treble, so depending on what you're listening to the sub-bass and the upper highs could be masked. For example, a rap song might start out with an 808 bass kick, but then a higher-frequency bassline comes in and drowns out the sub-bass from the 808. If you have an EQ this problem is easily fixed, though. Even the iTunes EQ works pretty well, just lower the 125 slider about 3 dB and the 8K by 6. A 20-20K frequency response isn't hard to get out of a headphone, the problem is that so many of them have boosts in the mid-bass and mid-treble that drown out the frequencies below and above those boosts.
M-Audio Q40 is one of the go-to's for lots of bass. Mids and highs are very smooth. Treble is a bit laid back though.
If you want neutral bass that extends very deep, try KEF M500 or AKG K550.
Pro900 to me has the best bass of all and I have a few good basshead phones (see sig). Can be found for $250ish
M-Audio Q40 for $130ish is the next tier down and may have bass to match the Pro900. Needs aftermarket pads but worth it.
- Bassy Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 12 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs Element 27 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 37 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 49 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Sweepstakes Presented by Sonic Electronix 1 minute ago
- › Grado SR225 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Rolls PM57 Headphone Tap by BeatsWork
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2