Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Anyone here has experience with the Creative SoundBlaster ZXR? If so, I have a question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone here has experience with the Creative SoundBlaster ZXR? If so, I have a question.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

How good is the ACM (Audio Control Module)? My Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones died today (not sure how, long story) and I didn't get a chance to properly test out the ACM vs plugging the headphones to the back of the sound card. If anyone experience with this sound card, I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks!

post #2 of 11
There's massive thread dedicated to Z series cards: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-s-rie-z
You might want to ask there or read it.
post #3 of 11

I have and several other people in the thread agreed... the ACM is basically worthless, it negatively affects SQ.  

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus01 View Post
 

How good is the ACM (Audio Control Module)? My Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones died today (not sure how, long story) and I didn't get a chance to properly test out the ACM vs plugging the headphones to the back of the sound card. If anyone experience with this sound card, I'd really appreciate any input.

Did you have a budget for the replacement headphones?

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Did you have a budget for the replacement headphones?

I've already placed an order for another pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohm headphones. I loved those headphones. Did you have a different suggestion for headphones?
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus01 View Post


I've already placed an order for another pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohm headphones. I loved those headphones. Did you have a different suggestion for headphones?

The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm are fairly good headphones.

I would have said to look into open headphones, unless you had a need for using closed.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm are fairly good headphones.

I would have said to look into open headphones, unless you had a need for using closed.

 



Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of open headphones. My partner likes to sit on the couch (which is accross from my desk) and hates the sound leakage from open headphones. Plus, I like the sound isolation that the 770's bring.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozenspite View Post

I have and several other people in the thread agreed... the ACM is basically worthless, it negatively affects SQ.  


 



I actually had one other question for you maybe you'll be able to help me. My computer sits on the bottom of my desk in. The 770's don't have a straight cable, the cable is coiled. Clearly this headphones are not meant to be used over long distances. So, if I were to get a cable extender (such as this http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/headphone-extension-cable-6-35-mm.html SID=7c6923513f95b0f83507ba0999e2a5b7&gclid=CO7P2fjz4bkCFUpBQgodNAgAmg) would it degrade the sound quality as much as the ACM? I want to be able to use my headphones withtout strechting the cable too much. That's one of the reasons why I was interested in using the ACM.

Thanks!
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus01 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozenspite View Post
 

I have and several other people in the thread agreed... the ACM is basically worthless, it negatively affects SQ.  

 



I actually had one other question for you maybe you'll be able to help me. My computer sits on the bottom of my desk in. The 770's don't have a straight cable, the cable is coiled. Clearly this headphones are not meant to be used over long distances. So, if I were to get a cable extender (such as this http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/headphone-extension-cable-6-35-mm.html SID=7c6923513f95b0f83507ba0999e2a5b7&gclid=CO7P2fjz4bkCFUpBQgodNAgAmg) would it degrade the sound quality as much as the ACM? I want to be able to use my headphones withtout strechting the cable too much. That's one of the reasons why I was interested in using the ACM.

Thanks!

 

As long as you get a decent cable you should be fine.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus01 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozenspite View Post
 

I have and several other people in the thread agreed... the ACM is basically worthless, it negatively affects SQ.  

 

I actually had one other question for you maybe you'll be able to help me. My computer sits on the bottom of my desk in. The 770's don't have a straight cable, the cable is coiled. Clearly this headphones are not meant to be used over long distances. So, if I were to get a cable extender (such as this http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/headphone-extension-cable-6-35-mm.html SID=7c6923513f95b0f83507ba0999e2a5b7&gclid=CO7P2fjz4bkCFUpBQgodNAgAmg) would it degrade the sound quality as much as the ACM? I want to be able to use my headphones without strechting the cable too much. That's one of the reasons why I was interested in using the ACM.

I would say to use the ACM, gives you a volume knob at your finger tips.

 

Or if you can budget, get an external headphone amplifier, like the Schiit Magni.

Should be a better head amp. then the one built into the Z card.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I would say to use the ACM, gives you a volume knob at your finger tips.

 

Or if you can budget, get an external headphone amplifier, like the Schiit Magni.

Should be a better head amp. then the one built into the Z card.

 



Thanks, but I went with a good headphone cable extender. I believe that the reason why people complain so much on the ACM is because of the cable quality. If the quality of the cable is cheap when compared to something like this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S95AY4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Or this (http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Extension-Cable-4-57m-Headphone/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1379970092&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=grado+extension+cable) then of course people will complain about it. I went with the first option. If it doesn't work, I'll step up to the Grado cable. I normally control my volume through the OS anyways so I'm not really missing out on the ACM. The only reason why I was interested in the ACM in the first place is so that I don't have to stretch out the cable from the 770's as the cable is coiled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Anyone here has experience with the Creative SoundBlaster ZXR? If so, I have a question.