Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Please help! Should I get LCD3 with HD800 or LCD3 with TH900?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help! Should I get LCD3 with HD800 or LCD3 with TH900? - Page 4

post #46 of 59
HD800 & TH900.

They're on separate ends of the analytical/musical spectrum, and should complement each other nicely. They're also the two most comfortable "summit" headphones available today, imho.
Getting a single amp to synergize with both might prove difficult though, but (like others have mentioned), some of the Japanese Bakoons might be able to do the job. I heard the HDA 5210 sounds great with the TH900.

Can't comment on the LCD-3. I've only tried it for a short time (maybe 3 hours max) and it sounded good with an Alo Studio 6 amp. Problem for me was the comfort. Slightly more comfortable than the LCD-2 (which I used to own) thanks to better earpads, but the clamping was still too strong for my skull, and the earpads were still far from perfect for my ears. Sound-wise, I'd say the LCD-3 is in between the HD800 and TH900. Doesn't quite have the imaging and wide soundstage as the HD800, but it's nowhere near as sterile. Not as bassy or fun-loving as the TH-900, but compensates with some of the best midrange available. Maybe a good compromise, depending on your presentation, as long as your head can stand the force.
post #47 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post

HD800 & TH900.

They're on separate ends of the analytical/musical spectrum, and should complement each other nicely. They're also the two most comfortable "summit" headphones available today, imho.
Getting a single amp to synergize with both might prove difficult though, but (like others have mentioned), some of the Japanese Bakoons might be able to do the job. I heard the HDA 5210 sounds great with the TH900.

Can't comment on the LCD-3. I've only tried it for a short time (maybe 3 hours max) and it sounded good with an Alo Studio 6 amp. Problem for me was the comfort. Slightly more comfortable than the LCD-2 (which I used to own) thanks to better earpads, but the clamping was still too strong for my skull, and the earpads were still far from perfect for my ears. Sound-wise, I'd say the LCD-3 is in between the HD800 and TH900. Doesn't quite have the imaging and wide soundstage as the HD800, but it's nowhere near as sterile. Not as bassy or fun-loving as the TH-900, but compensates with some of the best midrange available. Maybe a good compromise, depending on your presentation, as long as your head can stand the force.

You should try the LCD3 with silver widow cable and being drive under the Bakoon HPA-21~~ smily_headphones1.gif It's the best headphone I ever heard with this setting (driven from the current output of the Bakoon) ~

I already ordered a HD800 so I will see how it sounds like under the Bakoon, from 6 moons' review, the Bakoon suits the LCD3 perfectly and in their word: they had never heard a HD800 can be drive so nicely with the $3000 amp. I highly recommend you try the Bakoon HPA-21! smily_headphones1.gif

From some people's review says that the TH900 sounds beautiful under the Bakoon but I had never try it, maybe one day someone could borrow me his TH900? :P
post #48 of 59

HD800 is amazing with HPA-21! When I listen to HD800 on a "normal" amp or on the voltage output on HPA-21 I hear that familiar "ear towards the tweeter" "Donald Duck" type of sound. When connecting HD800 to the current output on HPA-21 all instruments gets a body, everything is getting more balanced. I have no problems with the treble of my un-modded HD800, but I use the standard Cardas cable and they say it attenuates the treble. It would be interesting to try Toxic Virus with HD800. I reviewed it with LCD-3, in the end I picked SW for LCD-3 but for HD800 I think the slightly "fuller" sound of Virus, plus the crispy treble, will fit HD800 just fine. I’ll maybe try it when Frank is up to speed.

 

Listening to David Rhodes well-mixed latest album "Rhodes" is very enjoyable with both HD800 and LCD-3, but with LCD-3 you hear what you miss with HD800 in the bass department! :tongue_smile:  A little bit different presentations, though. I hope that LCD-X will be something in between.

post #49 of 59

Get another HD800..................

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post
 

Get another HD800..................

lol +1 no doubt :biggrin:

post #51 of 59

HE-6 --> HD800 --> LCD-3 --> T1 --> TH900

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDude View Post
 

HD800 is amazing with HPA-21! When I listen to HD800 on a "normal" amp or on the voltage output on HPA-21 I hear that familiar "ear towards the tweeter" "Donald Duck" type of sound. When connecting HD800 to the current output on HPA-21 all instruments gets a body, everything is getting more balanced. I have no problems with the treble of my un-modded HD800, but I use the standard Cardas cable and they say it attenuates the treble. It would be interesting to try Toxic Virus with HD800. I reviewed it with LCD-3, in the end I picked SW for LCD-3 but for HD800 I think the slightly "fuller" sound of Virus, plus the crispy treble, will fit HD800 just fine. I’ll maybe try it when Frank is up to speed.

 

Listening to David Rhodes well-mixed latest album "Rhodes" is very enjoyable with both HD800 and LCD-3, but with LCD-3 you hear what you miss with HD800 in the bass department! :tongue_smile:  A little bit different presentations, though. I hope that LCD-X will be something in between.

Hehehe, "Donald Duck"

post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

HE-6 --> HD800 --> LCD-3 --> T1 --> TH900

Treblehead?

post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post
 

Treblehead?

Aww - How could ever have guessed..  (Smooth Treble head) But don't like the TH900s treble that much.  Would like the 950s to fit up there near the top.

post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

HE-6 --> HD800 --> LCD-3 --> T1 --> TH900

 

i don't know if i can agree or disagree with that, since i own all 5 of them as well

 

i think HE-6 --> HD 800 = T1 --- > LCD-3 ---> TH-900.

 

the LCD-3 can be better than both hd 800/t1 at times, other times not. but yeah i'd rank them something like this. sometimes i feel that HD 800 is better than HE-6, other times i don't. depending on the music, but the HE-6 seems to be one of my favorites now, at least the one thats impressed me the most since my T1.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 10/15/13 at 6:09am
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i don't know if i can agree or disagree with that, since i own all 5 of them as well

 

It's always subjective, isn't it.

My order of preference is almost the exact opposite of his. The TH900 and T1 are my favourites in terms of musicality and presentation, while I find the HE-6 too antiseptic and the LCD3 too muddy (and uncomfortable). HD800 is a special case. It's probably the best in terms of resolution and overall technicalities, but I find it utterly soulless. Probably just a case of not having found the right headphone/amp synergy.


Edited by kurochin - 10/15/13 at 7:07am
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

i don't know if i can agree or disagree with that, since i own all 5 of them as well

 

i think HE-6 --> HD 800 = T1 --- > LCD-3 ---> TH-900.

 

the LCD-3 can be better than both hd 800/t1 at times, other times not. but yeah i'd rank them something like this. sometimes i feel that HD 800 is better than HE-6, other times i don't. depending on the music, but the HE-6 seems to be one of my favorites now, at least the one thats impressed me the most since my T1.

 

 

I feel the exact the same way about the LCD-3s and the T1s.   They flip flop all the time..

post #58 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i don't know if i can agree or disagree with that, since i own all 5 of them as well

i think HE-6 --> HD 800 = T1 --- > LCD-3 ---> TH-900.

the LCD-3 can be better than both hd 800/t1 at times, other times not. but yeah i'd rank them something like this. sometimes i feel that HD 800 is better than HE-6, other times i don't. depending on the music, but the HE-6 seems to be one of my favorites now, at least the one thats impressed me the most since my T1.

Really? To my ear, it would be HD800=LCD3->HE6->T1->TH900 under the Bakoon HPA-21.

Reason I mark HD800 equal to LCD3 is not saying they sounds the same, it's because they are the best complements headphones in the market at this price range. To my ear I prefer the LCD3 over the HD800 as it sounds more musical but I really love HD800's soundstage.
My friend has the same opinion as me. wink.gif
post #59 of 59
HD800=>HE-6=>LCD3, haven't heard the th900 and I'm ashamed for not trying the t1s yet but from what I've read, the t1 would come after LCD3.
Edited by DarKen23 - 10/17/13 at 4:10am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Please help! Should I get LCD3 with HD800 or LCD3 with TH900?