Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Noobie Help: Which Headphones for dance music ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noobie Help: Which Headphones for dance music ??? - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

im a former DJ,and although I dont listen to a ton of EDM,I do like dark trance...here is something to consider...

A lot of "dance music" techno/trance/house/drum and bass etc... has many other facets other than a constant sub bass thump.I have found that when listening to EDM thru BASS heavy headphones that it was nearly impossible to turn up the volume loud enough to hear the synths/vocals etc because the sub bass was so overpowering...

That being said I prefer a neutral headphone for EDM,which will deliver the bass that is there in the original recording w/o artificially pumping it up.It makes the other parts of the music enjoyable too w/o it being drowned out by 130 bpm of mega-thump

 

Can you give a rec. for a neutral phone you like to use with edm? I think you raise a really good point, it's not just the bass response that we want.

post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Can you give a rec. for a neutral phone you like to use with edm? I think you raise a really good point, it's not just the bass response that we want.

I cant recommend anything at the OPs price point,but I really like the KEF500s cuz theyre easy to drive and are very neutral...plus the other usual suspects like HD600s and ATH-W1000X are good too....

A lot of real trance(goa/psy/dark) has a lot of trippy effects in it and you simply cannot enjoy that if your skull is being pummeled 130 times per minute by the bass happy phones...but some like that I guess

post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

I cant recommend anything at the OPs price point,but I really like the KEF500s cuz theyre easy to drive and are very neutral...plus the other usual suspects like HD600s and ATH-W1000X are good too....

A lot of real trance(goa/psy/dark) has a lot of trippy effects in it and you simply cannot enjoy that if your skull is being pummeled 130 times per minute by the bass happy phones...but some like that I guess

 

I know this is getting off topic, but I love trippy effects and stuff in music. Any albums or tracks you can recommend to listen to in order to hear some neat sounds?

 
Thanks dude.
post #19 of 31

i have tons yes...what genre you like?

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

i have tons yes...what genre you like?

 

Just the craziest sounding ****!!!

 I'd like to hear dark, almost disturbing electronic music. Just very dirty stuff. I know that's not a great desc, but perhaps you can provide a few albums/ songs to get started with it.
post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

im a former DJ,and although I dont listen to a ton of EDM,I do like dark trance...here is something to consider...

A lot of "dance music" techno/trance/house/drum and bass etc... has many other facets other than a constant sub bass thump.I have found that when listening to EDM thru BASS heavy headphones that it was nearly impossible to turn up the volume loud enough to hear the synths/vocals etc because the sub bass was so overpowering...

That being said I prefer a neutral headphone for EDM,which will deliver the bass that is there in the original recording w/o artificially pumping it up.It makes the other parts of the music enjoyable too w/o it being drowned out by 130 bpm of mega-thump

 

exactly. i don't want to overpower the mids and treble with bass either.
my main edm genre is early old skool hardcore and mid 90's house and garage. there's more than just bass with those as well.

do you think the dt990 pros will overpower as above??

post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman72 View Post
 

 

exactly. i don't want to overpower the mids and treble with bass either.
my main edm genre is early old skool hardcore and mid 90's house and garage. there's more than just bass with those as well.

do you think the dt990 pros will overpower as above??

 

Again, treble and bass reign supreme on the 990's. If you read lots of reviews, you will probably see that this is the case. It's  a very strong v shape to the frequency chart. 

 

The question is if you can stand the scooped midrange. To me, it was annoying. It sounded like something was missing from the music when I listened to them. Electronic music still needs a prevalent midrange, and 990 didn't really give me that. I didn't keep them too long, but maybe they just needed some more burn in.

post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman72 View Post
 

 

exactly. i don't want to overpower the mids and treble with bass either.
my main edm genre is early old skool hardcore and mid 90's house and garage. there's more than just bass with those as well.

do you think the dt990 pros will overpower as above??

 

I still think for 130 or so, they present a very nice value. The pro 900 is almost double the price.

The 990 gives great detail due to its prevalent treble.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman72 View Post
 

 

exactly. i don't want to overpower the mids and treble with bass either.
my main edm genre is early old skool hardcore and mid 90's house and garage. there's more than just bass with those as well.

do you think the dt990 pros will overpower as above??

I like the 990s...not neutral but theyre good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Just the craziest sounding ****!!!

 I'd like to hear dark, almost disturbing electronic music. Just very dirty stuff. I know that's not a great desc, but perhaps you can provide a few albums/ songs to get started with it.

Im retired...so my trance knowledge is dated but heres a few to check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROc2TZx7j_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeTuyuean40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6i66D21rQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZpafv7qQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2I2cZxFzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyBfL590sg


Some of my favs!

post #25 of 31
i listen to alot of edm, mainly dnb and trance. I just got my m-100's today and all i can say is that i am absolutely amazed. The these cans produce a very great sound, and if you like bass, well you will deff be pleased, and it aint sloppy either. I cant them off, like them so much i just ordered a second pair, one for home and one for work.
post #26 of 31

+1 for m-100. Also audition Sennheiser Amperior's

post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbullys View Post

i listen to alot of edm, mainly dnb and trance. I just got my m-100's today and all i can say is that i am absolutely amazed. The these cans produce a very great sound, and if you like bass, well you will deff be pleased, and it aint sloppy either. I cant them off, like them so much i just ordered a second pair, one for home and one for work.

 

M-100 isn't a bad pick. I remember that I liked them very much, and enjoyed listening. The problem for me was that I would put on Pro 900 afterwards, and just hear it was better, everytime.  The M-100 actually sounds quite nice if you aren't going to give it any extra juice, and just use a portable player. But once you give them some extra juice (My Fiio E11 was sufficient) the pro 900 easily crushes them in bass, treble, and overall resolution. For certain, they also give more detail.

 

Your first high end headphone WILL surprise you, and you are very likely to think it's amazing. Whether you choose Pro 900 or M-100, i'm sure you will enjoy it. It's well documented here that people think they reach "the holy grail" of music with a Sony XB 500, until they try something better.

bgbullys, I believe to your ears that they "produce a very great sound". But, don't think it's the only headphone that does that for you.

 

On the other hand, certainly enjoy the music! If the M-100 is doing it for you, dance around like a moron. That's something that's easy to forget as well, as you get addicted to upgrading your sound.


Edited by TWerk - 9/27/13 at 3:19am
post #28 of 31
OP

Do you prefer ballet or waltz?
post #29 of 31
Twerk

I have no doubt that there is better then the m-100. Although they are a decent set of headphones, i am the same as others there is always something better, and i want to know so can get them too. Not everything is for everyone and not everything is ment for every pupose. But the sound is pretty good, the portablity is good and the styling is good. But i know they arent the best.
post #30 of 31

Sennheiser Momentum

Logitech UE6000

Beyerdynamic DT770

 

There is a few to try.

 

I have some UE6000 for sale if you are interested, they are good for electronic music.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Noobie Help: Which Headphones for dance music ???