Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 63

post #931 of 2355
In what ways are the K545 better than Sony 7520?
post #932 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

In what ways are the K545 better than Sony 7520?

Price definitely, as well as availability :D 

post #933 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

In what ways are the K545 better than Sony 7520?

 

The cables...and the extreme low end seem to be a bit more textured, and the highs are a bit smoother out of the box but that appears to be all after about 5 hours w/ each (I returned the 545 because I couldn't get a good seal w/ my glasses on).  And what Bucket said...130 cheaper and you can buy them at Best Buy locally.  But then again, tons of sites carry the 7520 and barely any the 545, so it depends if you live close to a BB or not.  ;)

post #934 of 2355

Thanks! I'm looking for a replacement for K545. It looks like Sony 7520 would be a good choice.

post #935 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

Thanks! I'm looking for a replacement for K545. It looks like Sony 7520 would be a good choice.

I believe its a perfect upgrade.
post #936 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

The cables...and the extreme low end seem to be a bit more textured, and the highs are a bit smoother out of the box but that appears to be all after about 5 hours w/ each (I returned the 545 because I couldn't get a good seal w/ my glasses on).  And what Bucket said...130 cheaper and you can buy them at Best Buy locally.  But then again, tons of sites carry the 7520 and barely any the 545, so it depends if you live close to a BB or not.  ;)

It really depends on where you live, because in HK I could not find a MDR-7250 anywhere and only the Z1000 was to be found. On the other hand, many of the shops seem to stock cans that look like the 545 (but I didn't try them on at that time).

post #937 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

In what ways are the K545 better than Sony 7520?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

The cables...and the extreme low end seem to be a bit more textured, and the highs are a bit smoother out of the box but that appears to be all after about 5 hours w/ each (I returned the 545 because I couldn't get a good seal w/ my glasses on).  And what Bucket said...130 cheaper and you can buy them at Best Buy locally.  But then again, tons of sites carry the 7520 and barely any the 545, so it depends if you live close to a BB or not.  ;)

are you saying that the lows of the k545 are more textured.... heck freaking no if that is what you are saying... The lows of the k545 dont even come within reach of the the 7520 end low resolution.

 

The way that the k545 is better than the Sony is in soundstage. The headphones sound actually nothing alike. Not even close to alike.

 

k545 more dull and smooth, restrained, brighter, refined maybe. The lower mids are not as forward as the 7520 but the soundstage is where it trumps the 7520. The upper mids of the k545 are where it shines and does female vocals well but it is borderline full whereas the 7520 is pretty much full force and much more raw sounding. 

 

The 7520 has more texture all around and has better resolution but the timbre is a bit different and not really smooth. The tones are sharper and fuller. The 7520 has tons more attack as well making the k545 sound dull in comparison. The 7520 has more of a midbass hump and the 545 has barely any mid bass hump. The 7520 has better lower mids and the upper mids are inbalance as well. The highs are more rolled off in comparison to the k545 others can back this up as well. 

 

The only reason I couldnt keep the 7520 is because the soundstage was a lot more closed in compared to the k545.

 

this is after a couple of weeks of bass tests from audiocheck.net and direct sit down time of comparing them.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 2/12/14 at 12:06pm
post #938 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

The headphones sound actually nothing alike. Not even close to alike.

 

 

I disagree.  And that's the good thing about all of us having different ears and headshapes.

post #939 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

I disagree.  And that's the good thing about all of us having different ears and headshapes.

i get it but it I couldnt be more baffled if you find more texture in the bass of the k545 than the 7520. If that is what you are saying then you really need to do some more listening. That is impossible. the 7520 bass has the best resolution and texture of any headphone near or around its price range EASILY. So much so that I thought it was a typo. If not i wont bother to pay attention to ANY of your impressions. especially since you say you get better seal from the 7520 ...no offense. 

 

we do atleast agree that they are great hp's:smile_phones:


Edited by grizzlybeast - 2/12/14 at 12:25pm
post #940 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

i get it but it I couldnt be more baffled if you find more texture in the bass of the k545 than the 7520. If that is what you are saying then you really need to do some more listening. That is impossible. the 7520 bass has the best resolution and texture of any headphone near or around its price range EASILY. So much so that I thought it was a typo. If not i wont bother to pay attention to ANY of your impressions. especially since you say you get better seal from the 7520 ...no offense. 

 

No offense taken at all.  Clearly there are users on this forum that I agree with more than others, and you have every right to ignore everything I say going forward.  No problem at all with that.

 

That said, when I was referring to the bass texture, I was talking about the sub bass (notice how I said extreme low end, not the mid bass, which the 545 has very little of).  Obviously from the entire bass spectrum, the 7520 is superior in almost all ways because it's better layered (actually having mid bass helps).  

 

As for the seal...well that is a physical thing.  The pads on the 545 simply do not work with glasses.  I had to either push the cups towards my head to get the seal or I had to take my glasses off completely.  Soooo...not sure why I'm criticized for that.  The 7520 works fine with my glasses on and I don't notice a difference with them on or off...so clearly it's a better fit FOR ME.

post #941 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

No offense taken at all.  Clearly there are users on this forum that I agree with more than others, and you have every right to ignore everything I say going forward.  No problem at all with that.

 

That said, when I was referring to the bass texture, I was talking about the sub bass (notice how I said extreme low end, not the mid bass, which the 545 has very little of).  Obviously from the entire bass spectrum, the 7520 is superior in almost all ways because it's better layered (actually having mid bass helps).  

 

As for the seal...well that is a physical thing.  The pads on the 545 simply do not work with glasses.  I had to either push the cups towards my head to get the seal or I had to take my glasses off completely.  Soooo...not sure why I'm criticized for that.  The 7520 works fine with my glasses on and I don't notice a difference with them on or off...so clearly it's a better fit FOR ME.

no I am sorry if I criticized you. I was saying that because in perspective, hearing sub bass textures have a lot to do with the seal. The only way I could accept the 7520 sounding less textured in the sub bass is because someone didnt get a good seal on the 7520. In this case you got a good seal on the 7520 and so that would make it hard to believe. The 7520 has better extreme low texture as well and that is where i first noticed its resolution on a bass test. I ran the test and actually thought it was distortion but it was nothing but pure detail down there and was more shocked because of the midbass hump. I for one find the seal of the 7520 to be my favorite so far.

 

Being that the extreme low of the k545 stands out more in its presentation I can see what you are saying as being a first impression but upon study you will notice more resolution there on the 7520 as well.

 

I came off too strong its just that my perplexed and surprised emotion at your impression made me wonder if you even heard both. But I get it... no need to carry on. I am too long winded anyway.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 2/12/14 at 12:38pm
post #942 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

no I am sorry if I criticized you. I was saying that because in perspective hearing sub bass textures have to do with the seal. And the only way I could accept the 7520 sounding less textured in the sub bass is because someone didnt get a good seal on the 7520 but in this case you got a good seal on the 7520 so that would make it hard to believe. The 7520 has better extreme low texture as well and that is where i first noticed its resolution on a bass test. I for one find the seal of the 7520 to be my favorite so far.

 

Being that the extreme low of the k545 stands out more in its presentation I can see what you are saying as being a first impression but upon study you will notice more resolution there on the 7520 as well.

 

I came off too strong its just that my perplexed and surprised emotion at your impression made me wonder if you even heard both. But I get it... no need to carry on. I am too long winded anyway.

 

To be fair, you're right, I only had the 545 for about 3 days (so basically a first impression for the most part)...not getting a good seal really sours you on a headphone.  So its possible I'm just forgetting how good it is compared to the 7520, but I still remember it being so enjoyable.  It also could be the fact that the 7520 has some mid bass so it's hiding a bit of the sub bass to these fairly amateur ears.  Either way, the 7520 is better...100% without a doubt.  So I agree with you there!

post #943 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

To be fair, you're right, I only had the 545 for about 3 days (so basically a first impression for the most part)...not getting a good seal really sours you on a headphone.  So its possible I'm just forgetting how good it is compared to the 7520, but I still remember it being so enjoyable.  It also could be the fact that the 7520 has some mid bass so it's hiding a bit of the sub bass to these fairly amateur ears.  Either way, the 7520 is better...100% without a doubt.  So I agree with you there!

:beerchug:

yeah I was harsh for first impressions. I relent. When i had the yamaha and the 7520 I thought the sounded identical at first until the differences became so obvious I can no longer say they sound similar.

post #944 of 2355

Guys what closed headphones could bring these following improvements to the sound of the Sony without messing with its bass quantity and quality?

Larger instruments separation,

wider soundstage and height,

refined layering,

tiny bit more airy trebbles.

(those would be my perfect closed cans)

 

@grizzlybeast I see your waiting for the ZMF I would love to hear some impressions :)

post #945 of 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMajeure View Post
 

Guys what closed headphones could bring these following improvements to the sound of the Sony without messing with its bass quantity and quality?

Larger instruments separation,

wider soundstage and height,

refined layering,

tiny bit more airy trebbles.

(those would be my perfect closed cans)

 

@grizzlybeast I see your waiting for the ZMF I would love to hear some impressions :)

My Denon 2000's are exactly that after 1000 odd hours :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520