or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 48

post #706 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

WD-40 is not a proper lubricant, why did you use it? I had similar issue and silicone spray fixed it completely. Again on your pair it could be coming from different place and not from that black plastic hinge connector. On mine it was obvious when I opened the cup, it was squeaking like crazy right there.

On further inspection I actually do think it's the black plastic hinge connector. Guess I'm gonna have to find me some silicone spray if that will apparently fix it.


Edited by starfly - 1/24/14 at 11:59am
post #707 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


The cups are indeed small. They barely fit around my average sized ears............

 

The overall build is kind of plasticky compared to the awesome Magnesium Alloy build of the 7520. It also smells like it's from China, haha. I think it'll go away though.

 

 

Thanks, you've just saved me! :beerchug:

 

Comfort is very personal of course, but I find the 7520's extremely comfortable even though my ears are touching the mesh. The feel and texture of the pads is very good and the isolation with the stock pads is also good. To me, putting on the 7520's is like putting on an extremely well fitting pair of shoes, snug but very comfortable at the same time.

As for the sound, I'm more than happy. It's not perfect, but perfection doesn't exist. IMO it has no weaknesses as such, certainly not considering it's intended purpose, and what it does well it does extremely well!

 

Here's an interesting post from Gearslutz (is that swearing on this forum? :eek:) that might be interesting to those who own, or are considering the Focals:-

 

Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 12,267

5years.png
 
Karloff70 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
That's something I too would be interested in.



So, how would you compare the two?

 
I just compared the 7520 and Focal Pro the other day and other than saying they are both very good headphones came up with something like this:

7520 good:

- extreme detail
- extremely low distortion
- extreme punch
- SUPER fast
- very low and tight bass

7520 bad:

- a bit on the hard side in the upper mids for me
- so low distortion, you're likely to deafen yourself accidentally, turning them up more than you think, and then that extreme punch really hurts you
- the bass is too much on electronic music. Works very well on acoustic/band stuff it seems though

Focal good:

- good detail
- good punch without hurting you
- comfortable, nice to listen to
- decent bass

Focal bad:

- feel a bit hyped
- a little bit of a plastic sound to them
- sitting on ears will get a bit sweaty for me


All these comments to be seen in relativity and obviously as IMHO. Both are as stated before very high quality headphones, the 7520's being the most extreme cans I have tried. In the end they both went back and I am staying with my modded Fostex T50RP's, which to me spanked both of them. No hype, no pain, plenty detail, no stress....still to be beaten.
post #708 of 2340

Yeah... sorry about hyping the Focals. I have them with me all day at work today (after a full night of burn-in). Let me have at'em for a week or two and then I'll share my more organized / less fanboy thoughts on them.

 

I can sort of see the pads of the Focals breaking in a bit and allowing for slightly better fit. I see the possibility as they're softer today then they were yesterday, but I'll let everyone know. So far they sound gorgeous, linear, detailed with timbre to die for, and I have nothing to take back; but more time with them will tell me more.

 

When I get something "worthy" I usually like to give it exclusive head time for a while before comparing them to the old champs (7520), so I'll be in exclusive mode for the next few days and I will also be burning them in every evening when I go to bed, just in case this makes any kind of difference.


Edited by M-13 - 1/24/14 at 1:28pm
post #709 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

WD-40 is not a proper lubricant, why did you use it? I had similar issue and silicone spray fixed it completely. Again on your pair it could be coming from different place and not from that black plastic hinge connector. On mine it was obvious when I opened the cup, it was squeaking like crazy right there.

On further inspection I actually do think it's the black plastic hinge connector. Guess I'm gonna have to find me some silicone spray if that will apparently fix it.

That or they say graphite lubricant is even better for squeaks.

post #710 of 2340
Quote:

Here's an interesting post from Gearslutz - Karloff70

 

Yeah, I helped answer some of his questions over there and directed him to this thread as well.

 

 
Quote Karloff70:
7520 bad:
- so low distortion, you're likely to deafen yourself accidentally

 

I fully respect an opinion, but to list low distortion as "bad" is beyond me. That's just rubbish.

 

 

7520 bad:
- the bass is too much on electronic music

 

Let me rephrase that: often electronic music is mixed way too bass heavy and it will of course be reproduced by the 7520.


Edited by jackson1 - 1/24/14 at 1:35pm
post #711 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

That or they say graphite lubricant is even better for squeaks.

Will look into it at the local hardware store, see what I can find.

 

I also notice it makes that noise when I'm chewing something. My jaw muscles clench up and push the lower half of the earcup every so slightly outward, causing a creaking sound, which gets annoying after a while. Especially since I started noticing it I'm listening for it constantly now, distracting me from the music. Of course I don't hear it when I keep my head perfectly still, but I wanna be able to move my head around without it causing the headphone to creak a bit. But now that I think I've located the source, I'll try to properly lubricate them. I do like how these headphones are relatively easy to take apart for maintenance, I guess that's the benefit of these professional type headphones.

post #712 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

Thanks, you've just saved me! :beerchug:

 

:beerchug: Say no to made in China smell. Haha.

 

As for the gearslutz guy. I saw his comparison too and now that I have the Spirit Pro my thoughts on his thoughts = :confused:

 

I don't care if this guy has been 5,000 years a member of gearslutz, the Fostex T50RP does not "spank" the 7520. In fact the Mad Dog, which is a much improved version fails to best it IMO. And the Spirit Pro does not sound plasticky. I know exactly what that is and these don't have that period. The timbre is very nice, reminicient of the Z1000, which had better timbre than the 7520.

 

@GrizzlyBeast

 

One thing I noticed last night and confirming this afternoon is that these don't have the ubiquitous mid-bass hump. Every other phone I've tried has a small hump to some degree. HE-500, HD650, HD600, and even our beloved 7520. It's strange hearing something without this at all, but still managing to extend low, super low with good energy and impact.

 

I think this is the reason people say these are "bass light" as the mid bass area sounds wide open like those cans that have heavy bass roll off, but these keep on extending deep without losing energy.


Edited by M-13 - 1/24/14 at 1:38pm
post #713 of 2340

starfly, if it's any comfort to you, I do notice a rise in mechanical sqeaks in my 7520, especially when moving my jaws. I'm not bothered yet, but part of mixing (which is what I'm doing) is to locate unwanted noise and clicks and remove it. Having the 7520 to emit its own squeaks can be confusing, so I'll have to fix it at some point. I'm positive that it can be fixed 100%.

post #714 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

yamaha = first headphone i dont have to eq.

I will eventually andrew there are just a couple of steps inbetween now and then.

Hi grizzlybeast , I'm curious, what were your eq settings for the sony if you can remember.

Currently i'm still not sure if I prefer them flat or with some eq.

 

 

Guys for the squeaking be sure to lubricate the points shown in red, rotate the cup and lubricate the opposite ones,

repeat this for all four hinges 

 

be sure to use silicon oil or viscous enough lubricant, and rotate the cups a dozen time so it gets in there good.

that solved my squeaking completely.

 

If you still got squeaking, then this is the only left point you could lubricate 

 

 

although I didn't have to for now.


Edited by ForceMajeure - 1/24/14 at 5:10pm
post #715 of 2340

Great instructional post, you just violated photo copyrights though, be prepared to hear from our lawyer. :D

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/405#post_10072870


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 1/24/14 at 6:31pm
post #716 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Great instructional post, you just violated photo copyrights though, be prepared to hear from our lawyer. :D

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/405#post_10072870

My bad, credit for the 1st pic goes to  Andrew_WOT .

I didn't know how to use the quote function and add on it red signs (newb)

 

Lets hope we can skip the lawyer part for now :rolleyes: .

post #717 of 2340
Quote:

 

Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 12,267

5years.png
 
Karloff70 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
That's something I too would be interested in.



So, how would you compare the two?

 
I just compared the 7520 and Focal Pro the other day and other than saying they are both very good headphones came up with something like this:

7520 good:

- extreme detail
- extremely low distortion
- extreme punch
- SUPER fast
- very low and tight bass

7520 bad:

- a bit on the hard side in the upper mids for me
- so low distortion, you're likely to deafen yourself accidentally, turning them up more than you think, and then that extreme punch really hurts you
- the bass is too much on electronic music. Works very well on acoustic/band stuff it seems though


Focal good:

- good detail
- good punch without hurting you
- comfortable, nice to listen to
- decent bass

Focal bad:

- feel a bit hyped
- a little bit of a plastic sound to them
- sitting on ears will get a bit sweaty for me


All these comments to be seen in relativity and obviously as IMHO. Both are as stated before very high quality headphones, the 7520's being the most extreme cans I have tried. In the end they both went back and I am staying with my modded Fostex T50RP's, which to me spanked both of them. No hype, no pain, plenty detail, no stress....still to be beaten.

 

Rubbish...

post #718 of 2340

That extreme punch or very wide dynamic range capability is one of the key things I like about the 7520 because that the way live music sounds like. More true to the source is another way of saying that. I have been frustrated by compression on some modern recordings. The details gets buried in dense music. Yes, in some cases the dynamic range gets a bit hard to handle even with live unamplified concerts I go to. Should our playback equipment be a bit more true to the recordings?

post #719 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

 

Yeah, I helped answer some of his questions over there and directed him to this thread as well.

 

 

 

I fully respect an opinion, but to list low distortion as "bad" is beyond me. That's just rubbish.

 

 

 

Let me rephrase that: often electronic music is mixed way too bass heavy and it will of course be reproduced by the 7520.

 

 

Sorry jackson1, I should perhaps have mentioned your involvement and contribution. I totally agree with what you say above.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

:beerchug: Say no to made in China smell. Haha.

 

As for the gearslutz guy. I saw his comparison too and now that I have the Spirit Pro my thoughts on his thoughts = :confused:

 

I don't care if this guy has been 5,000 years a member of gearslutz, the Fostex T50RP does not "spank" the 7520. In fact the Mad Dog, which is a much improved version fails to best it IMO.

 

 

 

He does say that his Fostex T50RP are modded, so it's not possible to know how they sound or draw any comparison conclusions - unless it's a standard well known mod?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

That extreme punch or very wide dynamic range capability is one of the key things I like about the 7520 because that the way live music sounds like. More true to the source is another way of saying that. I have been frustrated by compression on some modern recordings. The details gets buried in dense music. Yes, in some cases the dynamic range gets a bit hard to handle even with live unamplified concerts I go to. Should our playback equipment be a bit more true to the recordings?

 

I agree, John!

 

I think it's easy to forget that the 7520 is designed as a professional tool. It's designed to be ruthlessly accurate and extremely durable. They're great for tracking as they isolate well and still feel very comfortable and secure on the head with one ear cup slid backwards off the ear so musicians can hear themselves acoustically, something which instrumentalists often do when recording. If the drivers were not capable of such high power handling they could soon get blown in a studio situation given their high sensitivity and low impedance (probably by accident whilst not on someone's head) and anyway, sometimes musicians (drummers for example) need relatively high spl's, and the ability to go loud and remain clean is important. They reproduce music so accurately (with extremely low distortion) that they are being embraced by very many engineers as a mixing tool. The overwhelming consensus is that mixes done on the 7520's translate well, especially (or rather perhaps unusually, for a closed headphone) in the bass region.

They also happen to be great for listening to music on! :beyersmile:  but they weren't primarily designed as consumer headphones which is why they are a little too uncompromising for some. The situation reminds me of the difference between consumer (high end) Hi-Fi loudspeakers, which are designed to sound nice, and studio monitors, which are designed to be accurate. I've always preferred monitors! ;) 


Edited by Mike F - 1/25/14 at 1:57am
post #720 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

 

He does say that his Fostex T50RP are modded, so it's not possible to know how they sound or draw any comparison conclusions - unless it's a standard well known mod?

He does indeed say that. I don't know if you've been following the Fostex T50RP mod thread, but there are several common steps that are taken by most modders. Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) took this to a whole new level and then some and then some more on top of that. So if this guy has surpassed Dan's Mad Dog 3.2, then that would be news for me and to a lot of people on Head-Fi. There is always that 1% chance of something like this happening, where this guy has come up with something genius that no one could have ever imagined, so I won't rule it out completely. But the most likely thing is that he just doesn't hear things the way I do.


Edited by M-13 - 1/25/14 at 2:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520