or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 46

post #676 of 2340

I have not found a FR and impedance Graph for this HP. Someone could help?

tks

post #677 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

 

It will peel eventually, so you might as well shorten the wait :atsmile:

But why do it now? If you wait a year, it'll almost be like you got a new headphone :p

post #678 of 2340

Shure earpads.

I'm surprised! I acquired some Shure earpads to try with the 7520, just like others in this thread have done before me.

I got the Shure SRH-840 (fake leather) and the SRH-1840 (velour, also used on the Shure SRH-940).

 

I was shocked. With both Shure sets, I experienced HEAVY sibilance, most easily heard on vocal esses and cymbals. I was like... What the hey? How is this possible? Switching back to the original Sony pads the sibilance was gone. Everything was back to normal as by magic.

 

After some initial panicing, I found out just how important correct fit is and why I personally experienced the sibilance. The Shure pads have a larger inner space front to back (46mm) compared to the original Sony pads (39mm). It leaves a lot of room for my ear front to back. Because of this, with the larger Shure pads, I can wear the headphones over quite a large area (front to back) and still fit the entire ear inside the pad. When worn naturally with the Shure pads centered over my ears, I find the sibilance unbearably present. When pushing the headphones towards the back of my head, and also a bit upwards (by tightening the headband), the sibilance and the treble returns to normal just like with the original Sony pads. In this back-and-up position, I can clearly feel the pads sitting tight against the front and bottom of my ear. Not overly unpleasant but very much noticable.

 

The difference in sound between different fit is amazingly big to me and is a personal eye-opener. There are people who find the 7520 sibilant. I used to wonder why, when I personally find them not sibilant at all. But with the Shure pads, I now see a possible explanation. The personal fit of a pair of headphones is probably the answer to that. The shape of peoples heads, the shape of the outer-ear and inner ear, the fit. If only a few milimeters can make such a big difference, shurely fit is everything and can make or break the decision to buy a pair of headphones.

 

Other notes.

Sound.
In the good back-and-up position, I don't find the Shure pads very different sounding than the Sony pads - even with the thick foam covering the ear on the Shure pads. They might be slightly less clear due to the foam compared to the very thin mesh on the Sony pads.

 

Air-holes on the inside of the Shure pads.
There are 5-6 small holes on the inside of each earpad. I guess it's for air to escape when the pads are depressed (when putting on the headphones). I tried covering all the holes with tape to see if it would change the sound. No audible change was noticed.

 

Comfort.
The Shure velour pads are very pleasant to wear over a long period of time and they do indeed clear my ears better than the Sony pads due to more depth. No soreness.

 

The slightly annoying fact.
The Sony pads are a better more natural fit. They just need a little more depth, gawdammit! :veryevil: 


Edited by jackson1 - 1/21/14 at 10:48am
post #679 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

Shure earpads.

I'm surprised! I acquired some Shure earpads to try with the 7520, just like others in this thread have done before me.

I got the Shure SRH-840 (fake leather) and the SRH-1840 (velour, also used on the Shure SRH-940).

 

I was shocked. With both Shure sets, I experienced HEAVY sibilance, most easily heard on vocal esses and cymbals. I was like... What the hey? How is this possible? Switching back to the original Sony pads the sibilance was gone. Everything was back to normal as by magic.

 

After some initial panicing, I found out just how important correct fit is and why I personally experienced the sibilance. The Shure pads have a larger inner space front to back (46mm) compared to the original Sony pads (39mm). It leaves a lot of room for my ear front to back. Because of this, with the larger Shure pads, I can wear the headphones over quite a large area (front to back) and still fit the entire ear inside the pad. When worn naturally with the Shure pads centered over my ears, I find the sibilance unbearably present. When pushing the headphones towards the back of my head, and also a bit upwards (by tightening the headband), the sibilance and the treble returns to normal just like with the original Sony pads. In this back-and-up position, I can clearly feel the pads sitting tight against the front and bottom of my ear. Not overly unpleasant but very much noticable.

 

The difference in sound between different fit is amazingly big to me and is a personal eye-opener. There are people who find the 7520 sibilant. I used to wonder why, when I personally find them not sibilant at all. But with the Shure pads, I now see a possible explanation. The personal fit of a pair of headphones is probably the answer to that. The shape of peoples heads, the shape of the outer-ear and inner ear, the fit. If only a few milimeters can make such a big difference, shurely fit is everything and can make or break the decision to buy a pair of headphones.

 

Other notes.

Sound.
In the good back-and-up position, I don't find the Shure pads very different sounding than the Sony pads - even with the thick foam covering the ear on the Shure pads. They might be slightly less clear due to the foam compared to the very thin mesh on the Sony pads.

 

Air-holes on the inside of the Shure pads.
There are 5-6 small holes on the inside of each earpad. I guess it's for air to escape when the pads are depressed (when putting on the headphones). I tried covering all the holes with tape to see if it would change the sound. No audible change was noticed.

 

Comfort.
The Shure velour pads are very pleasant to wear over a long period of time and they do indeed clear my ears better than the Sony pads due to more depth. No soreness.

 

The slightly annoying fact.
The Sony pads are a better more natural fit. They just need a little more depth, gawdammit! :veryevil: 

 

I noticed the sibilance was reduced after I cut out the filter/driver cover and replaced it with a piece of fabric I cut out from one of my old hiking t-shirts. Somehow the highs sounded a bit crisper after I replaced the fabric. Could be just my imagination though. And well, positioning would make a difference I suppose, since the waves will be reflected differently into your ear-canal.

 

What do you think of the bass response of the 840 vs. the 1840 vs. the Sony stock pads?

post #680 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
What do you think of the bass response of the 840 vs. the 1840 vs. the Sony stock pads?

 

It's tough for me to discern. As you know it takes minutes to change pads. That's a long time with regards to sound-memory. I need more tests and more time to really be sure of any difference and what they are.

 

For now, bass response compared to the original Sony pads I'd say:

 

840 (leather):

Quite similar in character, maybe slightly less impact/punch due to a slightly stiffer/coarse "leather" thus 0.1% more open.

 

1840 (velour):

Slightly less sub bass, sounds like an earlier cut off in the really low region, again maybe slightly less impact/punch due to more air escapes. I don't find them more muddy or wooley.

 

I might change my mind down the road :smile_phones:

post #681 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 
I noticed the sibilance was reduced after I cut out the filter/driver cover and replaced it with a piece of fabric I cut out from one of my old hiking t-shirts. Somehow the highs sounded a bit crisper after I replaced the fabric. Could be just my imagination though.

 

Less sibilance when removing the foam seems contradictory at first, but maybe perception of sibilance changes when the treble is better balanced.

But the sibilance I'm hearing with the Shure's isn't in the imagination department - it's huge.

post #682 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

 

Less sibilance when removing the foam seems contradictory at first, but maybe perception of sibilance changes when the treble is better balanced.

But the sibilance I'm hearing with the Shure's isn't in the imagination department - it's huge.

Yeah, to me it sounded like the foam filter/driver cover 'smeared' out the highs a bit, whereas the cloth I installed barely does any filtering at all, kind of like the driver cover used in the stock Sony pads (although this cloth filters a little bit more than the stock pads).

post #683 of 2340

Today I have played a little with the original pads,

stuffing them with toilet paper to increase the distance between the HP and my ears.

 

Here are my conclusions:

With C shaped stuffing of about 1cm in height to the rear of the cups, 

the result was a bit less impact in bass response, voices lost their natural timbre and became a bit sibilant, more trebly. 

The sibilance is due to the widen angle of the drivers,the widers it goes the more sibilance effect occurs.

It did however increase the soundstage and made the overall sound a bit leaner which was quite pleasant on some tracks.

But overall I prefer my bass tight. 

 

Although the upper part of my right ear is barely touching the grill causing a tiny bit of discomfort after long sessions, I am not sure I want to switch my pads...

only time will tell

 

By the way I have also been running the the Sony from my rockboxed clip zip and they sound fantastic.

 

I want to thank you headfi members for introducing me to these very good pair of Headphones.

post #684 of 2340

My pads are broken in nicely. They're really soft now and provide awesome  sealing. I'm wondering if this has brought the drivers closer to my ears and thus my positive impression of them, including the bass. The driver housing rests against my ears, but this doesn't result in any discomfort. I can listen for hours and hours without any fatigue. So I guess I'm blessed, my ears must be numb to contact or something. Haha.

 

I'm listening to Aloe Blacc, "the man" right now. it's the song they use to advertise Beat Studio Wireless on TV with Kevin Garnett, haha. I'm sorry to say it sounds better on the 7520. LOL.

post #685 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

My pads are broken in nicely. They're really soft now and provide awesome  sealing. I'm wondering if this has brought the drivers closer to my ears and thus my positive impression of them, including the bass. The driver housing rests against my ears, but this doesn't result in any discomfort. I can listen for hours and hours without any fatigue. So I guess I'm blessed, my ears must be numb to contact or something. Haha.

I'm listening to Aloe Blacc, "the man" right now. it's the song they use to advertise Beat Studio Wireless on TV with Kevin Garnett, haha. I'm sorry to say it sounds better on the 7520. LOL.

Your ears have probably been numbed put by these pads. I bet you anything that your ears were more sensitive before you used the 7520 ;-)
post #686 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post


Your ears have probably been numbed put by these pads. I bet you anything that your ears were more sensitive before you used the 7520 ;-)


Hahaha. ROFL. :veryevil:  Yeah guys instead of getting new pads, just fight through the pain you can get there. I did.  It's called nerve damage. ;)

post #687 of 2340

Dear fellow 7520 brothers.

 

So my Focal Spirit Pro arrived today

 

My initial impression:

 

1. More neutral than the 7520 / more neutral than the HE-500, the most neutral headphone I've ever heard, including the HD600

 

2. It's surprisingly resolving of micro-details. Transparency is up there with the 7520.

 

In short it's totally awesome. Another hidden gem / diamond in the rough. It's got amazing balance/coherence.

 

I'm burning them in and will do a more in depth comparison with the 7520 in a few days.

 

I will be starting a Spirit Pro Appreciation Thread soon, cuz Wow...

post #688 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Dear fellow 7520 brothers.

 

So my Focal Spirit Pro arrived today

 

My initial impression:

 

1. More neutral than the 7520 / more neutral than the HE-500, the most neutral headphone I've ever heard, including the HD600

 

2. It's surprisingly resolving of micro-details. Transparency is up there with the 7520.

 

In short it's totally awesome. Another hidden gem / diamond in the rough. It's got amazing balance/coherence.

 

Ahhhh....you're hearing what I've been hearing :D

 

Enjoy' em!

post #689 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Ahhhh....you're hearing what I've been hearing :D

 

Enjoy' em!


And you haven't been shouting this from the mountain tops??? Haha. Yeah they're amazing, truly. I've found "the one". and I think my search is over.

 

Come join the Appreciation Society I started. LOL. :atsmile:

post #690 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Dear fellow 7520 brothers.

 

So my Focal Spirit Pro arrived today

 

My initial impression:

 

1. More neutral than the 7520 / more neutral than the HE-500, the most neutral headphone I've ever heard, including the HD600

 

2. It's surprisingly resolving of micro-details. Transparency is up there with the 7520.

 

In short it's totally awesome. Another hidden gem / diamond in the rough. It's got amazing balance/coherence.

 

I'm burning them in and will do a more in depth comparison with the 7520 in a few days.

 

I will be starting a Spirit Pro Appreciation Thread soon, cuz Wow...

How is the fit, are ear cups really that small as some say. Are they truly circumaural, how is the comfort comparing to 7520 and MDR-1R?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520