or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 44

post #646 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

So during my lunch time. I walked over to the Apple Store, 2nd time this week, with my X3 + 7520 to compare it to the P7, H6, and even the Beats Studio.

 

7520 curb-stomped all of them with ease. LOL. I gave each one a long good listen with multiple tracks, making sure to check the fit and seal. I didn't want to not give them a fair chance at it.

 

I sort of hesitated posting of my 1st walk over, because I wanted to give all three of them a chance once more, but thought I would share this time. Keep in mind though that the Apple Store during lunch time isn't exactly the quietest place.

 

Funny thing, but true is that the Beats Studio sounded better than the P7, and H6. Overall that is. There were things the P7 did better but overall the Beats won. Which is just really sad...

Did you try Beats Pro and compare it with MDR-7520?

Some said Beats Pro sounds the best among the Beats Headphones.

post #647 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannkind246 View Post
 

Did you try Beats Pro and compare it with MDR-7520?

Some said Beats Pro sounds the best among the Beats Headphones.


Nah, Beats Pro sucks. Haha. Sorry that's just an opinion of mine. (although, not as badly as their old studio or solo)

 

The new studios sound pretty good. If they were $150 I would actually recommend them to people. They're actually competitive or "average" in the $200 category IMO, but unfortunately they are $300.

 

They actually have great synergy with the X3, which is very odd and surprising...

post #648 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Wow, I am so glad that we all hear differently...:eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

As I said, I'm glad that I don't hear things the way you seem to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

That Beats thing really rattled me. I was just imaging only having Beats "cans" in my profile and living happily ever after. Truly frightening :D

No offense meant Beagle. But I was wondering, have you heard the new Studios with the X3 player? If you have my apologies, but if not, then we're not hearing the same thing are we? :D After spending some time on Head-Fi, my conclusion is that we all hear the same (despite egomaniacs who think they have golden bat ears). Arguments usually happen because of different gear or songs/ and or experience evaluating gear. Normally, I might suspect a lack of experience, but anyone who's been here as long as you should hear exactly the same as me (IMO of course). In fact call me up and next time we can take our lunch walk over together. Haha.


Edited by M-13 - 1/17/14 at 10:57am
post #649 of 2340

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) we don't all hear the same! For one thing, age is a big factor. As a matter of fact, I once had 'golden bar ears' (I could hear bats!) when I was about 16. I've been a professional musician all my life and I'm now 50. Bats don't bother me anymore.....................


Edited by Mike F - 1/17/14 at 12:45pm
post #650 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
 

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) we don't all hear the same! For one thing, age is a big factor. As a matter of fact, I once had 'golden bar ears' (I could hear bats!) when I was about 16. I've been a professional musician all my life and I'm now 50. Bats don't bother me anymore.....................


Well... hearing loss is whole other issue. I guess you are one of the egomaniacs I was talking about. LOL. No offense meant of course. ;) Oh, and when I said bat hearing, I didn't mean actually hearing bats (we all can when it's loud enough) I was talking about how they can hear/feel ultrasonic frequencies that humans don't hear. What people forget to do when they do high frequency tests is to make sure to listen at normal db. If you crank up the high frequency to loud volumes everyone can hear it.

 

Humor me with this analogy:

 

I was thinking. If I go somewhere and I compare a bunch of TV sets, for clarity, contrast, color saturation accuracy. Almost everyone will see the exact same thing but disagree about rankings for TVs, about which is better. It doesn't mean some people have special eye sight. Just like nobody has special hearing. We all hear the exact same thing. Whatever you think you can hear that others can't, point it out for them in the mix and see if they still can't hear it. They will hear it, unless they have hearing loss or you indeed have superhuman hearing that nobody else has.

 

Also, I'm wondering if being able to hear frequency extremes actually has any corrolation at all to hearing music which exists almost entirely within the audible range for normal people.


Edited by M-13 - 1/17/14 at 1:22pm
post #651 of 2340

duration is important as is volume, the higher the frequency the less duration and less space that frequency needs to coalesce. which is why these headphones sound so good even in smallish ported cup. in a sense they have more intelligence then other headphones with regard to there musical performance.

post #652 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Well... hearing loss is whole other issue. I guess you are one of the egomaniacs I was talking about. LOL. No offense meant of course. ;) Oh, and when I said bat hearing, I didn't mean actually hearing bats (we all can when it's loud enough) I was talking about how they can hear/feel ultrasonic frequencies that humans don't hear. What people forget to do when they do high frequency tests is to make sure to listen at normal db. If you crank up the high frequency to loud volumes everyone can hear it.

 

Humor me with this analogy:

 

I was thinking. If I go somewhere and I compare a bunch of TV sets, for clarity, contrast, color saturation accuracy. Almost everyone will see the exact same thing but disagree about rankings for TVs, about which is better. It doesn't mean some people have special eye sight. Just like nobody has special hearing. We all hear the exact same thing. Whatever you think you can hear that others can't, point it out for them in the mix and see if they still can't hear it. They will hear it, unless they have hearing loss or you indeed have superhuman hearing that nobody else has.

 

Also, I'm wondering if being able to hear frequency extremes actually has any corrolation at all to hearing music which exists almost entirely within the audible range for normal people.

 

I was only joking about having 'golden bat ears'! I don't want to argue with you, and I understand the point you're making and appreciate your analogy, but I have to respectfully disagree that we all hear the same. I think that our hearing is probably more different one to another than our sight. We all have different size and shape ears, and the way our outer ear channels sound waves into our inner ear surely makes a difference to the way we hear. Have you ever sat in front of some good monitors and lifted the back of you ear slightly to change the shape of your outer ear. The difference in the perceived sound is quite noticable. We all get used to and adapt to the way we hear, but that doesn't mean that we all hear the same way. Surely, the fact that people disagree about how a particular headphone sounds is evidence enough of that. Why else would one person find a high frequency spike in a headphones FR annoying and another person find no issue with the same headphone? Yes, for sure, a lot of it is just a matter of taste, but not all. Just think again about the physical differences between peoples outer ears - I'm not talking about differences in the inner ear.

 

And with regard to hearing loss, have a look at this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcbppCX6Rk

 

Regardless of whether that test is working properly or not, you can see how early we start to loose our hearing. So, unless you're 18 (and haven't bashed your ears listening at high volumes on headphones..........!) you probably have some hearing loss. It's only a question of how much! ;) I do totally agree with your last point though!

 

But we probably have to agree to disagree about this. Hope you're still enjoying the 7520's as much as I am! :)

post #653 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
 

 

I was only joking about having 'golden bat ears'! I don't want to argue with you, and I understand the point you're making and appreciate your analogy, but I have to respectfully disagree that we all hear the same. I think that our hearing is probably more different one to another than our sight. We all have different size and shape ears, and the way our outer ear channels sound waves into our inner ear surely makes a difference to the way we hear. Have you ever sat in front of some good monitors and lifted the back of you ear slightly to change the shape of your outer ear. The difference in the perceived sound is quite noticable. We all get used to and adapt to the way we hear, but that doesn't mean that we all hear the same way. Surely, the fact that people disagree about how a particular headphone sounds is evidence enough of that. Why else would one person find a high frequency spike in a headphones FR annoying and another person find no issue with the same headphone? Yes, for sure, a lot of it is just a matter of taste, but not all. Just think again about the physical differences between peoples outer ears - I'm not talking about differences in the inner ear.

 

And with regard to hearing loss, have a look at this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcbppCX6Rk

 

Regardless of whether that test is working properly or not, you can see how early we start to loose our hearing. So, unless you're 18 (and haven't bashed your ears listening at high volumes on headphones..........!) you probably have some hearing loss. It's only a question of how much! ;) I do totally agree with your last point though!

 

But we probably have to agree to disagree about this. Hope you're still enjoying the 7520's as much as I am! :)


Sorry Mike. I guess I didn't have my afternoon coffee or something. I've been arguing all over these forums today. :o I don't mean to be argumentative either and you bring up some nice points. The whole changing the shape of your ears in front of good monitors is very interesting. Hope to try that someday when I can build my own home studio.

 

What's cool is that we both enjoy our 7520, even though we might be hearing them differently. Some day when we have brain stem to brain stem sync ability I'll be able to hear what you hear. :atsmile:

post #654 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
 

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) we don't all hear the same! For one thing, age is a big factor. As a matter of fact, I once had 'golden bar ears' (I could hear bats!) when I was about 16. I've been a professional musician all my life and I'm now 50. Bats don't bother me anymore.....................

 

I think my hearing is the same as it's always been (up to about 16k) but I think due to time and being exposed to so much information over time, the brain is not interpreting what we hear in the same manner that it used to. We now "know too much" and question ourselves more than we used to, when music was so fun and ignorance was bliss.

post #655 of 2340

No need to argue about whether and how we all hear differently, since you can actually measure it with tiny probe mikes. Reminds me of a similar discussion we had on the portables forum some time ago, see my posts here and here if you're interested.

 

Bottom line, measured frequency response at ear drum level may show significant variation across individuals. The variation can be pretty high with some phones and less so with others, most likely because fit plays a vital role too. But in general these measurements demonstrate that we all do indeed hear things quite differently. :smile_phones: 

post #656 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Sorry Mike. I guess I didn't have my afternoon coffee or something. I've been arguing all over these forums today. :o I don't mean to be argumentative either and you bring up some nice points. The whole changing the shape of your ears in front of good monitors is very interesting. Hope to try that someday when I can build my own home studio.

 

What's cool is that we both enjoy our 7520, even though we might be hearing them differently. Some day when we have brain stem to brain stem sync ability I'll be able to hear what you hear. :atsmile:

 

M-13, we're cool!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

I think my hearing is the same as it's always been (up to about 16k) but I think due to time and being exposed to so much information over time, the brain is not interpreting what we hear in the same manner that it used to. We now "know too much" and question ourselves more than we used to, when music was so fun and ignorance was bliss.

 

Possibly, but see below!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

No need to argue about whether and how we all hear differently, since you can actually measure it with tiny probe mikes. Reminds me of a similar discussion we had on the portables forum some time ago, see my posts here and here if you're interested.

 

Bottom line, measured frequency response at ear drum level may show significant variation across individuals. The variation can be pretty high with some phones and less so with others, most likely because fit plays a vital role too. But in general these measurements demonstrate that we all do indeed hear things quite differently. :smile_phones: 

 

Thank you James. I meant to say that I've had several hearing tests in recent years which accurately measure the threshold of hearing at various frequencies. My hearing is not flat, but according to several audiologists nobody's hearing is flat, and even between young people there are differences person to person, so we simply don't hear the same. This isn't a brain function, it's to do with what the ear is sending to the brain. Tinnitus and hyperacusis however are brain functions.

post #657 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Well... hearing loss is whole other issue. I guess you are one of the egomaniacs I was talking about. LOL. No offense meant of course. ;) Oh, and when I said bat hearing, I didn't mean actually hearing bats (we all can when it's loud enough) I was talking about how they can hear/feel ultrasonic frequencies that humans don't hear. What people forget to do when they do high frequency tests is to make sure to listen at normal db. If you crank up the high frequency to loud volumes everyone can hear it.

 

Humor me with this analogy:

 

I was thinking. If I go somewhere and I compare a bunch of TV sets, for clarity, contrast, color saturation accuracy. Almost everyone will see the exact same thing but disagree about rankings for TVs, about which is better. It doesn't mean some people have special eye sight. Just like nobody has special hearing. We all hear the exact same thing. Whatever you think you can hear that others can't, point it out for them in the mix and see if they still can't hear it. They will hear it, unless they have hearing loss or you indeed have superhuman hearing that nobody else has.

 

Also, I'm wondering if being able to hear frequency extremes actually has any corrolation at all to hearing music which exists almost entirely within the audible range for normal people.

Brilliant analogy with the TV sets.  

 

Now if you add in education on what a proper tv picture SHOULD look like we may not have tons of people using their TVs with the factory "cartoon like, over saturated, burning retina, 100% on brightness, picture, and contrast, it llooks so impressive, int he store" settings.

 

Same thing with sound, we need to pay attention to educating ourselves on hearing what the instruments SHOULD sound like and perhaps we will not have a bunch of lemmings jumping off cliffs for the new FOTM, rap star approved, or designer headphones.

 

However at the end of the day, "whatever blows your skirt up" as the sage Scottsman once said!

post #658 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
 

 

I was only joking about having 'golden bat ears'! I don't want to argue with you, and I understand the point you're making and appreciate your analogy, but I have to respectfully disagree that we all hear the same. I think that our hearing is probably more different one to another than our sight. We all have different size and shape ears, and the way our outer ear channels sound waves into our inner ear surely makes a difference to the way we hear. Have you ever sat in front of some good monitors and lifted the back of you ear slightly to change the shape of your outer ear. The difference in the perceived sound is quite noticable. We all get used to and adapt to the way we hear, but that doesn't mean that we all hear the same way. Surely, the fact that people disagree about how a particular headphone sounds is evidence enough of that. Why else would one person find a high frequency spike in a headphones FR annoying and another person find no issue with the same headphone? Yes, for sure, a lot of it is just a matter of taste, but not all. Just think again about the physical differences between peoples outer ears - I'm not talking about differences in the inner ear.

 

And with regard to hearing loss, have a look at this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcbppCX6Rk

 

Regardless of whether that test is working properly or not, you can see how early we start to loose our hearing. So, unless you're 18 (and haven't bashed your ears listening at high volumes on headphones..........!) you probably have some hearing loss. It's only a question of how much! ;) I do totally agree with your last point though!

 

But we probably have to agree to disagree about this. Hope you're still enjoying the 7520's as much as I am! :)

Another Brilliant point.  Not only is the outer ear shaped differently and a contributor to the eventual sound you hear with speakers, the inner ear is as well.  That is one of the MAIN reasons a peak can bother some and not others.  It has to do with the resonant peaks created by the individual shape of the ear canal coupled with any existing peak in the HP freq. response.  And we all have some form of resonance.

 

I do not have the link handy but for a good discussion of it and what one writer did, you can read the link on my blog about the equalizer program.  In it, I linked the discussion by a very sharp headfier and an audio luminary and how they both discovered their own resonance and corrected for it with very good results.

 

Blog link in my signature below.

post #659 of 2340
Got my 7520's this past week. They are awesome so far. Haven't had much time on them but from what I've heard they will definitely be in my stable for a long time.

As a side note I've only been able to play them with my asus laptop and my ipad. Same mp3's and all yet the ipad sounds better.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #660 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazenways View Post

Got my 7520's this past week. They are awesome so far. Haven't had much time on them but from what I've heard they will definitely be in my stable for a long time.

As a side note I've only been able to play them with my asus laptop and my ipad. Same mp3's and all yet the ipad sounds better.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Congrats man! Welcome to the 7520 family. Indeed these are keepers and are very awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520