or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 22

post #316 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 


Uh-oh, not good. (removing finger from buy it now button) :p


Why? Because of what I said about comfort? Or because of what I said about the SQ?

 

If it's comfort, take that with a grain of salt as I apparently have a very picky head/ears. If it's sound, wait a few days as my impressions tend to change over time (either because of burn-in or me warming up to the headphone).

 

Edit: just for fun, I ordered a pair of Shure 1840 pads for the 7520, to see how it'll sound with that. Since it's velour, it will probably absorb most of the soundwaves caused by reverberation, giving it an overall more dry sound. I'm not exactly sure, but now that I'm comparing the 7520 (with 840 pads) to the 1540, I'm noticing a quality in the bass of the 7520 which makes it seem slightly emphasized. I will of course also install the stock 7520 pads later and compare with that.

 

But since the 1540 and 1840 are essentially the same size and the 1540 pads fit the 7520, I wanted to try out the 1840 pads as well. They'll probably arrive next week.


Edited by starfly - 12/4/13 at 10:37am
post #317 of 2340

Shouldn't you get 940 pads, not 1840

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

post #318 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Shouldn't you get 940 pads, not 1840

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The 1840 pads work just as good. And I remember trying the 1840 in a store and I immediately found them very comfortable.

post #319 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Shouldn't you get 940 pads, not 1840

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The 1840 pads work just as good. And I remember trying the 1840 in a store and I immediately found them very comfortable.


1840 are open phones and 940 closed like 7520. Mixing pads from open and closed phones is usually not the best idea. Never worked on Beyers.

But you mentioned earlier that 840 pads have thicker fabric that does affect the sound. I would guess 940 is the same way, just velour instead of pleather. Is 1840 mesh fabric different?

 

EDIT: Guess not, looks thick on the pic


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/4/13 at 3:18pm
post #320 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 


Okay, one thing I can already say is that I'm probably not going to keep them: comfort :( They have this weird fit where they don't completely cover my ear. This is because the earcups don't extend down far enough, and they extend down at a weird angle instead of straight down. The alcantara pads themselves are quite comfortable though, nice and plush and soft. Wonder how they would feel on the 7520 (which I'll try later of course :D).

 

Soundwise, the main difference I'm hearing so far is again the clarity of the 7520. The 1540 sounds slightly veiled compared to the 7520, especially in the highs. And the 1540 is missing that last bit of detail that the 7520 provides (which also give the 7520 that analytical quality). I can see why a lot of people like the 1540 though, the sound is 'smooth' and 'easy', not offensive. There is barely any sibilance if at all, whereas you hear sibilance regularly on the 7520. So the 1540 is quite a polite headphone to listen to.

 

In terms of soundstage, I'm honestly not really hearing a big difference yet between the 1540 and 7520. But I'll of course listen to them more closely in the coming days and make up my mind about this 1540. The real test of comfort is how long I can wear them without having to fidget with them.

 

:confused_face_2:

 

I hear the exact opposite...

post #321 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

:confused_face_2:

 

I hear the exact opposite...

Hahaha, sound is in the ear of the beholder?

 

I'll revisit this comparison in a few days. Need to give things a closer listen :) And also need to let the 1540 burn in a bit more. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to return them anyway, the 1540 doesn't really fit the shape of my head very well. Too bad... I do think it has a pleasant sound signature. They just sound different from the 7520.

 

One thing I did notice with the bass is that 7520 bass sounds a bit more forward compared to the 1540. I think the 7520 has a mid to upper-mid bass hump? On the other hand, the 7520 also seems to reach deeper in terms of sub-bass. I tested this by listening to the first track on the Dark Knight OST at around 3:20 where a deep sub-bass part begins. That part seems to have a bit more definition on the 7520 vs. the 1540, but I felt like I could also discern a bit more detail.

 

And one last thing, the 7520 is easier to drive than the 1540. I have to crank up the volume each time I put on the 1540.

post #322 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 


1840 are open phones and 940 closed like 7520. Mixing pads from open and closed phones is usually not the best idea. Never worked on Beyers.

But you mentioned earlier that 840 pads have thicker fabric that does affect the sound. I would guess 940 is the same way, just velour instead of pleather. Is 1840 mesh fabric different?

 

EDIT: Guess not, looks thick on the pic

 

Yeah, when I tried them in a store it seemed pretty thick. Shouldn't be a problem om the 7520. And if the driver covering is too thick and muffles the highs a bit, I'll do the same mod to this pad as I did with the 840 pads.

post #323 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

Hahaha, sound is in the ear of the beholder?

 

I'll revisit this comparison in a few days. Need to give things a closer listen :) And also need to let the 1540 burn in a bit more. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to return them anyway, the 1540 doesn't really fit the shape of my head very well. Too bad... I do think it has a pleasant sound signature. They just sound different from the 7520.

 

One thing I did notice with the bass is that 7520 bass sounds a bit more forward compared to the 1540. I think the 7520 has a mid to upper-mid bass hump? On the other hand, the 7520 also seems to reach deeper in terms of sub-bass. I tested this by listening to the first track on the Dark Knight OST at around 3:20 where a deep sub-bass part begins. That part seems to have a bit more definition on the 7520 vs. the 1540, but I felt like I could also discern a bit more detail.

 

And one last thing, the 7520 is easier to drive than the 1540. I have to crank up the volume each time I put on the 1540.

 

Agree there.

 

I was certain you would find the 1540 more open and clear than the 7520....I just found more of a sense of "air in between" on the 1540. On the other hand, the 7520 has a tighter, more 'musical' image .

post #324 of 2340
What do you guys use comparing two, portable or desktop setup?
post #325 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

I like bass heavy phones and these are still to my ears slightly north of neutral. But that is comparing them to what most others call neutral bass. To me it is accurate. The 7520 is my personal definition of neutral, but not neutral to most people here so I agree with beagle. The do behave according to the track as well.

 

They are amazing headphones but I have to admit, after auditioning the jvc dx700 it is hard to go back to the MDRs. They started to sound boxed in and unnatural, though wayyy more balanced than the jvc's these two are the best closed hp's I have heard to date.

 

But $540.00 vs $348.00 (on Amazon at the moment)...

post #326 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

What do you guys use comparing two, portable or desktop setup?

 

both

 

they're easy to drive, another point in their favor - not that they need another

post #327 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

What do you guys use comparing two, portable or desktop setup?

 

both

 

they're easy to drive, another point in their favor - not that they need another


Sorry, my question was about 1540 vs 7520 comparison. Did you compare both as well?

post #328 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

But $540.00 vs $348.00 (on Amazon at the moment)...

we'll... what you pay for is a matter of preference. I can make a list of why it is worth the jump and then later make another of why its not. They are that different. And it's worth it to me because I prefer them to the lcd2 in a lot of ways. They are not better by any means. 

 

Preference


Edited by grizzlybeast - 12/4/13 at 9:03pm
post #329 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 


Sorry, my question was about 1540 vs 7520 comparison. Did you compare both as well?

 

Sorry on this end as well, I thought you were referring only to the type of amps --

I"ve not heard the Shure 1540's. (Only the 840's and 940's, and I recognize that

the 1540's are an entirely different proposition.  Should be, anyway.)

post #330 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Agree there.

 

I was certain you would find the 1540 more open and clear than the 7520....I just found more of a sense of "air in between" on the 1540. On the other hand, the 7520 has a tighter, more 'musical' image .


I do find the sound of the 1540 to be a bit more open than the 7520, so I agree with you there. It certainly has a wider soundstage than the 7520. But I don't think it necessarily sounds clearer per se though. Each time I put on the 7520, after having listened to the 1540, I just seem to hear 'more'. That's the best way I can describe it.

 

I will do a detailed A/B comparison tonight and then I'll return the 1540 tomorrow. It's just not comfortable enough and so far I overall prefer the sound signature of the 7520 to the 1540. The 1540 does have nice mids and the sound is a bit more laid back, but I don't mind the analytical quality of the 7520. I guess it's partially because I've listened to the Shure SE530 IEM for 4 years and that also has that laid back quality, so I like the contrast with the 7520. The 1540 sounds a lot closer to the SE530 than it does to the 7520. And also given the price of the 1540, I just don't think it's worth it. Still think it's strange the headphone was physically designed the way it was, with that odd shape and angle. The bottom part of the pads get squished against my jaw, whereas the top parts barely touch my head, such a weird angle. Would be better if 1) the cups would extend down further and 2) they could vertically swivel a bit more so that I could actually have them flat against the side of my head, instead of at an angle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520