Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 15

post #211 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post
 

I have one which has probably had at least 6 hours use a day for more than a year

 

With all this use, how are the pads and headband holding up with regards to 1) flaking and 2) compression / deformation? I ask because of history with fake leather and the below picture from an online auction. Of course, they could have been mistreated somehow:

 

post #212 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post
 

(for some reason they were removed from the European market)

 

I can't verify this, but I've read that:

 

Sony have been forced to withdraw their excellent Professional series MDR-7520 headphones from sale in Europe because they don't pass the European safety regulations due to their high efficiency, power handling and attainable SPL.

 

Source: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=head&m=1970

post #213 of 1668

I have scanned the awkward sized Service Manual for the Sony MDR-7520 and put it into a PDF document. Much more handy to have it available on the computer. There is a perfect exploded view of the phones. But I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it. Anyone interested and is it okay to post?

post #214 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

I have scanned the awkward sized Service Manual for the Sony MDR-7520 and put it into a PDF document. Much more handy to have it available on the computer. There is a perfect exploded view of the phones. But I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it. Anyone interested and is it okay to post?


Absolutely, but isn't it hosted online already

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDR7520&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

post #215 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 


Absolutely, but isn't it hosted online already

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDR7520&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

 

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Service Manual on the page you linked.

post #216 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

With all this use, how are the pads and headband holding up with regards to 1) flaking and 2) compression / deformation? I ask because of history with fake leather and the below picture from an online auction. Of course, they could have been mistreated somehow:

 

It's definitely not all cracked and peeling like that appears to be. Sony have used a much softer and thicker material than most fake leathers, rather than that thin wrinkled stuff you get on really cheap headphones, so I have not been concerned about it flaking off like that.

 

I do regularly give them a wipe down to prevent oils building up on them - perhaps that was the problem with those, or being otherwise mistreated?

I have always preferred genuine leather when it's an option though.

post #217 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 


Absolutely, but isn't it hosted online already

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDR7520&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

 

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Service Manual on the page you linked.


My bad, LOL, sure host it and post the link, I am sure everyone will appreciate it.  I don't think attachments on this board work anymore,

Thanks.

post #218 of 1668
post #219 of 1668

On the subject of burn-in, I got around to testing my brand new pair against the 7520's I've been using for 6+ hours a day (as much as twice that sometimes) for more than a year.

I have to say I was surprised, because right when I bought them I did open the box up and do a similar test, found that they were almost the same, and then sealed them up again.


There is definitely a difference between the two now. Bass on the unused pair seemed "muddy". The bass extension was similar, but the unused pair sounded sluggish in comparison to the well used 7520.

Treble seemed veiled on the unused pair as well - it's not that there's more treble with the worn-in 7520, there's just more clarity with them.

 

So whatever the reason is, whether it's the pads being used for a year or something else, there's clearly a been a change with them, and I would definitely say it's for the better.

As for the materials, the padding seems to have held up well, and while the foam is a big firmer in the new pair, they're still about the same thickness. Actually, because I give them a wipe and fluff up the padding every week or two the used pair was slightly thicker than the new pair, because the pads have been pressed against each other for a year inside the box.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

I can't verify this, but I've read that:

 

Sony have been forced to withdraw their excellent Professional series MDR-7520 headphones from sale in Europe because they don't pass the European safety regulations due to their high efficiency, power handling and attainable SPL.

 

Source: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=head&m=1970

 

That definitely sounds like a one of those stupid European laws. "Sorry, we have to ban your headphones, they're too efficient."

Their high efficiency and high power handling is what makes them great.

post #220 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post
 

That definitely sounds like a one of those stupid European laws. "Sorry, we have to ban your headphones, they're too efficient."

Their high efficiency and high power handling is what makes them great.

 

Yes, but then you could damage your hearing more easily, and since you're a 5-year old we have to protect you. Now be nice and go to bed.

post #221 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post
 

 

That definitely sounds like a one of those stupid European laws. "Sorry, we have to ban your headphones, they're too efficient."

Their high efficiency and high power handling is what makes them great.

Yes, Europe, the land where they even tell you what color underwear to wear.

post #222 of 1668

So, I decided to mod the 840 pads. I felt like the foam driver covering was filtering the sound too much. So just now I replaced one of the foam covers with a very thin piece of cloth (a cut out from a hiking t-shirt) and it seems to make a slight difference. It doesn't smear out the highs as much and now they sound more like the stock pads when it comes to the highs. Will modify the other pad later today.

post #223 of 1668
Quote:

Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post

On the subject of burn-in, I got around to testing my brand new pair against the 7520's I've been using for 6+ hours a day

 

That's a rare opportunity to A/B test the burn-in effect!

 

Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post

There is definitely a difference between the two now. Bass on the unused pair seemed "muddy". The bass extension was similar, but the unused pair sounded sluggish in comparison to the well used 7520.

Treble seemed veiled on the unused pair as well - it's not that there's more treble with the worn-in 7520, there's just more clarity with them.

 

I'm glad this is more or less a confirmation of my own findings stated earlier in the thread. Thanks for going out of your way to test it.

post #224 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

So, I decided to mod the 840 pads. I felt like the foam driver covering was filtering the sound too much. So just now I replaced one of the foam covers with a very thin piece of cloth (a cut out from a hiking t-shirt) and it seems to make a slight difference. It doesn't smear out the highs as much and now they sound more like the stock pads when it comes to the highs. Will modify the other pad later today.

So, I completed the mod on the other pad and it appears that the clarity has improved a bit, about as good as the stock pad. The filtering isn't nearly as bad as the foam driver covers that the 840 pads use. Now the highs come through more clearly.

 

So either way, using these 840 pads the drivers are placed slightly farther away from your ears than with the stock pads (the 840 pads are a bit thicker), so this seems to increase the soundstage ever so slightly. The bass has become slightly more pronounced as well I think, but on the part of the bass I need to find a good bass test track in my music collection and then a/b between the stock pads and these 840 pads (with my mod). The bass with these 840 pads certainly isn't as boomy as when I first inserted cotton underneath the stock pads though. So that's definitely an improvement :)

 

Anyway, will post more updates in the coming days.

 

Oh, and I'm still tempted to get the Shure 1540 to compare to the 7520. It appears it might be in stock here sometime this week after all and am quite curious to find out which one is better in terms of comfort and SQ. Will let you know if anything changes in this department.

post #225 of 1668

not that many are interested in the yamaha mt220 but I will be receiving the sony mdr 7520 today and am eager to compare the two. All I can say is that I really doubt the sony could match the bass I am hearing on the yamaha but we will see. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520