Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 94

post #1396 of 2022

I've had the 7520's for about 3 months and had to post a few thoughts about my constant satisfaction and surprise, really. I find myself looking down at the rig in front me, shaking my head in amazement.

 

I've tried a few combinations of DACs and amps, but currently using the Aune T1 with an Amperex 7308 tube, out to a C&C BH2. The Aune's USB-in is being fed from a PC with JRiver thru a Teradak USB isolator/ LPS combo, which I highly recommend for those who want to hear how good the USB chain can sound.

 

I need isolation at work, so I have also the HP50, ZMF v1 Master, and the L2, along with a few IEMs, including the V6S. The 7520 is the most enjoyable of the set. Just amazing. I do think those other cans do better with more power (I have a Portaphile 627, but miss it when it's not at home and get tired of schlepping it around), but the 7520 and IEMs with the BH2 are real nice.

 

I dig these cans. And I can wear them for long periods. A true underdog classic bargain.

 

BTW, some people have mentioned upgrading the cable. I've had good luck with the Mediabridge.

post #1397 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by head-hi View Post
 

... I find myself looking down at the rig in front me, shaking my head in amazement...

 

Like this?

 

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/warrior-of-dream/GIFS/headbanging.gif

 

http://asset-8.soup.io/asset/4286/3446_804f.gif

 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jZbX_gaIafQ/UW4VDIqfhAI/AAAAAAAAGdA/0p7L4kd6BK4/s400/bang3.gif

post #1398 of 2022

Sure.

post #1399 of 2022

Well I have been reading up and following this thread for a while now... and just couldnt resist giving myself a birthday present.... so i bit the bullet and ordered a used one from B&H today. opefully get them next week. My wife might kill me but I hope to die happy.....

 

I have the MDR-1Rs, but eventhough I like them... I just want more. My two previous headphones had deeper bass and were much cheaper... the overall sound is good, but I now understand when some people call them overrated for what they used to cost...

 

was looking at the focalspirit one, the senn HD6 and a few others in the price range... but hope that i enjoy the crap out of these.

 

Looking forward to hearing them

post #1400 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlew View Post
 

Well I have been reading up and following this thread for a while now... and just couldnt resist giving myself a birthday present.... so i bit the bullet and ordered a used one from B&H today. opefully get them next week. My wife might kill me but I hope to die happy.....

 

I have the MDR-1Rs, but eventhough I like them... I just want more. My two previous headphones had deeper bass and were much cheaper... the overall sound is good, but I now understand when some people call them overrated for what they used to cost...

 

was looking at the focalspirit one, the senn HD6 and a few others in the price range... but hope that i enjoy the crap out of these.

 

Looking forward to hearing them

I hope you'll like them. Please give us your impressions. And please know that the bass will tighten up with a bit of burn in. When they're brand new the bass can be a bit overpowering at times, but that goes away after 50-100 hours of burn-in.

post #1401 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlew View Post
 

Well I have been reading up and following this thread for a while now... and just couldn't resist giving myself a birthday present.... so i bit the bullet and ordered a used one from B&H today. Hopefully get them next week. My wife might kill me but I hope to die happy.....

 

I have the MDR-1Rs, but even though I like them... I just want more. My two previous headphones had deeper bass and were much cheaper... the overall sound is good, but I now understand when some people call them overrated for what they used to cost...

 

was looking at the focal spirit one, the senn HD6 and a few others in the price range... but hope that i enjoy the crap out of these.

 

Looking forward to hearing them

 

Ditto what starfly says above. I hope you enjoy them as much as many of us on this thread. Good luck with the wife! I had a problem with mine when she found out that I'd ordered a second pair! :eek::atsmile: 


Edited by Mike F - 6/4/14 at 1:26am
post #1402 of 2022

No second pair for me for sure.... as far as she is concerned I have three too many already.... The DT235, K81DJ and 1R.... and I cant buy the nice in ear ones cause they just dont work for me... never had one that fit well no matter the tips.... so I cant hide them...:o

 

Well I guess I will collect them and open them at work and sneak them home... but the end result might still be.....:deadhorse: 

post #1403 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlew View Post
 

No second pair for me for sure.... as far as she is concerned I have three too many already.... The DT235, K81DJ and 1R.... and I cant buy the nice in ear ones cause they just dont work for me... never had one that fit well no matter the tips.... so I cant hide them...:o

 

Well I guess I will collect them and open them at work and sneak them home... but the end result might still be.....:deadhorse: 

Hehe, how come wives have so much power over their husbands? :tongue_smile:

post #1404 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

Hehe, how come wives have so much power over their husbands? :tongue_smile:


Meow

post #1405 of 2022

starfly..... careful your wife sees your post and demonstrates that power on you....... I dont want the backlash :eek: 

post #1406 of 2022

 

So far the best after-market earpads for the Sony seem to be these Shure pads... almost perfect fit and much higher comfort.

 

Shure HPAEC1840 Replacement Velour Ear Pads

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q0POT4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #1407 of 2022

spent an hour last night swapping between my T5p and 7520 with the velour Shure pads.  T5p marginally wins but it was pretty close.  Vocals seem a bit more recessed on the 7520 and slightly less visceral impact.  Also the T5p are about a click or two more efficient from an ipod touch.  7520 wins though considering price and travel durability for throwing in a bag or knocking around on a trip.  Hardest part now is deciding which one to take with me when I go somewhere.

post #1408 of 2022

What differences do you hear with those pads compared with the stock?

post #1409 of 2022

For my 7520, I have bought and tried both the Shure HPAEC840 earpads (leather) and the Shure SRH 940 earpads (velour).

Unfortunately, I hear more sibilance and less bass with both the Shure's compared to the original Sony pads.

 

Another person will tell you something else. Ears and headshapes are unique and driver position in relation to the ear is everything. Apparently, the Shure pads makes the 7520 sit differently on my head and shifts the driver position and thus ruins the experience. The Shure pads are slightly deeper and therefore the drivers will sit further away from the ear (and bring a change in sound as a result).

post #1410 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

For my 7520, I have bought and tried both the Shure HPAEC840 earpads (leather) and the Shure SRH 940 earpads (velour).

Unfortunately, I hear more sibilance and less bass with both the Shure's compared to the original Sony pads.

 

Another person will tell you something else. Ears and headshapes are unique and driver position in relation to the ear is everything. Apparently, the Shure pads makes the 7520 sit differently on my head and shifts the driver position and thus ruins the experience. The Shure pads are slightly deeper and therefore the drivers will sit further away from the ear (and bring a change in sound as a result).

 

I think starfly had the same experience if I remember correctly.. Whether the change is good or bad is, as you say, individual. However, my personal feeling is that the original Sony pads are a deliberate part of the design and that changing them is likely to be detrimental to the sound. Fortunately I have no comfort issues with the original pads. In fact, I actually find them very comfortable despite having largish ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520